Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Stomach / GERD / heartburn - whatever it is. Help!  (Read 52584 times)

CrispyChick

Stomach / GERD / heartburn - whatever it is. Help!
« on: October 26, 2023, 01:37:19 PM »

I'll keep this short.

For the last 12 months I'm having endless bouts of stomach issues.

Bloating, acid, severe heartburn, gastritis, chest pain (inflammation) - my whole stomach feels inflamed.

There is nothing wrong with me - ECG, chest x-ray, scan, endoscopy, CT scan and oesophagus monitor all completed recently. Famotidine or PPI make it worse  >:(. Morphs into excruciating heartburn.

I've tried every remedy I can think of.

This is hormonal. It flares as my hormones change. Im in peri. 47

But it's agony.

Any remedies for hormonal digestive problems???

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 01:40:38 PM by CrispyChick »

Penguin

Re: Stomach / GERD / heartburn - whatever it is. Help!
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2023, 01:50:03 PM »

Have you been tested for h-pylori?

Penguin

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2023, 02:25:37 PM »

Also, are you taking hrt? Both estrogen and progesterone can relax the lower esophagal sphincter and make reflux worse.
I think the food diary is a great idea, intolerances can develop as part of meno, mine are now dairy, wheat and tomatoes. I don't fare great with alcohol, spicy food or anything fried or too rich either. Things cause gas and bloating that didn't before, I think you need to work out your individual triggers.
I take gaviscon advance at night when I'm going through a flare up of this and it does help, but then makes me bloated!
I also had a bad bout of gastritis last year, ppi for a month helped a bit but I think it was only really cleaning my diet up and taking supplements to line the digestive tract which got rid of it. I still use one daily called Colex. Two each morning with a large glass of water. Never have tablets on empty tummy (this is why I use utrogestan vaginally), or coffee / alcohol before food. And don't let my tummy get too empty as that can also cause problems. It is so hard, i really feel for youx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2023, 02:45:37 PM »

You have my symptnathy, [long story short] I had to stop Omeprazolol last week and reflux has been problematic.  Milk of Magnesia is helping, I have the rebound cough too  >:(.  I'm currently eating rice pudding from a tin for breakfast to line the digestive tract followed by custard from a tin B4 I take any mediation.  DH did a roast chicken dinner last night which was OK-ish.

Cutting out spicy foods, tomatoes for example, may help.

Booroo

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2023, 04:46:03 PM »

You have my symptnathy, [long story short] I had to stop Omeprazolol last week and reflux has been problematic.  Milk of Magnesia is helping, I have the rebound cough too  >:(.  I'm currently eating rice pudding from a tin for breakfast to line the digestive tract followed by custard from a tin B4 I take any mediation.  DH did a roast chicken dinner last night which was OK-ish.

Cutting out spicy foods, tomatoes for example, may help.

I hope you are ok in stopping, was it to do with kidney function if don’t mind me asking? You always reply to me so here’s giving hug back to you

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2023, 06:04:39 PM »

The jury is 'out' as to whether I should/not have stopped it with/not Erhthromycin.  Rebound reflux and cough, Milk of Magnesia swallowed. 

Kidney function blood tests due to statins  ::)

I thought of U CChick last night when I had to sit up in bed  >:(

CrispyChick

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2023, 07:15:04 PM »

Thanks folks.

Thanks for the special thought clkd 🤣

Mine doesn't bother me at night. Weirdly. Just every waking hour.

So. I've decided to do a diet trial. Cutting out dairy, to support my son - as we're trialling that for his acne. Also going to do a short trial on low histamine diet. It's very bland. Worth a shot.  :)

Penguin

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2023, 07:42:01 PM »

Thanks folks.

Thanks for the special thought clkd 🤣

Mine doesn't bother me at night. Weirdly. Just every waking hour.

So. I've decided to do a diet trial. Cutting out dairy, to support my son - as we're trialling that for his acne. Also going to do a short trial on low histamine diet. It's very bland. Worth a shot.  :)

Hi CC

There are two books that might interest you: the Acid Watchers Diet and Dropping Acid. Both know their stuff re reflux and give lists of food for both initial phase and then maintenance. A bit American but useful.

Also perhaps consider removing gluten as part of elimination? Is that removed as part of a low histamine diet too? I don't know much about histamine.

Do you ever wake up with with a sore throat? If so, you could be getting silent reflux at night, which is a bit different. Hopefully not tho, daytime sounds bad enough!

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2023, 08:08:19 PM »

I've never had a sore throat with reflux, however last night liquid forced it's way up  >:( :-X

I wouldn't alter too much in my diet at once or it wouldn't be obvious what was/not working  :-\

More Milk of Magnesia about an hour ago

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2023, 08:13:43 PM »

The acid coming up into the throat is what causes ulceration and soreness. The lining of the oesophagus isn't able to cope with the acid in the same way that the stomach lining does. I hate that night time reflux 

Carabelle

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2023, 04:53:44 AM »

This is an interesting thread as I’m in the same boat with reflux problems. I’ve been taking Lansoprazole for over a year and to an extent it keeps things at bay-ish. However it has flared up recently and is driving me nuts. I started back on the HRT patches last Saturday and now I feel worse! The whole thing stresses me out and I think that just exacerbates everything. Getting a fair bit of intermittent hiccups too in the last day or 2. Just wish it would all go away!! So annoying and tiresome.

