Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 30 Plants A Week  (Read 4703 times)

MabelBabel

Re: 30 Plants A Week
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2023, 12:33:37 PM »

It's so easy!
I can't say I have noticed any life changing effects yet, but its only been a couple of weeks.
I've discovered spirulina and chlorella which are a great protein boost. That's one thing I'm finding a bit tricky, to make sure I eat enough protein, so now I'm recording my protein first then fitting everything else around that.
I haven't even got round to including any seeds yet but I intend to buy lots next time I nip to Aldi (best value there by far).

I've always loved my veg, I'm a keen gardener and grow my own fruit, veg etc. So much has been wasted this year with me feeling so rubbish I ended up ignoring it. It annoys me, how much menopause is affecting every aspect of my life. GRRRR  >:(

But now I have this little personal challenge I'm hoping for improvements...watch this space!  ;D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2023, 01:37:21 PM »

There's never any waste with a home composting system  ;)

Wrensong

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2023, 02:00:44 PM »

Your enthusiasm is coming across MabelBabel & it's lovely  :)

We grow a bit of fruit & veg at home too, but have a tiny garden with poor growing conditions - stony, drought-prone soil & N facing aspect, which limits what's possible  :-\  I'd love to grow more & a bigger garden is on the wish list for our next home.

I counted up how many fresh fruit & veg we brought home from the weekly shop & it was 29, then there's stored foodstuffs like frozen peas, tinned beans, dried pulses, dried fruit, nuts, herbs from the garden & the grains - pearl barley, whole & wild rice . . . 

Altogether it made a pleasingly long list  ;D  Can you see my halo?  :ange:  ;D

I had a listen to a couple of Prof Spector's podcasts & was surprised to hear what seems to be the latest opinion on cheese!  OH was delighted, having always maintained cheese is a health food  ::)

Do let us know how you get on.
Wx

CLKD

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2023, 02:04:22 PM »

Most food stuffs are healthy in moderation ;-).  We eat a Magnum lolly for pudding some evenings: it's dairy, don't U know  ;)

Wrensong

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2023, 02:30:39 PM »

;D

Dierdre

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2023, 03:46:07 PM »

I try to eat my 5 a day, so that's 35 pieces of fruit or veg. Is that not the same thing?

jaypo

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2023, 03:51:25 PM »

I eat 30 peas does that count?  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2023, 04:16:07 PM »

I can no long eat peas or olives, they stick and make me bloated  >:(

You're doing OK from where I'm sitting Deirdre ;-)

MabelBabel

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2023, 04:55:31 PM »

I try to eat my 5 a day, so that's 35 pieces of fruit or veg. Is that not the same thing?

Hi Dierdre, It needs to be 30 different plants.  Eating over 30 showed no additional benefits in his study.

I eat 30 peas does that count?  ;D

Absolutely it does, as 1  ;D
Only 29 more to go!!  ;D

Most food stuffs are healthy in moderation ;-).  We eat a Magnum lolly for pudding some evenings: it's dairy, don't U know  ;)

Magnums Mmmmmm yummy! ;D

Your enthusiasm is coming across MabelBabel & it's lovely  :)

We grow a bit of fruit & veg at home too, but have a tiny garden with poor growing conditions - stony, drought-prone soil & N facing aspect, which limits what's possible  :-\  I'd love to grow more & a bigger garden is on the wish list for our next home.

I counted up how many fresh fruit & veg we brought home from the weekly shop & it was 29, then there's stored foodstuffs like frozen peas, tinned beans, dried pulses, dried fruit, nuts, herbs from the garden & the grains - pearl barley, whole & wild rice . . . 

Altogether it made a pleasingly long list  ;D  Can you see my halo?  :ange:  ;D

I had a listen to a couple of Prof Spector's podcasts & was surprised to hear what seems to be the latest opinion on cheese!  OH was delighted, having always maintained cheese is a health food  ::)

Do let us know how you get on.
Wx

Thank you! I am enjoying it, gives me something to think about and I like a challenge! and you're so right that it adds up so quickly!

