Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Wood burning stoves - prompt reply  (Read 17211 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Wood burning stoves - prompt reply
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2023, 05:36:56 PM »

Our Sweep attends annually regardless of the 'cowl' on top to stop jackdaws from roosting.  My issue is, the Certificate will be in the Filing Cabinet under 'chimney' -  how will that help when showing the Fire Brigade  ::)

Will there be muffins Penguin with lots of butter or honey?

Penguin

« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2023, 05:51:05 PM »

Our Sweep attends annually regardless of the 'cowl' on top to stop jackdaws from roosting.  My issue is, the Certificate will be in the Filing Cabinet under 'chimney' -  how will that help when showing the Fire Brigade  ::)

Will there be muffins Penguin with lots of butter or honey?

Have never done that! Kids usually do scores with marshmallows and biscuits. I do like the sound of muffins with butter though. Where best to buy them from though?

CLKD

« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2023, 06:25:53 PM »

most village shops or stores have them

Minusminnie

« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2023, 05:52:32 AM »

[/quote]
Kids usually do scores with marshmallows and biscuits.
[/quote]

I had to ask what a smores brownie was in the cake shop the other week.  Never heard of them before.
Thick toast done on open fire embers using a toasting fork tastes different but not in a bad way. Chestnuts done on the coal shovel at christmas.  I miss our open fire. We had that and a woodburner in our previous home. Don't miss the work around them though when we can now flick a switch.

Penguin

« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2023, 06:33:24 AM »

Kids usually do scores with marshmallows and biscuits.
[/quote]

I had to ask what a smores brownie was in the cake shop the other week.  Never heard of them before.
Thick toast done on open fire embers using a toasting fork tastes different but not in a bad way. Chestnuts done on the coal shovel at christmas.  I miss our open fire. We had that and a woodburner in our previous home. Don't miss the work around them though when we can now flick a switch.
[/quote]

Ooh can you do chestnuts on a wood fire too? I hadn't thought of that either!

We make smores with digestive biscuits and the massive marshmallows. They are  a bit sickly for me but I'm defo up for trying muffins and toast!

CLKD

Savings : Wood burning stoves
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2024, 04:13:37 PM »

This week DH measured the amount of heating oil in the tank, we haven't had a delivery since March.  Instead we use the wood burning stove, lit from about 3.30 p.m. with the boiler on in the background.  Once the room heats up, the thermostat is switched down.  The boiler heats the bathroom so we don't leave it on to heat the radiators until we are up each morning.

In the Summer we use the immersion heater for hot water bathing.  All year we use the kettle to wash up in the sink, make tea/coffee etc..  Rarely do I run hot water from the tank for washing up.

My biggest problem is the small cloakroom sink which is as far away from the hot water tank as is possible!  I would like to put a small heater-unit, similar to that in showers, so that I don't have to run lots of cold water away to get it warm enough to wash hands.  Hints on a postcard please  ;)

ElkWarning

« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2024, 07:58:59 AM »

CLKD as I found out the hard way, water heating units require a big electrical load, and that might mean a new fuse box. Get a plumber who knows his electrics to quote for you.

CLKD

« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2024, 08:58:53 AM »

Sorry - I don't get your gist  :-\.  this is about wood burning stoves

Taz2

« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2024, 11:59:52 AM »

It's in reply to your question at the end of your post about a water heater in your small cloakroom?

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2024, 02:43:04 PM »

Tnx Taz ..... sometimes I need my hand holding  ::)   Duhhhhh. ............. tnx both.  We have a large fuse box fitted about 10 years ago, now I need to find an electrician for advice  ::)

Taz2

CLKD

« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2024, 10:00:26 AM »

As my old Dad would have said: "Piffle!"  none of this article has Research to back up their claims.   It is important to burn kiln dried wood which has nothing to leech out.  Coal has more gasses than wood. 

How do these people reckon that it isn't cheaper than gas or coal? 

>puts another log on the fire <.   A lot of this is because the government of the day wants the whole country to go electric, much of which is important from mainland Europe!

SarahT

« Reply #72 on: January 26, 2024, 11:18:01 AM »

No doubt this was written from someone who lives in an area where mainline has is an option. Or can afford an air pump\heat pump which apparently cannot hear most homes adequately so they need a back up heat. Like a woodburner.....
If you are rural and off grid there are not many affordable options. Follow the guidelines 're wood being fit to burn. We are oil CH, wanting to change to electric ( using a company that buys wind farm sources power) . We have underfloor heating which is a slow gentle heat release. We have a vaulted ceiling so require the wood burner to heat the room enough.
Grrr.

Dierdre

« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2024, 11:30:02 AM »

There's a few log burners in my area and mostly using them legally. The problem is the ones that are throwing anything on and think nobody will notice after dark. Some don't even wait until dark on cold days.They have been reported to environmental health but the reply is to monitor it and do a chart. No action taken. Just have to make sure all windows are closed and we've got the washing in.

CLKD

« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2024, 11:33:28 AM »

I wouldn't go all electric either heating or vehicles.  What happens when there is too much wind so that those turbines have to be switched off for safety?  So the UK then buys in power from Europe, most. of it from nuclear generators.  Now that we don't get paper bills most of that info goes past home owners!

Dierdre - that's similar to most complaints that I put in to the Environment Agency: they will give *me* a monitor.  My reply is always 'you can't afford my hourly rate'!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6