Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: CT scan  (Read 6991 times)

Dierdre

CT scan
« on: September 14, 2023, 02:13:49 PM »

I was diagnosed with a kidney stone after an ultra sound scan for something else about 4 months ago and doctor referred me to an Urologist. Had my appointment this week and she couldn't find the original scan and has booked me for a CT scan to check if it's still there and if so the size of it now.
I have been reading how much radiation you get from this scan, it's equivalent to at least 100 chest xrays or the same as 3 years background radiation.
I really don't want this now and want to ask if I can just have another ultrasound scan which should do the same job.
I still have no symptoms or pain from the stone and she said if it was the same size it would be just monitor and wait and see. There is a risk of cancer with the CT scan 1 in 2000 but not an ultrasound.
Any one had CT scan just for a kidney stone?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2023, 02:16:04 PM by Dierdre »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: CT scan
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2023, 05:34:52 PM »

HI!  bad that the original scan results were lost!  No wonder there are long waiting lists! 

Where did U read about the amount of radiation?  It never crossed my mind about any dangers when I had radiation after breast surgery.  I wouldn't be reading anything these days either. 

If it were that dangerous it wouldn't be allowed, why not ask the radiation dept. as to the possible risks?

Limpy

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2023, 06:30:44 PM »

Dierdre the amount of radiation from a one off scan is unlikely to cause health problems.
For me the real benefits of a CT scan far outweigh any very slight hypothetical risk.

Dierdre

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2023, 07:11:43 PM »

I read it on various websites when I was looking at what to expect having a CT scan. They all mention the risk of radiation even the NHS website but say benefits should outweigh risks but shouldn't be used just for routine screening. 

Dierdre

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2023, 07:16:55 PM »

Dierdre the amount of radiation from a one off scan is unlikely to cause health problems.
For me the real benefits of a CT scan far outweigh any very slight hypothetical risk.

It will only be the one if I decide to go ahead, any other monitoring will have to be ultrasound. I used to dislike having mammograms and xrays because of the radiation but that was minute compared to the CT scan.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2023, 08:02:30 PM »

I had lots of mammograms over the years and haven't had any problems.  After the lump was discovered I had an immediate mammogram, 2 more proir/after surgery as the lump wasn't seen on films.  Every 6 months for 3 years.

Never quiried why or if they were appropriate it was how the lumpectomy was treated.  I was iller [??] with the Tamoxifen ...........

If this 1 investigation shows 'nil of note' that will be it. 

getting_old

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2023, 11:17:46 AM »

I've had several CT scans, not for kidney stones. If it was found using ultrasound is there a reason they're not doing that again?

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2023, 11:26:30 AM »

Morning Deirdre - what bothers you the most?

Penguin

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2023, 11:47:03 AM »

It will only be the one if I decide to go ahead, any other monitoring will have to be ultrasound. I used to dislike having mammograms and xrays because of the radiation but that was minute compared to the CT scan.

If they can tell size from ultrasound with the only issue being that they lost the scan results, then could you just ask for another ultrasound instead? I'm not sure why doctor decided on a CT scan if ultrasound was sufficient previously?

Limpy

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2023, 01:51:19 PM »

I'm not certain but I think the CT results can be kept, there is a permanent record. I don't think ultrasound results are kept in the long term,

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2023, 02:43:11 PM »

I thought that all records/scans had to be kept for 5 years then microfiched?

Tinkerbell

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2023, 03:07:18 PM »

My daughter had to have a cardiac CT with contrast four years ago, she was 15 at time. Her consultant said the radiation from CT scans are now lower and equivalent to one plane journey. He said a lot of info online is based on older CT scanners.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2023, 03:17:34 PM »

:thankyou:  If 1 were rushed into A&E and scans were required  :-\  ???

Dierdre

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2023, 08:49:09 PM »

I've had several CT scans, not for kidney stones. If it was found using ultrasound is there a reason they're not doing that again?

The Urologist wanted the CT scan because they didn't have access to the previous ultrasound one as it wasn't done in the hospital. She also said kidney stones look bigger on ultrasound and not as clear and she needed to make sure it was still there and in fact a stone.

Dierdre

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2023, 08:56:05 PM »

My daughter had to have a cardiac CT with contrast four years ago, she was 15 at time. Her consultant said the radiation from CT scans are now lower and equivalent to one plane journey. He said a lot of info online is based on older CT scanners.

That sounds better than being equivalent to 100 chest xrays! I've decided I will have the scan, even though I've no symptoms at the moment I still want to know if it's still there and if it's got any bigger.
Hope your daughter was ok.
Pages: [1] 2