Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Which jobs will this open up for students?  (Read 4081 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Which jobs will this open up for students?
« on: October 06, 2023, 08:43:48 AM »

It's witchcraft and wizardry in 21st Century media.

Do not expect to find Muggle Studies on the curriculum at Exeter. 

A choice of modules includes dragons in Western literature and art, the legend of King Arthur, palaeography, Islamic thought, archaeological theory and practice, and the depiction of women in the Middle Ages. Course leader Prof Emily Selove said:

"This MA will allow people to re-examine the assumption that the West is the place of rationalism and science, while the rest of the world is a place of magic and superstition." The one-year programme starts in September 2024".

Who will be funding this, students or the College? 

SarahT

Re: Which jobs will this open up for students?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2023, 11:33:11 AM »

My thesis in access to university was How Can It Be Argued Wicca is A recognised Religion?

Witchcraft and magic is a vast and interesting subject. The majority of which is based on kindness and nature. It's history is fascinating. There can be some  dark sides, but I can see that in some of the more recognised religions practised today...

The Pagan approach to life remains valid and worthwhile. It's not all Harry Potter or Satanism. Whilst not a practising Pagan, I believe much can be learned from some of these ideals. 

Looking at some of the descriptions of to be studied, it shows the basics of many more conventional religions, that of good vs evil.

A valid course in my book

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2023, 11:55:25 AM »

Perhaps it's aimed at overseas students looking for the back door into the UK? I think they're stopping letting family members from coming too for a first degree but not a second one. Or perhaps I'm just cynical, it might be an interesting course but unlikely to enhance a career.

Autumnwalks

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2023, 11:58:54 AM »

Sounds right up my street! :) I've always been fascinated by King Arthur, the legends, myths and where it meets history. I was reading about this by the time I was 10. Different religions and ways of seeing the world are fascinating. I'm open to anything that helps us develop as people - spiritually, mentally and physically and broadens the mind. As you say Sarah, much is based on just being kind, decent people, looking to nature and tuning into it, learning more about ourselves and so on. We never finish learning do we. I've done quite a bit of meditation, the three principles etc. And basically I love dragons! ;D ;D

SarahT

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2023, 12:20:10 PM »

Hey Autumnwalks,  guess some of our reading materials probably have overlapped over the years! I too started probably on King Arthur, then the Greek Gods, and of course the Fairy Tales and Fables that we  remember often have a moral side to them. Dipped into other religions, but for me any religion too structured doesn't work..spiritualism and Paganism comes closest.

I think some of these things can be read and  enjoyed as a good fun read, but also,along with all forms of religion and also took takes in their many forms,  can be looked at deeply too, as you say the three principles can be clearly seen, if folk are willing to keep their minds open. And the historic side! Oh, I too would love this course!

And as for a career lead? Maybe something holistic seems obvious, or a caring profession, counselling or similar maybe? Where understanding and tolerance are a must. Or working with Nature, in all its forms, or teaching, research and archives...

Autumnwalks

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2023, 12:39:28 PM »

A kindred spirit! :) Yes indeed, in these times of stress and worry, holistic therapies are becoming increasingly important and to learn to cope with life we have to start with ourselves. I'm continually discovering things about myself and hope I always will. It's not all New Age-y any more but can be used for good old fashioned life skills.

Penguin

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2023, 01:00:19 PM »

Omg I would have loved to study something like that ❤️
I think with a degree course, unless you have a specific career in mind and need a particular course to pursue that career, eg law, medicine etc, employers are looking for persistence, perseverance, writing / critical thinking,  assimilation of information and a range of other skills etc to a certain standard and you can get those in all well taught degree courses. I used to work on the graduate recruitment scheme for a major management consultancy firm and that is what we always looked for anyway 🤷‍♂️
Plus people switch careers way more throughout their lives than they used to, so the degree you graduated with is likely to be less relevant as you meander through life anyway.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2023, 01:49:36 PM »

.. the Degree that you graduated with ........ costing how many £K leaving students in debt to get where?  My nephew took media studies 15 years ago, he's hardly worked since.  How employment has been intermittent, full on then nowt.

'Isis, Istate, Diana, Hegatey, Dimita, Kari, Innana' ............ worth a listen to.  "The Burning Times" sung by Artisan, cant' remember who wrote it right now. [Author: Charlie Murphy]

« Last Edit: October 06, 2023, 06:31:39 PM by CLKD »

SarahT

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2023, 01:50:28 PM »

Penguin I got so caught up in the subject matter I didn't use my head over my heart... Very good points you make.

a degree does give  varied life life and educational skills. Probably a lot of students,regardless of age, swap from their original thoughts of where a degree may lead them. Of course certain professions  demand in depth essential subjects.  But when you think of some of the school lessons we all had to learn.... My metal work class  has yet to be applied in life. Thankfully.  ;D  but it gave unnecessary learning g skills. Thanks for grounding me a bit!

