Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 30 Plants A Week  (Read 4707 times)

MabelBabel

30 Plants A Week
« on: September 27, 2023, 06:34:09 PM »

I've just started the 30 plants a week way of helping your gut biome, as per Professor Tim Spector. I've ordered his book and began counting my plant intake on Monday.
I wondered if anyone else was doing this or had done it and how you found it?
I'm trying to grab my health by the horns in the hope that it might help with the meno symptoms I'm still battling and this seems like as good a way as any.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: 30 Plants A Week
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2023, 06:56:33 PM »

Interesting topic :-))))).  Oh I wouldn't know where 2 begin  ::)

What counts as plant foods: I begin every day with muesli,[oats], dried blueberries and pumpkin seeds and a splash of milk.   Lunch today was: 3 red radishes; a stick of celery; 3 lettuces leaves  :-X; brown bread with seeds; pate; does tea count, as it's drink made with leaves.  Evening meal was chicken curry with spices on a naan bread.  Followed by a lolly.

Occasionally I eat: tomatoes, cucumber; fish and chips once a week, I always count spuds in any shape/form  ;).  Bananas; melon, mango, grapes - all occasionally.  Mixed nuts; occasionally.

Since I stopped foods/drinks with hidden sugars I've felt a lot less bloated and that irritating reflux cough has eased.   8)

What is suggested, R there recipes in the book?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2023, 07:11:30 PM by CLKD »

Penguin

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2023, 07:06:38 PM »

Oh I wouldn't know where 2 begin  ::)

What counts as plant foods: I begin every day with muesli,[oats], dried blueberries and pumpkin seeds and a splash of milk.   Lunch today was: 3 red radishes; a stick of celery; 3 lettuces leaves  :-X; brown bread with seeds; pate; does tea count, as it's drink made with leaves.  Evening meal was chicken curry with spices on a naan bread.  Followed by a lolly.

Occasionally I eat: tomatoes, cucumber; fish and chips once a week, I always count spuds in any shape/form  ;).  Bananas; melon, mango, grapes - all occasionally.  Mixed nuts; occasionally.

Since I stopped foods/drinks with hidden sugars I've felt a lot less bloated and that irritating reflux cough has eased.   8)

Do you think sugars triggered your refux then?

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2023, 07:10:50 PM »

I was drinking coke for a few years: 2/3 small bottles a day, plus BlackT and 2 sugars.  When I stopped the coke I went onto ginger soft drinks, when I eat ginger in syrup - both trigger the irritating cough. The sugar in the cuppas doesn't seem to affect me.  Finding out what continues to affect me = the cough, is a work in progress.

Penguin

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2023, 06:48:28 AM »

I was drinking coke for a few years: 2/3 small bottles a day, plus BlackT and 2 sugars.  When I stopped the coke I went onto ginger soft drinks, when I eat ginger in syrup - both trigger the irritating cough. The sugar in the cuppas doesn't seem to affect me.  Finding out what continues to affect me = the cough, is a work in progress.

Eurgh my short term recent bout of silent reflux then I think was defo caused by coke three days in a row and two really hot tomato based curries. I either eat really well or really badly. I love the plant based foods idea though!!!

Gnatty

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2023, 07:13:37 AM »

I try and do this. I start my day with natural yoghurt with ground flax seeds, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds and the maybe blackcurrants on top or whatever else I have fruitwise. I could add in even more seeds too. And it helps that herbs and spices nuts beans lentils count too. But equally I am trying to up my protein because I think the daily recommended amount isn't sufficient as we get older - so important to retain muscle mass.

Wrensong

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2023, 08:20:40 AM »

I eat a wide range of fruit & veg & would be surprised if less than 30 types a week, but will count up as I'm curious to know.  I start every day with a fresh fruit salad - content differs depending on what's ripe & high protein natural yoghurt, with homemade whole rye toast & usually a boiled egg.  Sometimes porridge.  Also eat a variety of nuts.  Main meal at lunchtime always has 3 or 4 veggies, either with baked fish or lean chicken or it's a wholly veggie meal.  Recently been advised to include red meat to get low iron stores up.  Early evening meal is usually either a salad or veg based soup with some form of protein.  I agree Gnatty, about protein.  I found I had to increase the amount of protein in my diet when I started to have probs with low blood sugar years ago at start of peri & as you say, we also need to work harder at maintaining muscle mass as we age.  I'm also careful to try to get enough calcium for osteopenia.
Wx
« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 09:43:01 AM by Wrensong »

jaypo

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2023, 08:48:45 AM »

Being veggie for over 30 years,you'd think I'd eat enough fruit & veg........wrong!! But over the summer,for lunch,I've been having salads & I love them,make my own salad dressing too,with some rather expensive (OHs words  ;D ) olive oil & they keep me full 'til dinner time,so many recipes online,so it's not just boring toms,cucumber & lettuce  :)

