Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Acid reflux/gerd?  (Read 5782 times)

Mousie

Acid reflux/gerd?
« on: November 03, 2023, 01:30:26 PM »

Looking for others experiences please. A couple of years after menopause I started with acid reflux off and on. Never really bad enough for a GP visit.
Mid Sept I started with acid reflux after a heavish meal out. I don't get chest pain but can feel it in the back of my throat and some mornings my teeth/gums feel sensitive. Some days I got the 'something stuck in my chest' feeling.
6wks on saw GP. Sods law the symptoms disappeared couple of days before appt. However been put on lanzoprazole for 4wks. I'm 7days in and 2 days ago the reflux started again.
I'd appreciate any insight on 2 questions;
How long does it take before the tablets work? Is 7 days too soon?
Can anxiety trigger it? I ask this as I can get anxious over the daftest things and was getting worked up over arranging my mums 85th birthday celebrations. The day after, and until 2 days ago, the symptoms eased dramatically. Now I am getting worked up over an upcoming holiday
(I know I know....crikey things like that were a breeze pre menopause).
Thank you
p.s. I'm also waiting on an endoscope

Penguin

Re: Acid reflux/gerd?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2023, 01:47:11 PM »

The fact it comes and goes rather than being there permanently is good.

To answer your questions really quickly, yes anxiety can both cause and exacerbate reflux and all digestive complaints.

And yes, 7 days is too early, you need to give it at least a month on the ppi.

Have you worked out any trigger foods? Eat little and often, don't eat at least 3 hours before bed, if it's bad at night, get a wedge pillow or prop yourself up at night.

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2023, 04:25:52 PM »

I completely agree with Penguin,anxiety can definitely give you reflux.I'd also start a food diary as certain foods can certainly trigger it,with me it's tomatoes,so now, I keep well away from them in any shape or form.

Penguin

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2023, 04:34:29 PM »

I completely agree with Penguin,anxiety can definitely give you reflux.I'd also start a food diary as certain foods can certainly trigger it,with me it's tomatoes,so now, I keep well away from them in any shape or form.

Tomatoes for me now too, it's very annoying isn't it! Salad is just weird without tomatoes

jaypo

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2023, 06:15:28 PM »

Ha, I know penguin,can't have lasagne or chilli anymore either 😩

Katherine

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2023, 08:19:42 PM »

Wine is a trigger for me, and tinned tomatoes. And citrus fruits.

Mousie

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2023, 09:04:40 PM »

Thanks! Glad to hear it might take longer than I thought for the tablets to work. So here's hoping.
Also never thought about a food diary....I'll get started on that tomorrow. I hope it's not tomatoes as we eat loads  ::) ;D

jaypo

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2023, 08:53:15 AM »

Thing is mousie, I could eat them perfectly well until meno hit 🤷‍♀️

Katherine

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2023, 11:58:07 AM »

I got reflux issues in peri. I think it might be because the muscles can loosen with age, including the ones that keep food from coming up. I used to be able to eat then go straight to bed just over a year ago.

Mousie

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2023, 07:43:51 AM »

Oh the joy of being able to go straight to bed after eating out!  :D Those days are gone I think  ::) I'm on holiday in Barcelona and eating late so was up till 12.30am last night  ;D
I think it's a vicious circle...if anxiety makes it worse so then I worry and make myself worse...when I need to get myself less anxious. Sigh.

Penguin

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2023, 07:56:03 AM »

Oh the joy of being able to go straight to bed after eating out!  :D Those days are gone I think  ::) I'm on holiday in Barcelona and eating late so was up till 12.30am last night  ;D
I think it's a vicious circle...if anxiety makes it worse so then I worry and make myself worse...when I need to get myself less anxious. Sigh.

Enjoy yourself on holiday, then deal with it when you get back. If bad on hol  swig some gaviscon advance before bed and sleep propped up. Don't let it ruin your hol though, or you'll kick yourself when you get home. The food in Barcelona is amazing. I did that over half term in France, ate any and everything I wanted (even had a sneaky glass of wine most nights) and it was okay again within a week of eating super bland when we got home. Saying that, I ruined it again with fish and chips on Friday night so have been suffering this weekend, won't do that again 🙈

Mousie

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2023, 04:18:36 PM »

;D
I think that's what started this whole episode off!! A portion of fish ships n peas  ;D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2023, 04:22:04 PM »

Marmite on toast for breakfast ..........  :-X :-\

Penguin

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2023, 04:43:10 PM »

;D
I think that's what started this whole episode off!! A portion of fish ships n peas  ;D

Oh Mousie, I feel your pain. I did enjoy them though 🤣

NeverTooOld

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2023, 07:04:25 PM »

Hi Mousie,

Not sure if it is relevant to you as you don't mention it but are you on HRT, if you are and are taking Utrogestan that can exacerbate acid reflux.

I suffer from acid reflux and found when I started on Utrogestan orally that it made things so much worse. I now take my Utrogestan vaginally and this has helped amazingly.

Pages: [1] 2