Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Shortness of breath  (Read 4689 times)

Ladymadonna

• First Flush
Shortness of breath
« on: November 13, 2023, 02:30:12 PM »

Hi new to the forum, I’ve been suffering from constant air hunger since July and having to take in deep breaths. I’ve had a normal chest x ray and normal bloods done. It isn’t anxiety related either as GP gave me Citalopram which made no difference either. I’ve been back to GP again and last week had a CT scan and referral to Respiratory clinic on the 2 week pathway even though nothing showed up on x ray etc, just a precaution. The air hunger is there constantly Morning noon and night. I just wondered if anybody else out there has suffered with this please. As I’m sick of feeling like this. Thanks

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Shortness of breath
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2023, 03:28:53 PM »

Do you sing?   My music teacher told me that very few people actually breathe correctly.  We exist on short breaths rather than using the whole lung capacity.

Do you play a wind instrument: again you will have to breath properly.

It can be scary.  Sometimes I feel bloated which makes drawing a full breath impossible so I pant ........ not to much or I go dizzy.

:welcomemm:

Ladymadonna

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2023, 04:00:02 PM »

Hi thanks for replying, no I don’t sing but I might give it a go if it helps. I don’t know if this is menopause related or another issue altogether. I’m 53 and still having periods.

flossie fiddler

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2023, 04:13:54 PM »

Might it be asthma? I was diagnosed as an adult in my 40s, but looking back, I realised that I probably had it in a very mild form for most of my life. It was a stressful time in my life that made it bad enough that I sought medical advice.

Ladymadonna

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2023, 04:35:55 PM »

I have wondered if it’s asthma, hopefully they’ll do breathing tests at my respiratory appointment next week. I suffer from really bad health anxiety so, I’ve convinced myself I’ve got some terminal illness.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2023, 04:38:25 PM »

Yep we've all had terminal illness - we have a thread somewhere, I'll bump it  ::)

Health complaint of the day .......... so U R not alone!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 04:58:58 PM by CLKD »

flossie fiddler

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2023, 04:48:32 PM »

When I went to my respiratory appt, I asked the question “do you think it could be asthma?” My GP had said no, as I wasn’t wheezing. On doing research, 40% of people with asthma don’t wheeze. My main symptom was coughing and feeling like an elephant was sitting on my chest, especially when lying down.

Hope you get some answers.

I have wondered if it’s asthma, hopefully they’ll do breathing tests at my respiratory appointment next week. I suffer from really bad health anxiety so, I’ve convinced myself I’ve got some terminal illness.

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2023, 06:46:37 PM »

Hi.

Just to say, when I first started on hrt, my anxiety was so bad I couldn't breathe properly.
Just couldn't seem to take a deep breath and fill my lungs with oxygen. Best way I managed was to bend forward slightly and breathe in, that helped a lot.
I thought I'd developed asthma too, (didn't go to doctor) but as my anxiety eased, so did the need for breathing in so much.
I still have it slightly now when my anxiety plays up, but thankfully,  my anxiety isn't like that anymore.

Ladymadonna

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2023, 11:29:14 AM »

Thanks for replying jillydoll, I have had anxiety meds and they didn’t seem to make a difference TBH. But you never know with this menopause lark whether it’s related or not.
I’m not taking any HRT and if I’m honest every time I go to GP with any sort of possible menopause related thing not one of them has ever even mentioned the M word let alone HRT. It’s like they don’t like to talk about it.

Emma74

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2023, 07:21:50 PM »

Once you have everything else ruled out you should consider the possibility it is anxiety. You said you have health anxiety. Anxiety trips us up in many different ways and mine was through the roof before starting HRT. Getting a bit better now but I knew it wasn't my 'normal' anxiety which I have loved with most of my life. Of its your hormones then antidepressants probably won't make a difference. I hope you get to the bottom of it x