Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Thyroid problem  (Read 1312 times)

Elliebee

Thyroid problem
« on: May 22, 2023, 10:15:21 AM »

Following a slightly raised TSH level in January I have just had a repeat blood test and the TSH level is still slighty raised at 4.24 (ref level is 4.2). Previous result was 4.22. T4 level within range. GP is calling me on Tuesday to discuss result. I’ve not been tested for the autoimmune antibodies.
I do feel low , tired even after a goods night sleep, can feel shivery at times, have brittle nails, and a low resting pulse. Plus diagnosed with high BP in Jan. Could these all be linked to my thyroid ?
I guess my levels are not high enough to warrant treatment?

Ps I have posted this in the thyroid chain too.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Thyroid problem
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2023, 11:39:45 AM »

Which thread would you like comments in  :-\ ?

Smiley1012

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2023, 09:43:37 PM »

Hi, I am also hypothyroid but used to be hyperthyroid.  12 years ago I had RAI which then caused the hypothyroidism (this usually happens) anyway I only feel well when my tsh is 1 or slightly below. It recently went to 4 and I have never felt so Ill, I could barely function. My body ached from head to foot, I was so cold and could not seem to ever get enough sleep, even after 8 hours I would wake feeling exhausted. All the doctors say is if it’s within range you are fine.  Well I certainly wasn’t, throw perimenopause symptoms into the mix and it’s horrendous. I do not believe you should be treated on tsh levels alone it should also be based on your symptoms and how you feel. Unfortunately if your tsh levels are in what is considered normal range they don’t always test your t4. Have you had your ft4 or ft3 tested do you know? Obviously this is only my personal experience. I hope you get some joy with your gpand feel better soon 😊

Elliebee

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2023, 08:08:01 AM »

Yes I’ve had T4 checked and it’s within range .

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2023, 08:35:54 AM »

MayB ask Emma to meld your two threads as replies may become lost.

KaraShannon

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2023, 01:53:50 PM »

Elliebee, I've been hypothyroid for 20 years.  I cannot function unless TSH is at 1 or below.

My old GP recognised that the UK's system for assessing what is normal was different to the US, and that it's not just based on blood test but clinical assessment.  I was always given levothyroxine to keep levels at 1 or just below 1.  But it's different for everyone what they require.  A level of 4 would be very hard for me to function.  But to give you perspective, my very energetic friend is at 4.  So there are other things going on and it has to be a clinical assessment as well as a blood test.

I hope that helps, there's quite a bit of literature out there on what I've said that will probably give better detail.  :)

(I'll quickly add that the usual measurement system means that 0 or 1 is lower TSH than 4, and therefore higher levels of thyroid hormone circulating.  So in my case 1 is good and 4 would not be good, but again it does depend on the person.  Remember my friend is 4 and is not hypothyroid at all and well)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 01:55:50 PM by KaraShannon »

Elliebee

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2023, 02:22:24 PM »

Thank you . I think different labs use different reference levels for TSH?

KaraShannon

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2023, 04:04:37 PM »

It might be different now but when I was first tested it was always a measure between 0 - 5 they considered normal, but what measure that was I'm not sure.  I know it was TSH though.

HellsBells

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2023, 04:27:04 PM »

Interestingly the reference range in the USA is around 2.

Clarella

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2023, 09:58:24 AM »

My local area advise dose changes if tsh is higher than 3 now, my own Gp keeps below 1 as long as t4 isn’t too high

If you’re trying to conceive it should be below 2.5. Which we aren’t here but it’s interesting that that is the advice there. This is because good thyroid control is really important in the first trimester

Elliebee

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2023, 10:18:13 AM »

Where are you based Clarella?

Clarella

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2023, 06:18:34 AM »

NE, north of Tyne