Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Hi, new here, and new to menopause...  (Read 4271 times)

Enla

• First Flush
Hi, new here, and new to menopause...
« on: November 07, 2023, 12:24:17 PM »

Hello all, thanks for letting me join.

I am 52 years old (I have a history of PCO) so all my adult life really never had any periods. So menopause has really sneaked up on me. I have for the last 3 years had episodes of extreme tiredness, some hot flashes, and a dry vagina. (But never put it down to Menopause)  I have just coped with it....But I am absolutely knackered now, got such night sweats waking up every second hour, and it takes 15- 30 min to fall asleep.  So for a few weeks now starting to learn more about Menopause and....still learning. But I have no one to talk about menopause. Mum and MIL passed away, and sisters are younger than me. So looking forward to reading, and learning, and getting advice. Thanks in advance.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hi, new here, and new to menopause...
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2023, 01:08:13 PM »

:welcomemm:  browse round.  Join in.   Make notes ;-)

peri-menopause can certainly sneak up!  As oestrogen levels drop the body may become dry: inside and out  ::).  Skin, vagina, vulva, deep in the ears, eyes ....... the dry vagina can be sorted with a prescription from the GP/Nurse Practitioner.  U don't need blood tests or examinations.  The 2 main scripts are either 'vagifem' or 'ovestin' - which R inserted into the vagina at night for 2-3 weeks then as necessary: some control symptoms by inserting every 3rd and 5/6th nights, others require treatment every night. 

A mositorisor can help too.  'yes' or 'sylc' products are useful, some ladies find that 'vagifem' internally with a smear of 'ovestin' on the outer labia helps.  Don't let a medic tell U that we can have 'too much oestrogen replacement'.  Nor that U R 'too young' ......

Ask away. 

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2023, 09:36:50 PM »

MayB get the dry vagina sorted first.   

The morning waking hormone: coristol : can cause anxiety and breaks up sleep in the early hours. 

Years ago when I was in a busy job I would take 1 Kwells in the week to ensure a proper night's sleep.  I knew 1 tablet would help as did anti-histamine in more recent years.  That way I didn't worry particularly about being without sleep.

Ayesha

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2023, 10:39:21 PM »

Welcome Enla,
It was because of the exhaustion caused by hot flushes that I started HRT, I was on it for about five years just to get me over the worst of the symptoms of the menopause.  A few years down the line I had to have topical HRT to ease the symptoms of Vaginal Atrophy, which CLKD has explained fully. 

There are loads of posts on here that will help you and using the search box is a good start.

Enla

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2023, 09:59:17 AM »

Welcome Enla,
It was because of the exhaustion caused by hot flushes that I started HRT, I was on it for about five years just to get me over the worst of the symptoms of the menopause.  A few years down the line I had to have topical HRT to ease the symptoms of Vaginal Atrophy, which CLKD has explained fully. 

There are loads of posts on here that will help you and using the search box is a good start.

Thank you for your advice, I am reluctant to HRT due to my mums history of cancer. (Ovarian cancer, that spread to bowls and lining of the tummy, then later on Lung cancer several tumors removed by sugery x 3 times. And in middle of treatment for this did she have a mastectomy for breast cancer. But will read up on HRT, and rethink.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2023, 10:01:37 AM »

I can understand your reluctance.  Such a sad time for you  :-\  :hug:

VA treatment is a small amount of active ingredient replacing oestrogen lost = dryness.  If U don't want to go the HRT route, maybe try 'sylc' or 'yes' mositorisors whilst seeking an appt at a dedicated menopause clinic? 

Let us know how you get on?  Was your Mum using any form of HRT?

Enla

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2023, 10:03:16 AM »

:welcomemm:  browse round.  Join in.   Make notes ;-)

peri-menopause can certainly sneak up!  As oestrogen levels drop the body may become dry: inside and out  ::).  Skin, vagina, vulva, deep in the ears, eyes ....... the dry vagina can be sorted with a prescription from the GP/Nurse Practitioner.  U don't need blood tests or examinations.  The 2 main scripts are either 'vagifem' or 'ovestin' - which R inserted into the vagina at night for 2-3 weeks then as necessary: some control symptoms by inserting every 3rd and 5/6th nights, others require treatment every night. 

A mositorisor can help too.  'yes' or 'sylc' products are useful, some ladies find that 'vagifem' internally with a smear of 'ovestin' on the outer labia helps.  Don't let a medic tell U that we can have 'too much oestrogen replacement'.  Nor that U R 'too young' ......

Ask away.

I actually tried vagifem 1.5  to 2 years ago, and did not notice much of a diffidence, maybe I did not stay on it long enough. But it is now 2 years down the line...

Enla

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2023, 10:10:26 AM »

I can understand your reluctance.  Such a sad time for you  :-\  :hug:

VA treatment is a small amount of active ingredient replacing oestrogen lost = dryness.  If U don't want to go the HRT route, maybe try 'sylc' or 'yes' mositorisors whilst seeking an appt at a dedicated menopause clinic? 

Let us know how you get on?  Was your Mum using any form of HRT?

She was after her hysterectomy I think, I am not sure. (She was 50 years old when they found the ovarian cancer) I was at the time 21 years old or so cant remember.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2023, 10:53:40 AM by Enla »

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2023, 11:33:32 AM »

It may be totally unrelated for your Mum.  If U are at the same surgery as she attended, U could ask for information if her Notes have been filed to find out if she had HRT and when.

How long did U use the 'vagifem' for?  It may take a few weeks to notice a difference.

Enla

• First Flush
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2023, 04:03:30 PM »

It may be totally unrelated for your Mum.  If U are at the same surgery as she attended, U could ask for information if her Notes have been filed to find out if she had HRT and when.

How long did U use the 'vagifem' for?  It may take a few weeks to notice a difference.

I am Swedish, but I live in the U.K mum was treated in Sweden, so atm I am not sure where to turn to, to find out that information. Going back home in January so will visit the surgery and see if they are able to look into it. (It should be on her notes, if they still have them sense she past away Jan 2 this year). But they would have to go back like 30 years. But a good point...never thought of doing that. I could also try to get hold of her patolog, who researched her. Thank you for your advice.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2023, 04:36:08 PM »

Could U send an e-mail to the Surgery to save time on your return?