Limpy

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2023, 02:01:37 PM »

.. the Degree that you graduated with ........ costing how many £K leaving students in debt to get where?  My nephew took media studies 15 years ago, he's hardly worked since.  How employment has been intermittent, full on then nowt.

'Isis, Istate, Diana, Hegatey, Dimita, Kari, Innana' ............ worth a listen to.  "The Burning Times" sung by Artisan, cant' remember who wrote it right now.

Which degree did you graduate with CLKD. Did it help in your career?

Penguin

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2023, 02:06:24 PM »

Penguin I got so caught up in the subject matter I didn't use my head over my heart... Very good points you make.

a degree does give  varied life life and educational skills. Probably a lot of students,regardless of age, swap from their original thoughts of where a degree may lead them. Of course certain professions  demand in depth essential subjects.  But when you think of some of the school lessons we all had to learn.... My metal work class  has yet to be applied in life. Thankfully.  ;D  but it gave unnecessary learning g skills. Thanks for grounding me a bit!

Oh SarahT I wasn't grounding you, I was agreeing with and supporting you! My point is, unless you need a specific subject for your career, then follow your interests / passions and study what interests you which is exactly what you did! I was one of the last cohorts of free university study, plus I got a maintenance grant, and I also worked all the way through because I loved travelling. You don't often in life get that opportunity to really throw yourself into something wholeheartedly and uni is a whole life experience in itself. Hubby and I are doing everything we can to get to a position where our two don't need to be in debt to go to uni, hopefully it'll be possible.
Both subjects I studied -  history at undergrad, and international relations at masters, bore no relation to what I ended up doing as a job, but I don't regret it. And my work since children is very different to my career before children. Things change 🤷‍♂️ I do wish I'd studied law but I was under predicted in my A Levels and so didn't apply, and then got the grades and regretted it. Wish I had now. I am encouraging my children to follow their passions regardless, you only have one life x

SarahT

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2023, 03:23:03 PM »

Hi 🐧

No don't worry I know what you meant! It's another case of me going all butterfly like,.you know, flitting from here to there in my mind!  I definitely believe sometimes it's not so much the end result of an endeavour but the things you learn,both positive and negative that are maybe as important.
Someone we knew slightly kept learning. He got a new degree a bit later than some...he was 98! Of course there was no need to apply this subject to a career (!) But, no one gives you a degree. It is earned by determination.
Is there any way when life is at a good time,family and financially that you may be able to go into some form of working in the law profession?

I am with Autumnwalks in that the field of myths and magic can be a bit hippified ( each to their own of course) but trying to balance the mind, body and spirit invaluable to all of us,especially in an ever changing physical world.

Penguin

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2023, 04:00:27 PM »

Hi 🐧

No don't worry I know what you meant! It's another case of me going all butterfly like,.you know, flitting from here to there in my mind!  I definitely believe sometimes it's not so much the end result of an endeavour but the things you learn,both positive and negative that are maybe as important.
Someone we knew slightly kept learning. He got a new degree a bit later than some...he was 98! Of course there was no need to apply this subject to a career (!) But, no one gives you a degree. It is earned by determination.
Is there any way when life is at a good time,family and financially that you may be able to go into some form of working in the law profession?

I am with Autumnwalks in that the field of myths and magic can be a bit hippified ( each to their own of course) but trying to balance the mind, body and spirit invaluable to all of us,especially in an ever changing physical world.

Possibly. Now the kids are a bit older, I am looking at training as an advocate. Plus I might volunteer at citizens advice bureau. I did look at law conversion courses, but the time commitment is so much and I am right now putting the time in to helping my children pass the exams required to get into the senior schools of their choice. Maybe once they are at senior school it'll be easier as they'll also be going on the school bus so I can leave home earlier etc.

I was the first in my family to go to uni. My mum did her gcse English and Maths at the age of 65, was so proud of her. She'd left school at 14, as was done in those days, as she hadn't passed the 11+ and gone to grammar school like her sister. But she proved its never too late - at the time she was the oldest person in the adult education college where she did the gcses!

I love the hippified!!!

Penguin

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2023, 04:03:49 PM »

Hi 🐧

Amazing about the 98 year old, that's just fantastic, learning just for the sake of learning. I wonder what his subject was, do you know?

SarahT

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2023, 04:10:17 PM »

Yes, not sure hippified is an actual word but it seems to fit!
Oh well done Penguins mum. I was in my 30s in access of 16 year olds doing English Lit A level. Felt so old! Mind you a bit of life experience makes a difference to the class and debates.I cannot remember what subject the 98 chap did but he was full of enthusiasm to just learn all the time.

Go for it Penguin,  citizens advice is a valuable source for so many people. The right opportunity will come your way when the times are right, even if you need to nudge life a bit. You sound a very close family xx
Pages: [1] 2