Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Stomach / GERD / heartburn - whatever it is. Help!  (Read 52576 times)

Taz2

Re: Stomach / GERD / heartburn - whatever it is. Help!
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2023, 11:06:04 AM »

If the lower sphincter was relaxed - would this show on endoscopy? Anyone know?

No you won't be able to tell from endoscopy. To check the sphincter you will need an esophageal manometry test.

I have similar feelings to you and was diagnosed with gastritis and hiatus hernia which had caused ulcerated oesophagus. I'm on omeprazole but when the hollow feeling develops my consultant has given permission to change to esomeprazole for one month which sorts it. I don't like being on a PPI but the ulcerated oesophagus was very painful ( and could lead to cancer) and I also hate the hollow feeling which is  just like hunger pangs. Mine was always worse during the progesterone phase but I'm oestrogen only hrt now due to having had a hysterectomy so things are easier. One thing, though, is that gastritis and the hollow feeling is often linked to stomach ulcers. Have you had any investigations?

Taz x

CrispyChick

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2023, 11:19:52 AM »

Thanks Taz

Very interesting.

Yes. Had all the tests going. Had endoscopy around march, they found some strange indent in my oesophagus so was sent for CT and oesophagus manometry. All clear - so I can't have a weakened sphincter either???

So there is absolutely nothing wrong with me. Ppi or H2 blockers - no matter what dose, make it all worse and within 3 days I am in agony in my stomach and with severe heartburn. I've tried many times.

So how does esomeoprazole differ from omeprazole?

Ok. It's looking like it might be the progesterone. Gutted. But it's been going on all year. I can't take it any more. It did calm when I had a wee mini pill trial in the summer, by the second month if was calming. But due to other side affects I had to stop. I have been messing with prog dose, so I was hoping consistency would sort it out...but it's not yet.  >:(
« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 11:21:48 AM by CrispyChick »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2023, 11:25:31 AM »

H.pylori?

If you are finding HRT difficult then maybe stop for 3 months?  to give your hormones a readjustment opportunity.  No medication is worth feeling worse for ? 

CrispyChick

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2023, 12:24:58 PM »

You make a very good point clkd.

Something to think about.

I'm h pylori neg. Honestly, there is nothing medically wrong with me. Which is great...but...!!!????  >:(

Penguin

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2023, 12:42:48 PM »

You make a very good point clkd.

Something to think about.

I'm h pylori neg. Honestly, there is nothing medically wrong with me. Which is great...but...!!!????  >:(

What progesterone are you taking and is it oral?

CrispyChick

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2023, 12:59:22 PM »

No, it's cream. Low dose from compounded clinic. I mean, it's hardly going to be super strong.

But like I admitted somewhere on this thread, it was me taking 1 utro (well, half of one) that triggered this episode. But that was 3 weeks ago now.

Penguin

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2023, 02:58:51 PM »

No, it's cream. Low dose from compounded clinic. I mean, it's hardly going to be super strong.

But like I admitted somewhere on this thread, it was me taking 1 utro (well, half of one) that triggered this episode. But that was 3 weeks ago now.

Ah okay must have missed that bit. You poor thing. It's so hard not knowing what is causing what isn't it, i feel for you. Surely half of 1 utrogestan couldn't have caused this much ongoing strife 😱. I said to my husband this morning that I feel my hrt is poisoning me!
 10 months in, still in peri, and I feel ready to take a break from it all and see what happens.

CLKD

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2023, 03:02:03 PM »

Do it now B4 the Festive Season? 

Penguin

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2023, 03:14:10 PM »

Do it now B4 the Festive Season?

I've just done a new post CLKD, would welcome your thoughts on how!

CLKD

« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2023, 03:49:23 PM »

Replied there ..........

My reflux becomes worse as the day goes by and I eat  :-\

Taz2

« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2023, 04:43:39 PM »

Have you finished the antibiotics yet? Can you restart your other meds now? Reflux is miserable

CLKD

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2023, 04:56:41 PM »

Hi!  ABs done.  Discussing ongoing meds with GP next week.  Not keen to restart the PPIs due to potential bone loss issues.

Penguin

« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2023, 05:02:33 PM »

Hi!  ABs done.  Discussing ongoing meds with GP next week.  Not keen to restart the PPIs due to potential bone loss issues.

Do you think the reflux has lessened?

Taz2

« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2023, 05:14:51 PM »

Are you on a high dose?

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2023, 05:16:36 PM »

Reflux becomes noticeable about mid-afternoon as my digestive system gets used, by evening I have to sit up in the bath and bed for a couple of hours.  FortunatelY I have a collection of good books.

It has lessened in the time it begins to niggle. 

Don't know Taz ........ would need to look at the packet.  A small capsule swallowed at breakfast. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4