Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Magnesium supplement  (Read 30354 times)

Elliebee

Re: Magnesium supplement
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2023, 10:57:54 AM »

Hi Flowerpot , stools softer than normal but not diarrhoea. No consistent change to frequency of going to loo. Had stomach cramps and mild nausea too.

Ann B

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2023, 12:24:32 PM »

Hi Elliebee

I take 1,000 mg of NOW magnesium oxide powder ie 580mgs elemental magnesium every night.  This is 260 mg more than the 'recommended daily allowance'.  There are some proponents of magnesium that recommend more than the RDA. 

I take the oxide version because it has lower gut absorption and therefore has a more laxative effect.  The amount I take is just above my bowel tolerance level.  I suffer from chronic constipation and this is the best and safest treatment imo.  The Japanese medics have been using this method for decades, and there are research papers on it.

Magnesium has also many health benefits.  It is synergistic with vitamin d3 and aids its absorption.  I am able to achieve better levels of serum vitamin d because of this.  It is also good for bone maintenance in post-menopausal women, particularly with vitamin d3.  It is excellent for anxiety and migraines etc.

For the general health benefits, you should be aiming for 320 mg of 'elemental' magnesium daily.  It can affect the bowels by drawing fluid to the bowels, (hence your possible discomfort) so you should opt for the kinder versions like glycinate.  These versions also provide better gut absorption, to get the magnesium benefits.

IMO you seem to be overdoing it by taking frequent Epsom salt baths and taking supplemental magnesium.  I would suggest only one method.  The baths are particularly safe and effective in getting magnesium into your system via a large skin area.  This avoids the gut and also gives fairly quick relief to aches and pains.  There is a research paper on this.  You obviously have to get the quantity of Epsom salts to bath water correct.

If you opt for the oral method you have to up your water/fluid intake due to the bowel absorption. Take a large glass of water with your pills, and aim for around 2 litres of fluid intake daily.

We have to be more careful when we get older because our kidneys gradually lose their efficiency.  There can be a risk of magnesium toxicity when overdosing, particularly in the elderly and with those who unknowingly have ckd (chronic kidney disease).

Having said all the above I too am probably taking more oral magnesium than I should, but unfortunately, I have to go slightly above bowel tolerance for it to be effective, as  Japanese women are prescribed.

Ann

Elliebee

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2023, 03:47:45 PM »

Thank you Ann. I’m going to stick to the Epsom salt baths from now on.

Elliebee

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2023, 03:48:37 PM »

Penguin when I say I’ll be batch cooking and really mean my lovely husband will be!  🤣

FayeZ

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2023, 04:08:51 PM »

I'm currently taking A.Vogel Menopause Support tablets. Website says that "Each tablet contains 316 mg of magnesium citrate, 69.5 mg of soy bean dry extract (36% isoflavones) and 35 mg Hibiscus extract and 23 mg magnesium oxide.".
https://www.avogel.co.uk/herbal-remedies/soy-isoflavones/index.php

Also says "1 tablet contains 56.5 mg magnesium." I'm finding this confusing!

I also sometimes take a Boots multi vitamins and minerals tablet which also contains magnesium.

Penguin

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2023, 04:31:23 PM »

I'm currently taking A.Vogel Menopause Support tablets. Website says that "Each tablet contains 316 mg of magnesium citrate, 69.5 mg of soy bean dry extract (36% isoflavones) and 35 mg Hibiscus extract and 23 mg magnesium oxide.".
https://www.avogel.co.uk/herbal-remedies/soy-isoflavones/index.php

Also says "1 tablet contains 56.5 mg magnesium." I'm finding this confusing!

I also sometimes take a Boots multi vitamins and minerals tablet which also contains magnesium.

The 56.5 will be the elemental magnesium, it's always a much lower number and is the one you need to count when calculating how much you are taking.

FayeZ

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2023, 03:02:22 PM »

Thanks, Penguin. The Boots multi-vits are 60 mg magnesium per tablet so on a day where I take both that would only be a total of 116.5 mg.

Penguin

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2023, 03:55:10 PM »

Thanks, Penguin. The Boots multi-vits are 60 mg magnesium per tablet so on a day where I take both that would only be a total of 116.5 mg.

Yes that's a small amount x

Julia Dizzy

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2023, 01:09:10 PM »

Hi, I use BestImmune Magnesium glycinate with vit D3. It says ingredients are "Vitamin D3 1000IU; Magnesium Glycinate 400mg (providing 60mg of Elemental Magnesium); Plant-based Microcrystalline Cellulose". Dosage 1 or two tablets a day. Sugar free, yeast free, gluten free, lactose free, GMO free. £9.47 for 100 on Amazon (if I'm allowed to say that!)

I also use a nice magnesium spray on my aching joints at night called "Harrogate Organics Natural Repair Magnesium Spray, Ultra Pure Magnesium for Sleep, Sore Muscle Repair and Restless Legs Menopause Relief Easy to use with no Smell or Grease on Your Skin.150ml" (copy and pasted from Amazon). I prefer it to the Better you one which I found too greasy...but it is £22 so not cheap.

Elliebee I shall check out the one you take to compare, thanks.

Pages: 1 [2]