Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The most famous Sycamore .......  (Read 3356 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
The most famous Sycamore .......
« on: September 28, 2023, 06:40:17 PM »

.... has been FELLED!  >:( By a 16 year old.  I'd hang him from the nearest tree   :bang: :beat:   Seen in Prince of Thieves as well as being photographed probably thousand of times and very, very old.  What is it with people, he took a chain saw to it by the look of the photo  :'(

Songbird

Re: The most famous Sycamore .......
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2023, 07:11:44 PM »

Illegal tree felling in England is now punishable by unlimited fine and custodial sentence apparently.
As a 16 year old, bang him up in a young offenders institution. I'm utterly sick of individuals thinking that criminal damage in whatever form it takes is OK  :bang:

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2023, 07:19:19 PM »

What I really want to know is......WHYYYYYYYY?
I love the picture of it in silhouette with all the stars in the sky  :'(

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2023, 07:32:47 PM »

Because he wants his 5 mins for fame?  He'll probably get a wrap on the knuckles and 200 hours of volentary service.

B***rd  :-X

Minusminnie

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2023, 05:24:24 AM »

Copied

Which tree stumps are likely to regrow? Of the native hardwood trees sycamore, Acer pseudoplatanus and ash, Fraxinus excelsior have the ability to grow vigorously from the stump when felled.

Maybe more to this than meets the eye done by someone who understood what they were doing. But still why do it ?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 05:39:57 AM by Minusminnie »

jaypo

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2023, 07:40:06 AM »

Seems a very "odd" crime but I do wonder nowadays,if it's been one of those ridiculous tiktok dares or similar,is this tree near a car park does anyone know? Or is it in the middle of nowhere? He must've carried a chainsaw?

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2023, 09:12:09 AM »

Minismum - at aged 16 I doubt it.   :-\  He wants hanging by the balls from the tallest building in London and left there.

It's in the middle of no where from what I remember, having visited it.  Over 200 years old, HOW DARE HE and at 16, he isn't legally allowed to use a chain saw  :beat: :bang:

jaypo

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2023, 10:43:50 AM »

Yet another young adult with a "I don't give a s**t" attitude,what an awful world this will be.Some scientist guy on the news earlier saying,our society will have fallen apart by 2050,my guess is,it will be sooner than that

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2023, 11:56:28 AM »

A man in his 60s has been arrested by police investigating the cutting-down of the world-famous Sycamore Gap tree in Northumberland.

>:(. 2 to string up by the balls then ........

getting_old

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2023, 06:05:17 PM »

Absolutely disgusting  :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:. I just can't understand what possesses someone to do something like this. It was obviously planned, as you don't just take a chainsaw for a walk!!! and how were they not seen???
They are talking about using the wood to make benches, but personally I suggest stocks and they stick the perpetrators in there for the rest of their lives.

SarahT

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2023, 06:10:07 PM »

Am with you on that.

The whole world is getting crazier and more unstable. Some may wonder why people are so upset about ' just a tree ' but like many objects or living things, they can be a symbol of strength, comfort, familiarity and consistency. some thing to ground us in what can be a pretty crap world at times.

Songbird

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2023, 07:47:02 PM »

Couldn’t agree more Sarah 😕. Just think, it was planted in the perfect location, in the early 18th century and had developed into a beautiful mature tree, approx 300 years old and, in the space of an hour or so, one or two morons have destroyed it! Bloody typical  :angryfire:

jaypo

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2023, 08:12:35 AM »

Yep,agree with Sarah too,I adore trees,don't know why if I'm honest but when you see a big old tree,it makes you think of all that's gone before and IT was there,I mean had this tree only been 10 years old,would there be as much fuss?  :(

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2023, 09:01:40 AM »

As a slight meander ancient forests have been felled to allow HS2 through as well as 1,000s taken down for new building estates  :-\ and those planted 'to replace' the latter, are rarely cared for so die  :-\  :'(

Minusminnie

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2023, 10:19:04 AM »

I adore trees,don't know why if I'm honest but when you see a big old tree,it makes you think of all that's gone before and IT was there,I mean had this tree only been 10 years old,would there be as much fuss?  :(

I feel the same. If only trees could talk ! The patterns on trunks of very old trees are really something too.

One hotel for you Jaypo set in an arboretum of old trees is Tortworth Court in Gloucestershire. Bit of a stop off hotel off the M5 for a journey.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 10:35:39 AM by Minusminnie »
Pages: [1] 2