Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Armpits!  (Read 2960 times)

Rabbit1977

Armpits!
« on: September 05, 2023, 06:14:14 PM »

I'm 46 and wondering whether people find their armpits swell at times during the month? Not like a visible ping-pong ball type lump but just an overall looking larger than usual (and the feeling that they might be swollen)? For me it is just the right armpit.

Sadly I am a bit of a severe hypochondriac since a health scare back in 2016 and I am going through it a bit at the moment with various pains and aches and my mind is always racing to what cancer I might have or whether I might be seriously ill - it's got the point that if I have a blood test, I can't face phoning for the test results  :'(

I also have an intermittent pain in my upper left abdomen that is sharp, comes and goes, and I can't seem to find a pattern for. I'm wondering if I may have suddenly developed digestive issues (gas seems to be more prevalent) but again, I'm finding it hard to sleep as I'm convinced it is something sinister. I don't know what to do. I just feel like staying in bed and crying.

Flossieteacake

Re: Armpits!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2023, 08:32:34 PM »

I am not sure if mine swell because I never pay attention to them but if yours swell at certain times of the month it sounds like it could be hormonal. I have read it could be the breast tissue swelling as the breast becomes tender due to the time of the month.

The pain in your left abdomen sounds horrible. Maybe keeping a food diary will tell you if a certain food is triggering it? I know in meno we can suddenly develop things like IBS and acid reflux. I have both of those and they became worse due to peri.

Sorry to hear you are so anxious, Rabbit. Health anxiety is such a horrid thing to battle with. There are many threads on here about it with other members sharing their experiences so you are not alone.

Sage 🍃

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2023, 10:49:01 PM »

Yes, I had it during peri and postmenopause, it happens infrequently now, thank goodness. I also have the intermittent pain in the upper abdomen, only mine is right side. I wonder if it's all related to breast tissue as Flossieteacake says because humans can have breast tissue outside the breast area, have you ever heard of supernumeray nipples, extra nipples along the mammary line in the abdomen? It could be that oestrogen affects these areas as well.

From Wikipedia

Clinical presentation
It may remain undetected. Occasionally, the supernumerary nipple is noticed when hormonal changes during adolescence, menstruation, or pregnancy cause increased pigmentation, fluctuating swelling, tenderness, or even lactation.

Of course they never mention bloody menopause   :o ;D

Rabbit1977

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2023, 08:39:55 AM »

I am not sure if mine swell because I never pay attention to them but if yours swell at certain times of the month it sounds like it could be hormonal. I have read it could be the breast tissue swelling as the breast becomes tender due to the time of the month.

The pain in your left abdomen sounds horrible. Maybe keeping a food diary will tell you if a certain food is triggering it? I know in meno we can suddenly develop things like IBS and acid reflux. I have both of those and they became worse due to peri.

Sorry to hear you are so anxious, Rabbit. Health anxiety is such a horrid thing to battle with. There are many threads on here about it with other members sharing their experiences so you are not alone.

Thank you for responding Flossieteacake - sorry I haven't. I had to go back to work and between that and anxiety I haven't been on the computer so much. I will try the food diary. I have already cut back on saturated fats and salt for the cholesterol but have heard of people who find things like gluten intolerable as they age. Hopefully something may materialize.

Rabbit1977

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2023, 08:44:37 AM »

Yes, I had it during peri and postmenopause, it happens infrequently now, thank goodness. I also have the intermittent pain in the upper abdomen, only mine is right side. I wonder if it's all related to breast tissue as Flossieteacake says because humans can have breast tissue outside the breast area, have you ever heard of supernumeray nipples, extra nipples along the mammary line in the abdomen? It could be that oestrogen affects these areas as well.

From Wikipedia

Clinical presentation
It may remain undetected. Occasionally, the supernumerary nipple is noticed when hormonal changes during adolescence, menstruation, or pregnancy cause increased pigmentation, fluctuating swelling, tenderness, or even lactation.

Of course they never mention bloody menopause   :o ;D

Thanks for responding, Sage. It fluctuates doesn't it...sometimes lots of things are attributed to peri and menopause and other times they it couldn't possibly be even though we know darn well it is! I'm praying like mad for winter, and a very cold one at that as the constant raised body temperature and hot weather are doing my head in. I even sleep, and don't laugh, on the pet's cold blankets to try and get a good night's sleep.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2023, 10:16:32 AM »

No need to apologise. :)

Sorry to hear your anxiety has been bad. I am with you on wishing for cold weather. I think it is a great idea to use your pets cooling mats. :)

Sage 🍃

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2023, 04:30:01 PM »

Hope you are doing well, sweetie  :-*
« Last Edit: September 15, 2023, 05:57:07 PM by Sage 🍃 »

Rabbit1977

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2023, 05:14:59 PM »

It has been a tough week - period started unexpectedly on Tues and now I have the feeling of swelling and headache again today. I think it must be hormone-related...

Flossieteacake

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2023, 06:40:20 PM »

It has been a tough week - period started unexpectedly on Tues and now I have the feeling of swelling and headache again today. I think it must be hormone-related...

Sorry to hear you have had a tough week. I hope it passes soon. Hormones have a lot to answer for!