Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Knee Bursitis  (Read 1436 times)

TM73!

Knee Bursitis
« on: May 30, 2023, 07:51:51 PM »

Hello all. So I’ve sorted my HRT out and am feeling a lot better. Then today I wake up with a really swollen knee which feels like a pocket of liquid over the knee joint. It also aches when I touch it and feels a bit uncomfortable when I walk. I’m pretty sure it’s bursitis- I was weeding the garden yesterday without any cushioning under my knees.
Does anyone have any hints on how I can tackle this myself without going through the misery of trying to get a GP appointment please?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Knee Bursitis
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2023, 08:05:58 PM »

Is the area hot?  MayB ask at pharmacist for advice in the morning?  Is it painful enough for medication?  Maybe elevate the whole leg from hip on a pillow this evening to reduce the possibility of swelling further.

I have a bursitis in the R hip which aches in the night, fortunately not in the day.  I should be doing stretching exercises  ::)

I have seen knee swellings that require A&E treatment where the fluid is drawn off due to infection setting in. 

DottyD68

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2023, 08:21:19 PM »

Ice!

If you don't have an ice pack , wrap something frozen out of the freezer (bag of peas) in a tea towel and wrap it around your knee for 15-20 mins at a time. Dont put the ice directly onto your skin or it will burn it.

If you can take ibuprofen, do so, which should help reduce inflammation.

If you have a Tubigrip try that to get compression around the knee.

As CLKD says elevate your leg too.

RICE - Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation.
Hope it's better soon X

TM73!

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2023, 09:22:09 PM »

Aw many thanks to you both. I’d describe it as a little warm rather than hot. It’s very unsightly but that’s the least of my worries. Will ice it and buy a tubi grip tomorrow. Hopefully it doesn’t require a GP appointment as they are so difficult to get!

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2023, 08:38:49 AM »

U can by-pass the GP and go to A&E or pharmacist, let us know how you get on?

Any improvement over night?

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2023, 08:37:53 AM »

How is the knee?