Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Water infection  (Read 15500 times)

holidaylover

Re: Water infection
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2023, 07:21:01 AM »

Well my water sample shows no signs of infection with the dipstick test but shows traces of blood. I have had this before (not during an infection) and was investigated by camera into bladder and all was well and told its quite common for women of an age to have this.  So my sample is being sent off to the lab and results will be back hopefully at the end of the week, then I have to hand another sample in on Monday.  The nurse I saw said it may be that my V/A is causing this and that the smear test I had a couple of weeks ago may have made the pain in my bladder worse.  She prescribed me another lot of antibiotics, Nitrofurantoin this time.  I felt a bit better last night, but I'm sore again this morning.  I'm a bit puzzled though, because surely the Nitrofurantoin wont make any difference if there is not a bacterial infection.  She also advised me to always have sachets of cystitis relief to hand and to take at the first inkling so I picked some of these up, although I don't think this is cystitis as its not sore when I pee.  Therefore, if it is not an infection I am no further forward really as how to calm my inflamed bladder.  I suppose if it is an infection, but not one that has been picked up by dipstick , I am best to continue on with the antibiotics and see if that makes a difference.  PS.  I didn't wear my facemask and nobody said anything to me, but when I arrived, the receptionist who was sitting at her desk maskless, got up and came over to me putting her mask back on, before she spoke to me from behind a glass screen!!  Only one person in the waiting room whilst I was there, and I sat for 15 minutes before being taken.  The other person was seen to by a nurse too.  No doctors to be seen anywhere.

HelloSam666

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2023, 07:47:27 AM »

Hi Holidaylover,

just to say, I recently had a water infection and had all the usual symptoms apart from the stinging sensation when peeing. At first, i didn't think it was cystitis too because of that but i was prescribed Nitrofurantoin and it has all cleared up.

holidaylover

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2023, 08:33:55 AM »

Hi HelloSam666, I've just taken my first Nitrofurantoin so I'm praying it works. 

Dierdre

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2023, 09:32:07 AM »

If there's no infection when you get your results then I think you need to up your VA medication. Are you using it everynight? As you had a week without it, after the trauma of the smear and your urethra probably irritated, it's not surprising you're suffering. VA can mimic bladder problems which is why we get so many negative UTI results and also blood in urine, I think the nurse is spot on.
I've had a very stressful couple of weeks resulting in a flare up again so I've doubled up my vagifem for a few days as I was starting to need the loo during the night and having to rush to the loo urgently during the day as soon as I felt my bladder filling as I couldn't wait.
GSM, Genital Syndrome of the Menopause, not just dryness but includes all sorts of problems caused by lack of oestrogen including bladder, prolapse, atrophy, shrinkage and lichens sclerosus to name a few. I've had all of the above.
Could you ask for Vagifem as well as Ovestin, I need both and still sometimes struggle.

holidaylover

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2023, 09:53:49 AM »

That's a thought to ask for both Dierdre.  I haven't used my Ovestin for a couple of weeks as I ran out and had to wait for prescription.  Because of the way I have been feeling I haven't been using it again but realise now I should have been.  I am starting again with a two week/every night regime to get it into my system again.  Hopefully that might work.  If not better I will ask for Vagifem too.  Thanks. 

Flossieteacake

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2023, 10:03:02 AM »

Testing urine with a dipstick is very outdated as it needs to be sent to a lab which can take a week as they test for bacteria growth.

It is good you are going to increase the Ovestin. If I do not use it daily then I get UTI symptoms too. I suspect running out caused you to have a bad flare. I really hope it gets better soon.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2023, 12:08:42 PM »

Most dip stick tests will show blood. 

If ABs aren't required, it's not correct for a GP to continue prescribing.  Occasionally an infection can become embedded so a GP should be referring you.

Get on with the VA treatment: 1 now and another this evening for as many nights as is required to get symptoms under control. 

Joanies

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2023, 02:50:29 PM »

It is so reassuring reading these threads.  I’ve posted as a newbie this week about blood in urine ( microscopic) found in a sample and a follow up sample.  Urine culture sent to lab which showed no infection . GP never mentioned VA to me and I’m post meno aged 64! I’ve been reading about VA since joining this forum and I realise I do get a lot of symptoms such as itching, dryness, slight small pale blood spots after sex sometimes and I cannot hold my pee at all. 

Flossieteacake

« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2023, 03:19:08 PM »

It is so reassuring reading these threads.  I’ve posted as a newbie this week about blood in urine ( microscopic) found in a sample and a follow up sample.  Urine culture sent to lab which showed no infection . GP never mentioned VA to me and I’m post meno aged 64! I’ve been reading about VA since joining this forum and I realise I do get a lot of symptoms such as itching, dryness, slight small pale blood spots after sex sometimes and I cannot hold my pee at all.

Sorry to hear this Joanies. I had the same symptoms and only found out about VA from the forum.

Joanies

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2023, 04:19:50 PM »

Did you have blood in urine too???

Flossieteacake

« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2023, 04:42:20 PM »

Did you have blood in urine too???

When I did the sample I saw red bits but when tested, blood was not mentioned.

holidaylover

« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2023, 03:23:03 PM »

Well ladies, the pain aint getting any better at all!  Has anybody had bother from a fibroid or cyst with similar symptoms?  Just thinking what else it possibly could be.  Paracetamol is not making any difference along with the nitrofuratoin.  I'm so worried now that if it is an infection and it's not getting any better it's going to spread to my kidneys.  Cue health anxiety!!

HelloSam666

« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2023, 12:26:20 PM »

Hi Holidaylover, i had lower back pain with the UTI and used Solpadeine Max, that worked really well and after a day of that along with the antibiotic it disappeared. Worth a go if you still have the pain. Sam

holidaylover

« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2023, 01:26:03 PM »

Thanks Sam.  I changed to iboprufen, as opposed to paracetamol last night along with the antibiotic and felt a bit better.  Mild improvement today, still have the urge to pee but pain isn't as bad as yesterday.  I have just had the test result back from surgery, and my urine was clear!  So, I don't know what's causing my symptoms.  I shall take my ovestin daily again.  I have to continue on with the rest of my tablets and call back at the beginning of next week if no better!  (This is the advice from a doctor's receptionist!).  Not totally convinced about continuing with an antibiotic when there is no infection.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2023, 01:49:19 PM »

Was this a lab result?  If you can tolerate it continue with the AB.  It will ease the VA symptoms, although won't make a difference to the lack of oestrogen.

Also, up the VA treatment.  Paracetamol doesn't work for me, 'nurofen' is my go-too.  Anything stronger and I'm on the floor  :sick02:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11