Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sea buckthorn oil  (Read 7341 times)

Lily102

Sea buckthorn oil
« on: May 26, 2023, 11:31:06 AM »

I'm curious if any of you have tried sea buckthorn oil and for what reason? Also what brand have you tried?

On the back of a question about LASIK one person recommended it for dry eyes. Separately a friend who's had LASIK was advised by her surgeon to take flaxseed oil a few months before surgery.

I did some research and it seems Sea buckthorn oil may be better than flaxseed oil. I also researched omega-3 which is good for lots of stuff. There are lots of conflicting views on whether or not to take Omega-3 supplements. You probably don't need to take them if you eat the correct quantity of fish (salmon, anchovies or sardines) on a weekly basis. Eating more fish is easier for me than sticking with vitamins/supplements and figuring out which brand to buy so I'll do that for omega-3.

A few months ago I read magnesium was good for menopause so I rushed off to Boots, bought what looked like a great brand only to discover it was magnesium for constipation! Magnesium oxide rather than magnesium glycinate was the main component. You really have to do your research or see a nutritionist.
Thanks

Flossieteacake

Re: Sea buckthorn oil
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2023, 11:34:31 AM »

I have found Seabuckthorn very helpful in vaginal dryness. I am not too sure if it helps my eyes but it does for many people. I buy mine from Holland and Barretts or Healthspan.

I do not think it would do you any harm if you wanted to try it. You could always stop taking it if you feel it does not agree with you. I have not noticed any side effects at all.

Lily102

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2023, 01:08:27 PM »

Flossieteacake thanks for that info.

Cara999

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2023, 05:14:07 PM »

I take sea buckthorn from Holland and Barrett for both vagina and eyes, my eyes certainly don't stream as much, worth a try. No side effects for me xx

Lily102

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2023, 06:15:31 PM »

Carra thanks for that

Tinx

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2023, 09:05:33 AM »

I’ve tried Sea Buckthorn before and it certainly does help with dryness. I suffer from GORD so I did find the SB made me feel a bit queasy and the brand I tried were expensive (can’t remember the name now). If anyone can list the various brands they used it would be really helpful.

Lily102

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2023, 05:54:10 PM »

Thanks Tinx.. I've started taking Natures Aid. I've been on it 2 weeks now and think my eyes might feel a little less strained but not totally sure.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2023, 08:24:44 PM »

I’ve tried Sea Buckthorn before and it certainly does help with dryness. I suffer from GORD so I did find the SB made me feel a bit queasy and the brand I tried were expensive (can’t remember the name now). If anyone can list the various brands they used it would be really helpful.

I have used Holland and Barrat's own brand and Healthspan.

What a shame they made you feel queasy. I wonder if it was one of the fillers that were in them rather then the actual seabuckthorn.

Haydo

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2023, 06:56:41 AM »

I have tried a couple of brands (Nutravita and Natures Best) and found that they made me feel queasy too.  The Pharma Nord ones are the ones that I am fine with. 
« Last Edit: June 10, 2023, 07:23:31 AM by Haydo »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2023, 07:40:09 AM »

?? you swallow it ??  :-\

Have U ever seen the shrub?  It can be massive and thorny  ;D

Flossieteacake

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2023, 08:15:58 AM »

They are made into small capsules so they are easy to swallow. :)

DottyD68

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2023, 08:43:23 AM »

I use Pharma Nord for dry eyes and have done for a few years. They are expensive so I try to get a deal through H&B.

Dierdre

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2023, 08:58:54 AM »

My concern is that it's a phytoestrogen and I'd worry it would block and compete with my local estrogen. This happened with Benocol as the plant sterols are phytoestrogens and it was like I'd stopped using Vagifem for weeks. Still not 100% back on track.
Anyone just on local estrogen using seabuckthorn and noticed this problem?

Joaniepat

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2023, 09:51:27 AM »

I recall seeing it growing on the coastal sand dunes in N Ireland. The berries ferment and the birds get squiffy on them  ;D. They are delicious though.
JP x

Haydo

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2023, 10:44:56 AM »

I haven’t noticed the sea buckthorn making any difference with my use of ovestin and vagifem.  I have noticed a huge difference with my dry eyes with the added benefit of helping with the vaginal dryness.  I’ve used the sea buckthorn for a couple of years now with no problems.  Having said that, like Dierdre I have had a horrible flare up recently which seemed to start after starting to use Benecol.  Whether that was coincidence it’s hard to know, but I’ve stopped using the Benecol for now.  Whether the Benecol and sea buckthorn together were too much I don’t know, but I would be reluctant to give up the sea buckthorn because of the benefit to my dry eyes.
Pages: [1] 2