Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Post hysterectomy  (Read 2019 times)

Birdwatcher

Post hysterectomy
« on: October 12, 2023, 04:02:51 AM »

I’m 2 weeks post op full hysterectomy. Laparoscopic but needed an extra cut to get womb out. Doing well but have found a hard lump that is causing pain. Anyone had similar experience. I looked it up and Seroma was mentioned? Should I see my gp or wait to see consultant? Thanks
« Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 05:12:27 AM by Birdwatcher »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Post hysterectomy
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2023, 08:50:19 AM »

I agree.  Or see a physiotherapist that is interested in womens' health if you can't get to see your GP.  Let us know how you get on.

:foryou:

Wrensong

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2023, 01:44:48 PM »

Hi Birdwatcher  :welcomemm:  If you have no helpline number from the hospital (I did after my hysterectomy) then I would either ring your GP or the gynae's sec & ask for advice.  Not suggesting this is anything major, but this soon post-op I think you need to get it checked out asap for peace of mind.

If there has been constipation as a result of the surgery/anaesthetic - & it can go on an awfully long time  ::) that could perhaps also be a cause.

If scars are minimal it can be easy to underestimate the extent of what's been done, so be sure to take good care of yourself & follow all the post-op guidelines re resting & avoiding lifting etc, as this will help with healing.
Wx

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2023, 02:19:40 PM »

I agree with Wrensong's advice. Let us know how you get on.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Donna-paul

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2023, 08:32:20 AM »

I agree you need to get checked out. When I had my hysterectomy in March I was given a number to ring if I’m having problems. I did have to ring and they saw me on a gynaecologist ward straightaway. Good luck

Gnatty

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2023, 09:27:58 AM »

Yes do get it checked. I just wanted to add one tip tho. My scar felt quite hard a few months down the line and just a bit of gentle massage every night made all the difference. When I rub along it now with my fingers it feels completely soft.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2023, 11:58:05 AM »

A cream rubbed into the scar very gently several times a day can also help.  It softens from the outside.  However, do get advice as recommended, then let us know?

Birdwatcher

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2023, 07:14:25 AM »

Thank you all so much for the replies. It helps as sometimes you feel alone with it. I am having to take daily injections for DVT prevention, something the hospital could consider giving clear demonstration and instruction on. My nurse at local surgery was a great help. I saw my gp re the lump which I still have, she thought it was either a hematoma which could take a while to heal or an abscess infection but there was no leakage from any incision but gave me a weeks worth of antibiotics to see. I was doing so well until the lump. It is true though small scars can make you forget you have had major surgery. Thanks again your response s alone were comforting xx

Wrensong

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2023, 05:45:03 PM »

You're very welcome Birdwatcher, that's what we're all here for.  Pleased to know you've been checked out & I hope the antibiotics do the trick.  I think minor complications can be quite common after hysterectomy, so it's always sensible to get medical advice on anything we're not sure about.  Bit surprised you were not given a gynae helpline no to ring for a few weeks post-op as I was.

Please don't hesitate to post again for any queries, or just so you feel less alone with it & do let us know how you get on.  :)
Wx

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2023, 05:58:29 PM »

:foryou: