Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Advice please  (Read 1285 times)

Kate57

Advice please
« on: July 19, 2023, 05:08:26 PM »

Hello ladies,
I have vaginal atrophy. About twice a week after a shower I use a small ammount of olive oil just around the outside of the vagina....this seems to have been helpful .... however, just recently I developed a vaginal discharge...there was no itch, no smell, and was not there all the time, I do not feel ill. I made an appt with Nurse who gave me a vaginal swab ( this was very uncomfortable but the Nurse was very kind and gentle).
I have just been texted by the surgery to say that I have an infection and have a prescription for antibiotics - Clarithromycin 500mg tablets.

I am very nervous every about taking antibiotics as I usually have very nasty reactions to them. Has anyone ever had this kind of problem and used an alternative therapy .... I'm thinking Chinese medicine or Homeopathy?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Kind regards
Kate

Flossieteacake

Re: Advice please
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2023, 05:26:13 PM »

Hello Kate. Vaginal atrophy is caused by lack of oestrogen and you will need to use localised oestrogen in order for it to improve. I can understand this may be difficult if you prefer to use alternative medication but I really urge you to use localised oestrogen as VA is likely to worsen and can be extremely painful.

It is hard reacting to antibiotics. Sometimes there are some that may be easier to tolerate then then others. Perhaps taking the antibiotics along with a probiotic may help to lessen any side effects from them.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2023, 05:51:52 PM »

Keep away from Chinese alternatives.  These haven't been approved by NICE and may be full of nasties. 

Was the swab sent to a Lab.?  How long is the course of ABs?  I can understand your reluctance, as I never manage to complete a course due to intense nausea.  As U R already suffering .........

One should eat LIVE yoghurt after a course of ABs to clean the digestive tract and replace good bacteria.  Did U discuss your reluctance with the Nurse?  You will need to get appropriate vaginal atrophy treatment ..............

Kate57

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2023, 08:21:12 PM »

Thank you for your replies, Flossieteacake and CLKD.
I have decided to take the antibiotics. The full course is 7 days, 2 tablets a day.
I've bought some pro biotics to take as well.
I didn't get chance to speak to anyone CLKD, as the message came through a text telling me to pick up the prescription as I had an infection. When I tried calling the surgery it was their half day closing so no one was there.

Like you, I know I will have some reaction to these antibiotics but I've started the course now so will just have to see what happens.
Thank you both again for taking the time to write.
Kate xx

Flossieteacake

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2023, 08:22:29 PM »

I hope you feel okay on the antibiotics. I find it helps me if I take antibiotics with food. I hope the infection clears up soon.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2023, 08:38:01 PM »

Will a swab be taken after you have finished as many ABs as you can?  To make sure that any infection has gone?

Do use appropriate treatment every night - regardless of what you are told, many of us require nightly VA treatment to remain comfy, as well as moistoror.  [I have problems with that word  :-\ ]