Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Cognitive Behavioural Therapy  (Read 17003 times)

Catbus

• First Flush
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
« on: November 19, 2023, 10:36:48 PM »

I don't know how many of you read the report about how Cognitive Behavioural Therapy is being touted as a way to help menopausal women deal with symptoms like hot flushes and night sweats and I'm at a loss to see how talking about is going to stop the horrendous hot flashes women suffer from.
Out of interest I looked up what CBT was and it's something that is very helpful with problems caused by mental health issues, but hot flushes are not a mental health issue, it's hormonal and how is talking about it going to stop it? Are we to sit down and tell our hormones to stop being so naughty? My hot flushes are like a Martini - anytime, any place, anywhere, how can I talk myself out of having one when I don't know when one will hit?
All this report told me that there is still incredible ignorance about the menopause out there, I would guess from those who have never struggled with it. And it's clear they still think that it's all in our heads.
I wonder if  anyone else feels this way.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2023, 10:07:48 AM »

Yep.  Both I and Hurdity began threads - I copied and pasted the responses on mine. 

CBT did nothing for my mental health phobia at all  :'(

Would it have helped my excruitioing  heavy periods ...........

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2023, 10:08:32 AM »

The thread is in 'all things menopause'

Dierdre

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2023, 10:58:37 AM »

I've been having CBT and it's good for general anxiety but not health anxiety in my opinion. I've been having a lot a problems with GSM recently, atrophy flareups and thrush and there's been nothing my therapist can do to help that, I need medications and the fact it's hard to get to see a doctor for this is what is causing my anxiety!

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2023, 11:29:16 AM »

Emma has added a link which states: Greater emphasis on the importance and effectiveness of CBT is well placed :  >:(