SarahT

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2023, 09:58:36 AM »

Also.veggie 30 years plus, we can have a crap diet too! Am definitely adding in more protein with extra pulses. Starting to add to soup for a more  rounded meal,less carbs, in potato and bread form, though pasta at least once a week,always homemade sauces. Less cheese but that's a challenge on our house...  Pumpkin season soon!  Yeah,I know it's carb .but.... :)

MabelBabel

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2023, 11:05:32 AM »

Interesting topic :-))))).  Oh I wouldn't know where 2 begin  ::)

I haven't got the book yet, so my knowledge is limited but my understanding from the snippets I've seen him talking about on Instagram are that you eat 30 varieties of plants per week. By plants he means fruits, especially berries, nuts, seeds, veg including potatoes, with skin ideally, herbs and spices, wholegrains, pulses, legumes, olive oil and even tea and coffee though I personally don't count them.
You need to eat 30 different plants per week, but different colours of the same veg  each count.

I'm not sure what he counts as a portion yet so I'm just been going by what I know from other sources. Veg would be 80g, nuts a handful. The rest I'm having what I think is about right.

I've written a list of all the plant based foods that I generally have in the house, it really does add up! I'm finding it very easy to hit 30.

I also do time restricted eating, before it was a thing as I never liked eating early or late and I'm convinced its the reason I haven't developed type 2 as at times my diet has been quite shocking.

My daily intake looks like this; After 10am a tumbler with turmeric, honey, apple cider vinegar and hot water. Oats with walnuts, almonds and some seeds. A mid afternoon smoothie of various fruit and veg, it will usually include a cooked beetroot, I might also have a protein nibble of some sort too. Then Dinner of pulses, or grains with veg and some protein. I don't eat after 18.00hrs.

I'm curious to see how this works for weight loss as I've always counted calories so this is a bit of a challenge but I think it makes a lot of sense.

MabelBabel

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2023, 11:14:11 AM »

I need to nip to Aldi to stock up on seeds as I haven't got any in the house!

I'm recording my foods on myfitnesspal for the first week or so just to get an idea of the calories, I'm so curious to see how my body will respond with this different approach to overall health, feeding my gut biome and hopefully losing weight!

I forgot to add that as well as kefir yogurts, I'm also going to try and include some other fermented foods such as kimichi, kombucha and sauerkraut and might start baking my own sourdough.

jaypo

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2023, 11:15:50 AM »

Also.veggie 30 years plus, we can have a crap diet too! Am definitely adding in more protein with extra pulses. Starting to add to soup for a more  rounded meal,less carbs, in potato and bread form, though pasta at least once a week,always homemade sauces. Less cheese but that's a challenge on our house...  Pumpkin season soon!  Yeah,I know it's carb .but.... :)
Haha Sarah,everyone thinks veggies eat lots and lots of veg but in some cases (ours apparently) this isn't the case,I'm also wheat intolerant (double whammy for eating out) so I'm restricted when it comes to breads and pastas,the gf just don't hit the mark,some of my salads have brown rice or quinoa,which,is actually ok if you cook it with a stock cube and not so 🤢 as some think lol
« Last Edit: October 03, 2023, 10:29:32 AM by jaypo »

Gnatty

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2023, 01:13:32 PM »

I need to nip to Aldi to stock up on seeds as I haven't got any in the house!

I'm recording my foods on myfitnesspal for the first week or so just to get an idea of the calories, I'm so curious to see how my body will respond with this different approach to overall health, feeding my gut biome and hopefully losing weight!

I forgot to add that as well as kefir yogurts, I'm also going to try and include some other fermented foods such as kimichi, kombucha and sauerkraut and might start baking my own sourdough.

I make my own sauerkraut - very satisfying to make and to eat!

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2023, 06:36:46 PM »

I love red beet: roasted/cold the next day or pickled.  A beetroot sandwich with brown bread  :-*

Sweet potatoes/yams
Occasionally lettuce
Occasionally tomatoes
Sometimes cucumber which is far too watery!
Strawberries, raspberries, white currants, peas/runner; broads; French beans picked from the garden in season
Bananas, melons, grapes, mango [in season,  messy  :D]
We have two pepper plants growing under the cage but they haven't fruited yet  8)

Olives: I had to stop eating them as I felt that there were 'going through' whole  :o as the belatedness returned  >:(

Don't 4get tinned and frozen fruits/veg..  I don't like fish that tastes of fish  ;D .  We have lots of chicken curry, roast beef and roasted chickens.  DH smokes the trout that he catches and I enjoy it hot with fresh home made bread.  Fish fingers/mash when in a hurry.

Keep up with the dairy!  Essential throughout our growing periods. 

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2023, 08:11:52 AM »

How's it going? 
Pages: [1] 2