Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Smear Test results timeframe.  (Read 2335 times)

Teresa

Smear Test results timeframe.
« on: April 21, 2023, 03:46:46 PM »

Hi,

I’m 57 and have been waiting for smear test results since 4th March, so nearly seven weeks now. I read a thread on another forum that they are taking a long time at the moment but I just wondered has anybody else been waiting this long for a smear test they had done recently?

I had the smear done by a gynaecologist at hospital and had to wait for that appointment to come through, as my Surgery nurse couldn’t find my cervix  when my smear was due in December of last year. This makes all the waiting much worse for me somehow, as I’ve had so much hassle getting this smear done.

Thankyou,
Teresa

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Smear Test results timeframe.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2023, 06:03:44 PM »

MayB ring the Dept on Monday?  Explain that the waiting is causing you anxiety.

Teresa

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2023, 07:14:03 PM »

Hi CLKD,

Thanks for replying , but they’ve told me that they can’t do anything as the test results don’t come from them ( gynaecology). All they’ve said is ‘they take a while’. I was just wondering if anyone on here had a smear recently and how long the results took.

Teresa

Penguin

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2023, 07:08:32 AM »

Hi I don't know if it is the same process but my husband's fit test result for the bowel screening programme showed up on the NHS app in the hospital/other providers test results page. Are you signed up for your information to be shared with the app in this way as it may be worth checking?
Hopefully they would have been in direct contact if there had been a problem though.  My experience (not with smear tests however) is that you get called really quickly if something shows up and they don't just rely on the letter.

Teresa

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2023, 07:36:34 AM »

Hi Penguin,
Thankyou for replying, but pathology results I know come from a different area too, not the same place as the Smear test. They never appear as pathology results unfortunately. I only know this as I had ten years of repetitive smears a few years ago now and the results are always in the post. I do have an app fir my surgery, so I know what you are referring to.

I’m hoping you’re right though - and that they’d let me know if anything wrong. I’ve recently had to undergo a hysteroscopy due to bleeding after the menopause ( on HRT) and it just all adds to it really.

Thankyou,
Teresa

Anna

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2023, 12:26:32 PM »

Hi Teresa.

I had a smear done by practice nurse a month ago and was told the result could take 11 weeks!  It only took two weeks but she said that’s what they are told to tell ladies just now. I’m in the Scottish Highlands.

Teresa

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2023, 07:36:07 PM »

Hi Anna,
Thankyou so much for coming back. I’m glad you got your results quickly and it’s interesting that they can take 11 weeks. I’m in SE Essex, so perhaps they will…
Thankyou,
Teresa

Birdwatcher

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2023, 03:19:12 PM »

My nurse who completed my smear said to contact her direct as they could chase the results for you . I had to ring and speak to the nurse . Good luck. Waiting is such a worrying time. X