Your halo is positively glowing!
I agree about the cheese, plus its filling and a good source of protein  ;D

Container growing sounds like it would be ideal for you. I had a little north facing garden on heavy clay so I feel your pain!

Wrensong

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2023, 07:08:32 PM »

I do container strawbs every year, several varieties & lots of them as the runners are so easy to propagate from, but end up giving them away as they are terrible for bladder irritation (interstitial cystitis), there's only 2 of us & OH hates strawbs!  Ironically, seems to be the only crop I can reliably grow  ;D  Last couple of years had another go at tomatoes, courgettes, runner beans & all those did surprisingly well in tubs  :).  The mixed lettuce, rocket, French beans, carrots & spring onions (again all in containers), well . . . least said about those, the better  ;D!  Oh nearly forgot peppers: grew a fab crop of large bell peppers outdoors (no greenhouse) on first attempt last year, but woodlice (who knew  :o) got into & ate every one while they were still green.  Bar one, that got badly blistered by the sun on a very, very hot day & decayed!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2023, 07:16:18 PM by Wrensong »

Dierdre

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2023, 08:42:17 PM »

30 different plants seems a lot of shopping, can they be frozen or I'd have a lot of waste?

WishIdknownsooner

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2023, 09:22:59 PM »

I’ve been trying to do this, more or less successfully, for the last few years. It’s hard as I also fast.  But my blood test results are now perfect, even if my bathroom scales say different  ;D

I’m also doing the full Zoe microbiome testing from next month, so that will be interesting! Fingers crossed my fermentation experiments have done some good!

MabelBabel

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2023, 08:37:59 AM »

30 different plants seems a lot of shopping, can they be frozen or I'd have a lot of waste?

Yes they can be fresh, frozen, tinned or dried.
Don't forget it's 30 plants, plants being the key word. So, pulses, legumes, nuts, seeds, fruits especially berries and veg including potatoes. Plus herbs, spices, even tea and coffee.
Obviously a pinch of spices or a teeny amount of herbs won't count but if you have for example a 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric several times a week you'd count that as one, same with herbs, if it amounts to about a tablespoon you'd count that as one.
There are no precise recommended portion sizes for everything else, a rough guide is a handful.

Hope that helps  :)

MabelBabel

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2023, 08:42:21 AM »

I do container strawbs every year, several varieties & lots of them as the runners are so easy to propagate from, but end up giving them away as they are terrible for bladder irritation (interstitial cystitis), there's only 2 of us & OH hates strawbs!  Ironically, seems to be the only crop I can reliably grow  ;D  Last couple of years had another go at tomatoes, courgettes, runner beans & all those did surprisingly well in tubs  :).  The mixed lettuce, rocket, French beans, carrots & spring onions (again all in containers), well . . . least said about those, the better  ;D!  Oh nearly forgot peppers: grew a fab crop of large bell peppers outdoors (no greenhouse) on first attempt last year, but woodlice (who knew  :o) got into & ate every one while they were still green.  Bar one, that got badly blistered by the sun on a very, very hot day & decayed!

It sounds like you've got a lovely container garden! :)
Gardening can be such a battle as everything else wants to eat it before us, but I still do it every year regardless! I've just picked the last of the toms, aubergines, cucumbers and peppers now the weather is set to turn autumnal. Then it will be time to plan for next year!
Always something to look forward to!

MabelBabel

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2023, 08:46:20 AM »

I’ve been trying to do this, more or less successfully, for the last few years. It’s hard as I also fast.  But my blood test results are now perfect, even if my bathroom scales say different  ;D

I’m also doing the full Zoe microbiome testing from next month, so that will be interesting! Fingers crossed my fermentation experiments have done some good!

Well done on your bloods!
I fast too, I always have as I've never liked to eat in the evening.
I looked into the Zoe membership but I've read so many comments from people who say they are so oversubscribed and that they as members aren't gettnig the support they signed up for. I'm holding off for now but am planning on joining at some point in the future.
I'd love to her how your biome testing goes! It's so interesting.  :)
Pages: 1 [2]