Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Smear test...  (Read 3642 times)

misskh

Smear test...
« on: October 03, 2023, 04:19:53 PM »

After unexplained bleeding last year it was discussed with the consultant that the best thing was to have a total laparoscopic hysterectomy and Bilateral salpingo oophorectomy.
I have a letter stating that this was discussed and as I was in agreement the operation would go ahead.
Operation was done in January.

I have had my smear test reminder letter come through so phoned the surgery to explain that I'd had the above operation and did I still need to proceed with a smear test, put on hold while receptionist had a chat with the nurse and they've said that as there's nothing in my notes to say I've had my cervix removed it's best to go in and get the smear test done.

Although a bit groggy after my husband confirmed that the surgeon came to see me and said all had gone well and as discussed all removed.

I'm a bit thrown, while not wanting to miss a smear if needed I don't want to take away an appointment from someone else.

Will the nurse be able to tell if I've had my cervix removed?
Has anyone else been in the same situation please?

Wrensong

Re: Smear test...
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2023, 05:09:59 PM »

Hi misskh, total hysterectomy implies removal of cervix as well as uterus.  When the cervix is left it's termed subtotal.  If there is any doubt I would ring the surgeon's secretary & ask her to confirm exactly what was removed, explaining the situation with the smear invitation.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2023, 05:16:20 PM »

I agree with Wrensong .......... the appt can be postponed until you are certain whether you require the smear test.  Let us know.

misskh

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2023, 05:55:43 PM »

Thank you...

I didn’t know whether it would be a bit cheeky to give the secretary a call so long after my operation but I did and she's in PT but I'll call again as I really would like to know for certain what's happened to my body.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2023, 06:05:01 PM »

That's what medical secretaries do, take queries to the medical team.  If U have your Hospital Numbers it will make it easier to find your medical notes.

Wrensong

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2023, 06:17:24 PM »

Not at all cheeky misskh.  I agree with CLKD, patient liaison is part of a medical secretary's job.  And you need to know for sure.  If it's unnecessary, you don't want to have to get psyched up for a smear test, take time out for it, get undressed & have a speculum exam in order to find out whether your cervix is still intact.  As you say, if you don't need a smear test, it also wastes an appointment someone else could use & the time of the surgery staff.  The surgeon should have written to your GP detailing exactly what procedures were involved, so I'm a bit surprised they couldn't pull up the relevant documentation.  I hope you manage to speak to his secretary soon.  Do ask her to send through clarification to your surgery as well, in case they don't feel they can take your word for it.
Wx

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2023, 06:20:54 PM »

Seems like no joined up thinking - again.  :-\   Do let us know how you get on.

misskh

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2023, 06:28:31 PM »

Yes I suppose they do, I always think they're really busy and don't like to bother them or any health care professional, no idea why, I've always been like that.

I do have a letter from the consultation where we discussed what would be done and my husband was with me post op when she came round to say all had gone well and he's adamant she said all had been removed.

The smear is due next week so I'll try the secretary again tomorrow/Friday.

If I can't get hold of her I'll go to the appointment and take the letter along.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2023, 07:43:57 PM »

Or ring the GP Surgery to see if there is a discharge letter with info. on your file?  If you don't need, as mentioned, the appt. it can be offered to someone else.

misskh

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2023, 08:08:55 PM »

The receptionist checked with the nurse when I called today as it was the second time I've called to ask, was supposed to get a call back last week but must have got lost in the system so receptionist asked the nurse with me on hold today and she said that there's nothing in my records to state that my cervix had been removed.

I'll call the secretary and find out for sure.
If it's correct I'll ask if they can send a copy of the notes over.

Just find it odd there's no info as every letter I get is a copy of what's been sent to my Dr and it was decided during consultation, maybe they didn't receive their copy.

misskh

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2023, 04:13:59 PM »

I called the surgeons secretary this morning and she checked and said my notes definitely suggest I've had removal of cervix and couldn't understand why the nurse would think otherwise, but again not being the professional she'd ask the surgeon who she happened to be seeing today and let us know for definite.

Not sure if "us" is myself or the nurse or when so as of yet I'll still keep the appointment until either it's cancelled from the nurse, I've heard from the surgeons/office myself or I've been and had a face to face chat with the nurse.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2023, 04:35:23 PM »

'us' is probably yourself to pass onto the GP Surgery. 

Wrensong

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2023, 06:52:23 PM »

Well that's progress misskh.  Well done for persevering.  I hope you hear direct from the hospital & soon.
Wx

misskh

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2023, 10:57:44 AM »

Day of smear test today...

Hadn't heard from surgeon's secretary or Dr's so went along.

The nurse checked my notes and said everything had indeed been removed, so no need for a smear test.

Still felt I'd wasted an appointment but she said I'd done my best to find out beforehand.

Wrensong

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2023, 11:36:38 AM »

That's good misskh - no more smear tests needed & you now know for sure exactly what was taken away.  And I don't think you could have done more in the circs.
Wx
Pages: [1] 2