Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Silent Migraines  (Read 3076 times)

Lynda07

Silent Migraines
« on: September 21, 2023, 12:34:27 PM »

Hi everyone

I guess I'm looking for reassurance as me, my health anxiety and my silent migraines (as I call them - where you start off so you out of the blue can't see properly, then the flashing lights, sometimes a headache, others not) have got into quite a state.

Do any of you who suffer from silent migraines find you can go weeks/ months without them, then you get them regularly? I've not suffered much in ages but had one 2 weeks ago, then another on Tuesday and for some reason that one really scared me. I spent all day yesterday worrying I'd have another and not only did I - last night - but the flashing lights etc came/went three times over a couple of hours.

I've got a phone appointment with my GP a week tomorrow. I don't know why I've got into such a state about them - I'm 59, 7 years post meno and have had these on and off for 40+ years but having two in two days has put me in a real panic.

I've no idea what's triggered them but will most likely keep a bit of a diary now. I'm sitting here dreading getting another one but the worse part is, my health anxiety has just taken off big time today, I feel utterly terrified of life yet again.

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest. 

Aprilflower

Re: Silent Migraines
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2023, 12:58:31 PM »

I can sympathise as I had a scary time with this.  When they first started I had several trips to the opticians and a hospital eye clinic, before I was diagnosed. 

The hospital gave me a list of triggers.  I only got as far as the first one, caffeine, and that was the culprit.

Don't dispare I think they are common during peri and now post meno, I can tolerate a little caffeine.

Lynda07

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2023, 01:08:45 PM »

Aprilflower, thanks so much for replying. I have got myself into such a state because I don't understand why I've had a few in two consecutive days. I'm due to get my eyes tested so will mention it then as well.
Thanks again.

Lynda07

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2023, 02:42:37 PM »

Thanks Jaypo. So your GP wasn't concerned? I don't know why I am in such a state after having them for years but having them on consecutive days was too much for my anxiety.

Aprilflower

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2023, 02:47:12 PM »

My first experience was continuous symptoms for several weeks, hence the confusion and many medical appointments.  I literally thought I might be going blind.

Just a week with no caffeine, but developed a splitting headache, and the visual symptoms began to go. 

Lynda07

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2023, 02:48:16 PM »

Thanks again Jaypo. I hardly touch caffeine but realise there are other triggers. They always take me by surprise and scare me!

Aprilflower

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2023, 02:50:22 PM »

Try googling the list of triggers.  It's quite long, if I remember correctly.

Lynda07

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2023, 03:02:37 PM »

Aprilflower, you are right, it is.

I know with my anxiety there will always be something to bother me but blimey, today is a bad day! And from what I understand they aren't even dangerous, just very unpleasant but I'm struggling so much with the "what ifs".

Lynda07

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2023, 07:37:45 PM »

Oh yes Jaypo they are, mine has won hands down today. I hate health anxiety so much.

Elliebee

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2023, 09:55:23 PM »

Hi Lynda07 as the others have said I’m sure they are nothing to worry about. But as someone with health anxieties I know how our brains can take over and we end up going down the what if rabbit hole! My HA can just appear from no where and then ease or disappear. I hope you feel better in the morning and have a better day.

Lynda07

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2023, 08:32:01 AM »

Morning Elliebee

Thank you for that - I know you understand the dreaded health anxiety. It totally took over my day yesterday, in fact, ironically it made me feel quite ill. I do appreciate your kind words x

Elliebee

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2023, 06:21:54 PM »

Hi Lynda07 I hope today has been a better day for you . x

Lynda07

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2023, 01:08:38 PM »

Sorry Elliebee I seem to be a day behind. So far no migraines, sadly the health anxiety hasn't abated yet but I've been here before where I get into such a state it takes a while to get back to normal.
Thank you again for checking in - I hope you are having a lovely weekend x

Elliebee

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2023, 01:57:19 PM »

Sorry to hear that the HA is lingering. Great there has been no more migraines.
My HA is never far away and feeling it today. Lovely day so trying to keep busy in garden.

Lynda07

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2023, 02:18:44 PM »

I'm sorry to hear this for you too Elliebee.
Great minds must think alike as I'm just off to do some work in the garden myself x
Pages: [1] 2