Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Weak abdominal wall after surgeries  (Read 1996 times)

Florrie2

Weak abdominal wall after surgeries
« on: October 22, 2023, 11:19:19 AM »

Sorry if this is a bit long..

I have had two vertical lower abdominal incisions - one for a fibroid then 10 years later the scar was reopened for hysterectomy and more fibroids. Two years on I still have a weird shaped stomach that looks like I am pregnant and it gets very firm later on in the day if I have been sitting a lot (or sometimes just randomly). It goes flat when I lie down but doesn't move in at all when I tense my stomach muscles. It isn't flabby.
It won't go with exercise and when I did some more extreme sit ups, I got a bit of diastis recti at the bottom of the scar. My women's physio said she thinks I need an abdominal fascia repair and that it isn't just menopausal fat.

The doctor said it looked weird (helpful!), said there definitely wasn't a hernia and that was it. My concern is that it may cause a hernia at some point - I can put up with the lump as many women on here put up with their changed bodies!

I really don't want more surgery in that area and wondered if I could strengthen the muscles around it to support it. I have tried to find a consultant to ask but 'abdominal wall repair' came up with plastic surgeons and hernia people. I contacted a hernia person and his secretary said he can't help me as I don't have a hernia.... she also said she didn't trust plastic surgeons.

Does anyone have any suggestions on an appropriate type of consultant or had a similar experience?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2023, 11:20:59 AM by Florrie2 »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Weak abdominal wall after surgeries
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2023, 02:25:08 PM »

Get a face2face appt with a consultant, no one can give clinical advice unless you are examined.  How any any1 decide whether you have/not a hernia in a phone call?  It's also not ethical for any1 to suggest that they 'don't trust' another speciality  >:(. What ever is suggested this is your body and advice can be useful even if you decide not to undergo surgery etc..

In the meantime contact a physiotherapist interested in womens' health. 

Florrie2

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2023, 02:29:05 PM »

Thanks - maybe I need to contact another hernia person and see if they will see me.

It's my (amazing) women's physio that said I should try and see someone.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2023, 02:35:06 PM »

U R ahead of my suggestions then. 

Without Face2face U won't get far.  When did U last see the Surgeon who performed the operation?

VioletAquarius

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2023, 10:19:35 PM »

It could possibly be inflammation or gut issues, which some physios can help with (maybe just womens health physios I'm not sure).  And also maybe visceral manipulation,which i believe only physios do (again maybe just womens health physios).  But not every physiotherapist does this.

Florrie2

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2023, 11:20:14 AM »

I last saw the surgeon over two years ago. He just said it would go with exercise. He’s also retired now.

I had a few sessions with my women’s physio did a lot of massage around it and gave me some basic exercises to do but we both got to the point that it wasn’t going to help it.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2023, 11:26:27 AM »

Tnx for the update.

VioletAquarius

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2023, 11:05:38 PM »

Maybe ring around some other physios, explain what you have already tried and see if they can offer something different.  Not all physios are the same, some people can go to a few before finding one that actually helps their condition.

Florrie2

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2023, 09:17:42 PM »

Thank you  :)