Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Abdominal scan, need full bladder, but can't hold it  (Read 1428 times)

VioletAquarius

Abdominal scan, need full bladder, but can't hold it
« on: August 01, 2023, 08:26:34 AM »

Hi
I'm not sure if anyone can help, or been through the same and can offer some tips, but I'm going for an abdominal scan on Wednesday morning which needs a full bladder (1.5hrs before appt, drink 1.5pint, finishing at least 1 hr before appointment).
Now, I have urge incontinence and cannot hold my bladder, and when I get and a strong urge due to a full bladder I have to go NOW and I cannot just walk to the toilet, I have to hold myself down below - I cannot do this in front of a full waiting room and other people in corridors.
I just don't know what to do, I've tested what I can do, and I can only hold on for about 30 mins if I drink about 1 pint in 10 mins before feeling the urge and I need to go not long after, but obviously during the scan they do press down so this will irritate my bladder and I'm scared I may wee, and if I don't, whether I'll make it to the toilet in time, and plus I'll be holding myself down below to get there.
Thank you

sheila99

Re: Abdominal scan, need full bladder, but can't hold it
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2023, 10:42:47 AM »

Can't offer any advice I'm afraid but perhaps if you phone the clinic they might be able to help? I'm sure they'll have had other patients with this problem.

Limpy

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2023, 11:18:28 AM »

What I've found helpful is to park near the scan unit and drink the last litre while in the car park. Like Sheila says, ringing the clinic for advice is a good idea they often can help to clarify amounts and timescales.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2023, 02:30:22 PM by Limpy »

Nas

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2023, 01:33:19 PM »

Can they do a trans vaginal scan instead, where you don't need a full bladder?

VioletAquarius

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2023, 02:01:59 PM »

Thank you so very much ladies!

I've rung the hospital department and the kind gentleman there said not to worry, just arrive and start drinking when I get there and see how I go, and I will probably also have an internal one.  So, a weight off my mind, thanks again to you kind ladies!

Nas

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2023, 02:38:32 PM »

Good luck Violet!  :)

VioletAquarius

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2023, 11:06:58 PM »

Thanks Nas x

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2023, 09:36:45 AM »

Hi VioletAquarius. I've had a few of these and I'm sure you will be fine if you do as the department says. The external scan is done first with the full bladder then you are asked to empty your bladder - like you will need persuading by then  ;D - before the internal one is carried out. In our hospital the toilet has a connecting door to the scan room so you don't actually have to go out into the public area worrying that you might wet yourself on standing up and walking.

I'm sure you will be fine.

Taz x  :hug:

VioletAquarius

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2023, 10:10:07 PM »

Thanks Taz, sorry I didnt see this until after my appointment, but yes it had an interconnecting door to the toilet.

When I had the scan it didn't hurt until he had to press down, it wasn't excruciating pain or anything, just an uncomfortable hurt. Should I be worried about this does anyone know?

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2023, 10:13:12 PM »

Well done! I wouldn't think it's something to worry about. I remember some tenderness when being pressed. They did find a couple of fibroids but that was all.

Taz x