Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Painkillers  (Read 2283 times)

Ayesha

Painkillers
« on: September 11, 2023, 11:22:18 AM »

I’ve been lucky in the past not to have needed painkillers and very rarely took them but now at this stage in my life I find I need to take them on a regular basis.
Two paracetamols have been ok each morning to ease the muscle pain but this Summer my aches and pains have notched up quite a bit, which always results in nausea which then causes reflux. 

I can’t take Ibuprofen because of stomach issues, I can use the gel which helps. I have started to take one co-codamol and one paracetamol in the hope that will work better than taking two paracetamols.
I know that GP’s can prescribe much stronger strengths if needed but right now I am using over the counter painkillers.

As I am new to painkillers I would love to know what painkillers do you rely on to ease your aches and pains and at what strength?

Penguin

Re: Painkillers
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2023, 11:40:04 AM »

I use Paramol for the really bad period pains I get. They are a mixture of paracetomol and dihydrocodeine, and I think they are the strongest you can buy otc. I cant take ibuprofenat all, they really upset my tummy. However, it does say not to take for more than three days as can cause addiction, so if you would want to use more regularly than that, then it'd be worth speaking to your GP.

Have you tried things like magnesium, and Epsom salt baths to help your aches and pains?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2023, 11:44:28 AM »

U have my sympathy  :foryou: having suffered excruciating painful periods for many years with accompanying nausea, dizziness and general malaise as well as being very thirsty 24 hours B4 the period began.

Perhaps have a word with a Pharmacist?  I can't tolerate co-anything, the 2nd tablet makes me really ill.

Shame that you can't take 'nurofen' which I find satisfactory and which can be alternated with paracetamol.  However the latter can be deadly if too much is taken.  'feminax' helped my period pains.

Ayesha

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2023, 04:05:19 PM »

Have you tried things like magnesium, and Epsom salt baths to help your aches and pains?

Fortunately even with VA I am able to have Epsom salt baths with essential oils, Clary Sage is supposed to help with inflammation and with the VA treatment it allows me to have about two baths a week.

I honestly don't think it has helped me not having taken painkillers or other meds previously, but it seems I am completely intolerant of a lot of them prescribed to me lately.
I will see how it goes then will seek help if these symptoms don't clear up.

VioletAquarius

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2023, 10:37:36 PM »

I take paracetamol plus,  or a similar name depending on brand.  It is paracetamol and caffeine. Normal paracetamol don't help my headaches but these do.

I would speak to a pharmacist and see what they can offer you.

Aprilflower

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2023, 12:05:18 PM »

I’ve been lucky in the past not to have needed painkillers and very rarely took them but now at this stage in my life I find I need to take them on a regular basis.
Two paracetamols have been ok each morning to ease the muscle pain but this Summer my aches and pains have notched up quite a bit, which always results in nausea which then causes reflux. 

I can’t take Ibuprofen because of stomach issues, I can use the gel which helps. I have started to take one co-codamol and one paracetamol in the hope that will work better than taking two paracetamols.
I know that GP’s can prescribe much stronger strengths if needed but right now I am using over the counter painkillers.

As I am new to painkillers I would love to know what painkillers do you rely on to ease your aches and pains and at what strength?

I don't like taking painkillers, so rarely do.
Also like you I have had an increase in aches and pains, particularly in my left hip and lower back.  After doing some searching I found 'Magnesiun and Glucosamine Gel', from Healthspan (website only company).  It's really has made a huge difference to me so have no hesitation in recommending it.

It also contains wintergreen, eucalyptus, capsicum and peppermint.  I applied it twice a day and within a week began to notice the improvement.

Ayesha

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2023, 07:00:14 PM »

Thanks Aprilflower, I always go for natural if I can and order from Healthspan on a regular basis and I will definitely look into the product you mention  :)

getting_old

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2023, 09:48:31 PM »

I hate taking pills of any sort, but will take paracetamol if I absolutely have to. From stuff I've read you there are some pills that you need to take over a period of time before they become effective because they have to build up in your system.
If the pain is in the joints or the muscles I'd suggest seeing a physiotherapist / oesteopath / chiropractor,

Ayesha

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2023, 11:22:16 AM »

This is an ongoing problem I've had for a few years now. I have the exercise programmes given to me by physiotherapists but its not been easy doing them when the muscles are inflamed.
I took two co-codamol yesterday and felt so much better, although they made me feel tired but the improvement cheered me up a bit.

I am convinced its high humidity causing this flare, the figures are through the roof right now and I know its causing lots of other problems too with a rise in thrush issues.

Aprilflower

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2023, 04:54:38 PM »

Sounds like my shoulder which flares up in the winter.  Good at the moment, thankfully.

I've had physio but there is only so much they can do, and it's so expensive now.