Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Electric cars  (Read 1706 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Electric cars
« on: September 17, 2023, 08:10:55 PM »

The World thinks that by having electric cars will help climate change.  Nope.  Rare Earth Materials are that - Rare.  Sourced from China who can't care if they destroy the environment.

Apparently electric cars from China are already cheaper than Tesla - and will be imported into UK dealerships soon.  The government of the day, to 'encourage' dealers to sell more electric cars, will 'fine' [read stealth tax] dealerships that don't sell enough electric cars per month  >:(

sheila99

Re: Electric cars
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2023, 09:09:09 PM »

If they sorted out the charging problem they'd have more chance of persuading people to buy them. Atm you need your own driveway and not to travel too far.

getting_old

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2023, 09:32:32 PM »

It would take a lot to convince me to ever buy an electric car, especially as I don't believe they're actually better for the planet. As you say the minerals required for the batteries are rare, then add in the time required to charge, the risk of running out of charge somewhere dangerous, etc. and it's a very hard sell.

Penguin

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2023, 05:20:18 AM »

Plus the batteries have a shelf life and when they expire you need a new battery (10 years i thought?), not cheap, I thought around 10k. My polo is 8 years old and still going strong, not everyone could afford to replace their car that often.

We have also worked out that to do our twice yearly drive to South West France (not in the polo!!), we would need to stop and do a full charge twice on the way, adding hours onto an already very long journey.

If anything we'd get a hybrid, but 100% electric cars are defo not for us.

jaypo

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2023, 07:11:47 AM »

It's a joke,the government told everyone to buy diesel cars not that long ago and look what happened there.
Next we're going to have a pile of dead batteries with nowhere for them to go.My OH travels hundreds of miles for his business,he'd never get home if he'd to keep charging a car throughout the day.Also the range they say they have is very inaccurate,the slightest thing affects it,freezing weather,hot weather,wind,nope,I'll stick to my petrol ta very much

Songbird

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2023, 08:11:06 AM »

Completely agree. Infrastructure not there, ridiculously expensive, dubious claims. Nope, we’ll be running our petrol car until it’s done (just like my old dad used to do).
God, I’m sick being almost forced into doing things I’m not happy to do! And they needn’t bother with the “don’t you feel guilty?” Malarkey - I’m utterly sick of people in different areas of life insisting their way is the right way!
Geez, Songbird, where did that come from? I was in quite a good mood this morning  :rofl:

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2023, 08:25:26 AM »

Me probably starting the thread  ;D

Have 'they' taken into account the number of hold ups on our road systems which will increase the battery power usage, as well as pot holes?  Apparently these cars made in China can 'go' for 400 miles on a charge  :-\ ???

jaypo

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2023, 10:23:19 AM »

Aww geeze,better steer clear of songbird today,she'll punch one of us if we upset her too much  ;D ;D

Considering the U.K. is responsible for only 1% (or less) of emissions,why is it we feel we need to do the most,I laugh at the adverts telling us to switch of lights,only fill the kettle with what you need,unplug this,turn off that,then come Christmas time,everybody goes wooohooooo let's forget the lot of it and light up our houses like bloody Belisha beacons,omg what a country

See what you've done songbird?? ........stomps off and slams door

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2023, 11:01:39 AM »

Stop slamming doors I' ve got a headache  ;D

The governments of the World want to get 1 over their competitiers so make promieses without researching any truths. Look at HS2, now it's not going in Euston after all that work that been done  >:(

Songbird

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2023, 11:05:58 AM »

I aim to please  ;D  ;D
I'm off to fill a thermos and my hotty (not forgetting to switch off the landing light)  :o

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2023, 11:38:36 AM »

:rofl:

jaypo

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2023, 02:05:13 PM »

So sorry clkd  ;D
Well I'm away to throw more coal on the fire,burn some tyres then take my 5L V8 out for a needless spin  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 02:53:23 PM by jaypo »

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2023, 02:34:05 PM »

Picking up ice cream on your way here then  ;D

jaypo

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2023, 02:53:06 PM »

Yep,get that bbq fired up  ;D