Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Winter darkness  (Read 9275 times)

Taz2

Re: Winter darkness
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2023, 10:39:19 AM »

How long does he sit in front of the lamp Ju Ju? As I'm reverse SAD I think they should invent a reverse lamp for me  ;D

Gnatty

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2023, 12:19:04 PM »

I think it's called turning the lamp off!!

Taz2

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2023, 12:29:32 PM »

I think it's called turning the lamp off!!

I guess I need a dark room to sit in when the evenings start getting lighter  ;D

Katherine

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2023, 12:33:19 PM »

I bought one of those lamps about 10 years ago, a really good one, but it was too bright for me to have on in the room let alone sit in front of. It was also nothing like daylight, just a dazzling white light, totally pointless so I returned it. I’ve heard they can be helpful for many people though.

getting_old

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2023, 08:21:24 PM »

I think I'm the same as you Taz as I love to be able to draw the curtains in the summer and close out the light. I really don't ming the shorter days, except for the fact that they mean stuff has to happen earlier in the day.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2023, 10:02:08 AM »

It helps if there's a good sunset ...........

Katherine

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2023, 11:54:51 AM »

I love sunsets if outdoors or I can see it from inside. But I’m usually indoors working and the room just gradually darkens. I’m going to put some nice fairy lights round my shelves and shut the curtains before it gets dark.

CapriCapri

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2023, 02:44:19 PM »

Katherine et al, I feel for you.  The winter drags me down and the menopause seems to multiply the effect by 100.  It's the grey and dark rather than the cold.  On the bleak days I can literally feel my spirits sink and if I go to bed any earlier, it won't be worth getting up.  I find TV show or films set in sunny places (which I watch in bed, obvs) help.  The lamp and vitamin D help a little bit but this is becoming a bigger issue as I get older.  Sunny, warm wishes to you all.

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2023, 04:47:55 PM »

The other day I turned on 'escape to the sun' rather than watching antiques road show  ;D

Taz2

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2023, 05:11:59 PM »

Whereas, I'm finally in my right place with the onset of the darkest winter (nearly) days. I've been for my end of the day walk and it was drizzly and windy and getting darkish but I just felt that 'home' feeling. Strange I know and most professionals link it to depression but this is my happy time. Can't begin to understand it or explain it really. It's just me. March is my worst month when spring can no longer be ignored. April not good. May I'm getting used to it. June is great as it has the longest day. July and August are heading slowly towards September which is when I will feel how most people feel in March . Topsy turvy me  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2023, 06:28:29 PM »

However humans have developed to go to bed at dusk and rise at dawn in order to deal with daily issues.  It's safer outside by day, however: in that Cave overnight, who knows what's lurking in the dark  ;D which is where fear of spiders, frogs, toads, bats comes in. 

My fav time of day: mid-morning once I have decided whether anxiety will be a problem. When I can decide a plan dependent upon the weather.  My fav place: bath time followed by our Big Bed with very good book.

"Kicking Autumn Leaves in the Wood".  ;-)

Taz2

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2023, 08:23:41 PM »

However humans have developed to go to bed at dusk and rise at dawn in order to deal with daily issues

That would work for us I suppose but not in other countries such as Sweden where you'd be awake for 18 hours non-stop in the summer but in the Winter you'd only have about 6 hours of daylight to get everything done in then have to sleep for 18 hours. I wonder how that did actually work. Not thought of that before.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2023, 08:31:59 PM »

Necessity.  No light even candles for many years.  I would hate to live too far North, can't imagine months of darkness.  I would miss the seasons though even those seem to be blurring into one of rain, a few days of ☀️ followed by rain and gales  :'(
Pages: 1 [2]