Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Just found out I have diabetes  (Read 1651 times)

MagH

Just found out I have diabetes
« on: September 05, 2023, 07:01:43 PM »

Hi, has anyone else been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes during peri? I’d been feeling exhausted and generally yuk so made a GP appointment expecting it to be anaemia or something (I have ongoing issues with low vit B12 and vit D and take supplements for those) but was a bit surprised to get the results that everything else was ok apart from my sugar levels and now I have an appointment to see the diabetic nurse to discuss what to do about that.

Admittedly I carry quite a few more lbs than I should but I didn’t expect that especially as I’d not had the classic symptoms of being thirsty or needing to pee a lot, has anyone else experienced anything similar?

Thanks,
Mags x

Aprilflower

Re: Just found out I have diabetes
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2023, 08:42:38 PM »

Did they actually say you have diabetes, or just that your sugar levels are too high??

It could be you are what is known as pre diabetic and just need advice on adjusting your diet etc.  I believe low carb diets have good results in preventing and reversing high blood sugar levels.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2023, 08:49:10 PM »

Yep.  The Surgery insisted that we take statins: apparently this raises the blood sugar levels, I was furious earlier this year to be told that I am pre-diabetic  >:(.  After 3 blood tests levels evened out. I am due for another blood test at the end of this month.  Apart from regular exercise everything I do is fine!

So don't panic.  Don't get lulled into medication as type 2 can be reversed by altering eating habits, the Nurse will guide you.

WishIdknownsooner

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2023, 08:54:59 PM »

Hi Mag, sorry to hear you’ve had that bombshell dropped.  It’s tough hearing that and I hope you’re ok.  I never got a diagnosis of type 2, but my hba1c was right at the top end and I got strong words from my GP. I have a terrible family history for diabetes and I am also overweight. The GP gave me metformin and a prescription for the Second Nature eating programme.

There’s so many treatment options these days and it is fully reversible, to the point where you don’t need drugs, if caught early.  The new weight loss drug - wegovey - as well as metformin can be good starting points. It depends how far along you are.  I started a low dose of metformin and completely changed my diet.  I don’t eat anything ultraprocessed now and fast for 18 hours 2 or 3 times a week.  Hba1c is now slap bang in the middle of normal range and has been for 3 years. I haven’t managed to lose any weight though  :(

There’s so much info on insulin resistance and type 2 online.  I can thoroughly recommend the Second Nature programme as that’s how I got started cleaning up my eating and really understanding the truth about carbs and diabetes.  I’m just starting testosterone as part of my hrt, and I hope any muscle that is saved/formed, will help further control my insulin resistance.

Good luck with the nurse.  Let us know how you get on x

Sage 🍃

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2023, 10:41:32 PM »

Maybe it's just pre-diabetes as Aprilflower says, and even if it says type 2 diabetes it can also be one of the conditions related to the metabolic syndrome that is more prevalent during menopause, but can be transient. Fingers crossed  :-*

Booroo

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2023, 05:49:54 AM »

Hi Mag, sorry to hear you’ve had that bombshell dropped.  It’s tough hearing that and I hope you’re ok.  I never got a diagnosis of type 2, but my hba1c was right at the top end and I got strong words from my GP. I have a terrible family history for diabetes and I am also overweight. The GP gave me metformin and a prescription for the Second Nature eating programme.

There’s so many treatment options these days and it is fully reversible, to the point where you don’t need drugs, if caught early.  The new weight loss drug - wegovey - as well as metformin can be good starting points. It depends how far along you are.  I started a low dose of metformin and completely changed my diet.  I don’t eat anything ultraprocessed now and fast for 18 hours 2 or 3 times a week.  Hba1c is now slap bang in the middle of normal range and has been for 3 years. I haven’t managed to lose any weight though  :(

There’s so much info on insulin resistance and type 2 online.  I can thoroughly recommend the Second Nature programme as that’s how I got started cleaning up my eating and really understanding the truth about carbs and diabetes.  I’m just starting testosterone as part of my hrt, and I hope any muscle that is saved/formed, will help further control my insulin resistance.

Good luck with the nurse.  Let us know how you get on x

I too am pre diabetic got diagnosed November and did second nature lost stone and half to start with now most of it gone back on but doing more exercise walking dogs than then so bit miffed,my last level was just over compared to nearly busting the pre bit, genetics and my own problems I’m not surprised just meh about it

MagH

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2023, 03:35:14 PM »

Thanks everyone, sadly it is full on diabetes from my HbA1c test and was a bit of a shock as I’ve not had the usual symptoms.

I’ve spent the past couple of days reading as much as I can and my GP sent me some useful links so I’m hoping from what I’ve seen that the nurse might start with dietary changes and monitoring rather than straight onto meds as although my readings weren’t great they also don’t seem to be dangerously high at 50mmol/mol

I have to be honest and say my diet recently has been a bit shocking, I generally skip breakfast but then think nothing of snacking on crisps or biscuits and cheese in the evening so that will be a good habit to change for many reasons!

I’ve not heard of Second Nature but will definitely look into that as at the mo I’m at a bit of a loss what food changes will be best to make but have already cut out the crisps and chocs as a first step as I know they won’t be helping!

One thing made me laugh though, hubby brings me flowers & chocs occasionally but this week he brought me flowers and a blood glucose meter lol 😂

Aprilflower

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2023, 04:01:22 PM »

Ah, shows he cares.

Best of luck and I'm sure things will improve.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2023, 04:52:28 PM »

;D.  he loves you really!

If you can alter your diets together it won't be such a bind.  This should be able to be turned around: a friend who lives in Oz finds her levels are unstable in the heat, during their Winter she's fine.

WishIdknownsooner

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2023, 05:22:21 PM »

I have to be honest and say my diet recently has been a bit shocking, I generally skip breakfast but then think nothing of snacking on crisps or biscuits and cheese in the evening so that will be a good habit to change for many reasons!

I’ve not heard of Second Nature but will definitely look into that as at the mo I’m at a bit of a loss what food changes will be best to make but have already cut out the crisps and chocs as a first step as I know they won’t be helping!

One thing made me laugh though, hubby brings me flowers & chocs occasionally but this week he brought me flowers and a blood glucose meter lol 😂

Good for you.  It’s the small habits that make the biggest difference. Swapping crisps for mixed nuts in the evening is a great start (sprinkle a tiny bit of salt on plain nuts is my tip) as nuts hardly raise sugars at all.  Getting a veg box was the best thing we did as it forces me to try new veg recipes, and it is so expensive that I don’t want to waste a single leaf lol

The best thing about this early diagnosis, before symptoms kicked in, is you can fully reverse it without all the damage being done to your eyes, kidneys, blood vessels etc through years of being undiagnosed.

Your hubby sounds fab!

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2023, 07:40:00 PM »

I got fed up with relatives giving me chocolates for celebrations, however much I said 'choose something else' the request was ignored. Until I mentioned that I may be diabetic ....... I'm not but it gave them something to ponder on.  I also said that any boxes of chocs would go to the Food Bank which they don't agree with  ::).

Don't deny yourself or you will crave.  Good idea about the nuts ...... especially Brazils and almonds.  Slow release foods too, I'm sure that the dietician will have lots of ideas which you can share with us.