Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Hysterectomy . Tips and advice  (Read 8657 times)

Rosie Roo

Hysterectomy . Tips and advice
« on: June 06, 2023, 07:24:27 PM »

Hello Ladies . I’m due to have a total hysterectomy in a couple of weeks . Can i ask the ladies who have had one if they can give me any tips and advice on anything that you recommend I take to hospital or just any advice in general etc . Very nervous and  Not looking forward to it at all. Thanks in advance xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hysterectomy . Tips and advice
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2023, 08:09:28 PM »

Is this your decision or do you feel rushed into surgery?

When I had breast surgery I took: button up nighties - not those that pull over the head as the whole body may feel sore afterwards.  Button up are far easier and quicker if Drs come round to see how your stitches are etc..
Ear plugs.  Panties.  Small soaps and talc. 

Do any cooking for the freezer B4 U go as you will probably be told not to lift anything heavier than a pair of tweezers.  Small packs of food that you might fancy on discharge that you can pop under the grill or into the microwave.  What support will U have at home after?  Time to delegate those chores ;-).

My friend had 'enough wind to fly a kite' after her surgery  ::) so make sure that you have advice B4 - I had peppermint tea but the Nurse wouldn't let me have the secret.  It certainly worked!

:foryou:

groundhog

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2023, 10:22:14 PM »

Hi,
I had a complete hysterectomy and the results were disastrous.  What happened to me was very rare and I had become complacent about surgery, I’d had so much surgeries my life without complication but this was different. 
Make sure you ask the right questions and are s fit as you can be going in,  sure it will all go fine.  Most of my friends who have had such surgery have said it’s a walk in the park compared to the problems that necessitated it,
Wishing you the very best x 

Rosie Roo

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2023, 04:44:29 AM »

Thanks for your replies . I have womb cancer that was picked up on a biopsy  2 weeks ago so things are moving fast . Just wanted some practical tips and suggestions from ladies who have been through a hysterectomy. Things that they wished they had taken in hospital or practical tips for returning home . Thank you x

Perinowpost

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2023, 06:35:03 AM »

Hi Rosie Roo

I had a hysterectomy 2 weeks ago via laparoscopy. I stopped drinking as soon as I found out I was to have the op (don’t drink much anyway) but to give my body the best chance of recovery.

I also drank only peppermint or camomile tea or water after surgery and still am. They really help in calming bladder, stomach etc.

The other advice is to walk a little bit every day and build it up slowly. Don’t overdo it obviously and follow doctors orders re not lifting or driving.

Oh and don’t sleep on your stomach.

Wishing you well, I’m sure you’ll be fine xx

Rosie Roo

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2023, 07:52:18 AM »

Thank you perinowpost …
I will get some peppermint tea in !
Thank you xx

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2023, 08:30:46 AM »

You probably feel a little bit rushed and confused?  Ring the Hospital to see if there is a dedicated cancer nurse for support.  Let us know how you get on.  Is there any1 at home to care for you?

Donna-paul

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2023, 08:40:55 AM »

Good luck I’ve had full hysterectomy 10 weeks ago because of abnormal cells and things for me happened quickly too. We did a spring clean before and stocked the freezer up with easy meals. Everyone is different with recovery even though I had key hole/ vaginal hysterectomy I’m still experiencing problems. Take a day at a time we have had no choice to have surgery and every dr reminds me it is major pelvic surgery. I got all the clear from pathology and hadn’t spread hope it’s the same for you x

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2023, 08:52:27 AM »

4 U Donna-paul  :foryou:

mandss

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2023, 09:00:42 AM »

I am 6 months post op, it is only now that I can see the benefits. Do not rush your recovery, only do what you really need to. sleep when you need too. Started pelvic floor exercises straight away and prepare for no bowel movements!!! I found a stool softeners a life saver as it saved the straining. Some ladies swear by love heart sweets to help with the trapped gas afterwards. Where are you having it done? Message me anytime. Good luck xxxxx

Rosie Roo

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2023, 09:35:41 AM »

Cant thank you ladies enough ! Obviously im worried and stressed but Thank you for the support and the advice .. this forum is amazing . Xx

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2023, 12:56:10 PM »

When I had breast surgery my Consultant expected a list of queries each morning on his rounds.  Might be worth while taking a small pen/paper to jot any worries down?

Rosie Roo

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2023, 03:10:58 PM »

Will do CLKD .. thank you x

Summer-sky

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2023, 03:12:58 PM »

Hi Rosie Roo,
Great tips from everyone.  If this helps on the practical tips, I also found one of those V foam shaped pillows really helpful for when recovering back at home, ear plugs for the hospital, loose clothing - couldn’t hack any tight waistbands, nice backup snacks for the hospital, slip on shoes as I found it tricky to bend down in the early days post-op to faff around with shoe laces and also some body wipes in case the idea of a shower after your operation at the hospital is too much if feeling a little knocked around. Steer clear, if you can, of too much Dr Google  :) I hope it all goes well for you. I had womb cancer last year and found the waiting for biopsy results, then waiting for staging scan results and then waiting for the actual op date in some ways more difficult and a rollercoaster.  You are on the road now with it all and before you know it will be done and you will be back home recovering. Take it gently and sending you a virtual hug. Sum xx

Rosie Roo

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2023, 07:16:38 AM »

Thank you Summer -sky for your really helpful post . The last few weeks have been very stressful like you said . Thank you for taking the time to reply . I have now ordered a pillow and some slip on sandals . Thank you xx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4