Penguin

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2023, 06:23:32 AM »

This is an interesting thread as I’m in the same boat with reflux problems. I’ve been taking Lansoprazole for over a year and to an extent it keeps things at bay-ish. However it has flared up recently and is driving me nuts. I started back on the HRT patches last Saturday and now I feel worse! The whole thing stresses me out and I think that just exacerbates everything. Getting a fair bit of intermittent hiccups too in the last day or 2. Just wish it would all go away!! So annoying and tiresome.

I never had any form of reflux until I started hrt, now I get intermittent silent reflux which is very annoying. No acid noticeably coming up but burning feeling in throat which is typical of silent reflux / lpr and burping after eating. It is different to GERD in that it doesn't have the really obvious symptoms. Mine is definitely hormone related. Going to try and clean up my diet for a month when we get back from France tonight. If that doesn't work, am going to have a break from hrt. Its very annoying.

CrispyChick

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2023, 08:00:46 AM »

Ah penguin and Clarabelle - this is exactly my case.

I dont have conventional gerd - actually, wouldn't that have shown up on the endoscopy??? Maybe not.

What I have is constant discomfort in my stomach, but it moves around and brings intermittent acid. It was brought on by my stupidly taking a bigger dose of progesterone - which I instantly reduced.

I've had it on and off all year whilst trying to get on progesterone. As I up or down dose if seems to be a trigger. I'm on progesterone only therapy under a bhrt clinic - before anyone freaks about my dosing  ;D

So it's definitely hormonal. It is very tiresome Clarabelle. Trying to stabalise on hormones is bad enough without this hell thrown in along the way  >:(

I've had bouts of gastritis previously on the mini pill - they always responded to H2 blockers of ppi. But all the stuff this year won't respond, in fact, they make it worse.

Absolutely nothing to see in my stomach or oesophagus, whereas previously, the gastritis was seen.

I'm with you penguin, its diet or stop the hormones.

I'm trying the low histamine as it's possible gastric issues are a mast cell response and I do have a lot of allergies and high E, which I have, causes histamine. Tenuous links. But I'll try.

I've tried gluten free before - probably when I had the gastritis. Didn't seem to help.  >:(

Penguin

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2023, 08:43:30 AM »

Ah penguin and Clarabelle - this is exactly my case.

I dont have conventional gerd - actually, wouldn't that have shown up on the endoscopy??? Maybe not.

What I have is constant discomfort in my stomach, but it moves around and brings intermittent acid. It was brought on by my stupidly taking a bigger dose of progesterone - which I instantly reduced.

I've had it on and off all year whilst trying to get on progesterone. As I up or down dose if seems to be a trigger. I'm on progesterone only therapy under a bhrt clinic - before anyone freaks about my dosing  ;D

So it's definitely hormonal. It is very tiresome Clarabelle. Trying to stabalise on hormones is bad enough without this hell thrown in along the way  >:(

I've had bouts of gastritis previously on the mini pill - they always responded to H2 blockers of ppi. But all the stuff this year won't respond, in fact, they make it worse.

Absolutely nothing to see in my stomach or oesophagus, whereas previously, the gastritis was seen.

I'm with you penguin, its diet or stop the hormones.

I'm trying the low histamine as it's possible gastric issues are a mast cell response and I do have a lot of allergies and high E, which I have, causes histamine. Tenuous links. But I'll try.

I've tried gluten free before - probably when I had the gastritis. Didn't seem to help.  >:(

How are you taking the progesterone? I take utrogestan vaginally and still get digestive stuff. However I imagine orally wpuld be a lot worse as you have to take on an empty stomach, and I simply won't risk that after gastritis last year.

My understanding is that silent reflux / lpr is caused mostly by pepsin being activated in throat / larynx area and irritating it (sore throat, cough, lump in throat feeling). Originates with acid but it is not the esophagus getting irritated in this case. It is worth looking up the difference. Ppi doesn't work as well for lpr even though it is the first line of treatment offered.

One thing I didn't mention that you could try is water with a high pH. I buy one from Amazon called Actiph, which has a pH of 9. I glug some of that down during flare ups and it helps rinse the pepsin away. Coconut water also helps, but only the really high quality ones without anything else in.

Zinc carnosine is also a good supplement for lpr. There is a good supplement for gastric mucosa that you can get that in, i used it last year. It's in my fridge back in UK, I'll post the name of it later.

CrispyChick

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2023, 08:57:44 AM »

Thanks penguin.

Are u on holiday?  :)

Interesting. I do t seem to have the symptoms of lpr at the moment, right now it's a trial inflammation in my stomach. Which would suggest gastritis. But none found.

However, this is very interesting, as from march onwards it had morphed into a throat feeling. Extreme tightness, lump etc. Then, that just vanished around August. Now I was back trying mini pill for two months so I think consistency helped. Although I came off it and back on my Prog ok...

No throat feeling with this latest flare - yet.

I take progesterone cream. This happens even with cream. Although I do confess it was 1 oral dose that triggered this latest bout. Something I'll never do again.

Thanks for those tips. I'll look into the water.

Zinc l carnosine - I took for 3 months Dec to Feb last year - made no difference. I just dont feel this is a 'structural' thing. It feels like inflammation, hence me looking into low histamine.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4