Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Water infection  (Read 15498 times)

holidaylover

Water infection
« on: April 09, 2023, 10:27:06 AM »

Hi ladies, looking for a wee bit advice.  I started with a niggling sensation in lower stomach last weekend which kept coming and going for a few days.  Not pain, but just the dragging uncomfortable sensation.  By Wednesday night/Thursday morning I realised it was a water infection as I started with the pain in my lower back and pelvic area with the frequent urge to pee.  I went to my local pharmacy and was prescribed three days of antibiotics (Trimethoprim) which I took along side paracetamol.  However, that's my three day dose finished and I still have symptoms.  I'm really bloated and tender in the pelvic area and still have lower back ache along with urge to pee.  Is there anything anyone can recommend to take that would help, home remedies, etc. as the pharmacy and doctors are both closed for Easter.  I'm continually drinking as much fluid as I can.  Obviously, we are not supposed to get poorly at Easter!  Happy Easter Sunday everyone!

Flossieteacake

Re: Water infection
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2023, 10:31:44 AM »

Sorry to hear you are feeling poorly. Are you sure it is a UTI and not VA? VA mimics UTI's. When I have a UTI, I never find a 3 day dose of antibiotics enough and I tend to need a weeks supply. I would increase the VA treatment just to see if that helps.

Dierdre

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2023, 10:35:02 AM »

There will always be an emergency chemist open in your area if you google it should tell you where and opening times.
If it gets too bad try a Urgent Walk in Centre.

holidaylover

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2023, 10:44:41 AM »

I've found a chemist that is open tomorrow so will pop down in the morning.  Flossie, I am just assuming its a water infection.  I've had one before, a long time ago, so just assumed it was the same again.  I've no VA treatment left, as I handed my request for prescription in last week and was told by the receptionist I needed to wait a week for it.  It's not sore to pee, I've no burning, just the heavy full feeling in pelvis with urge to pee.  I'm a wee bit annoyed with the pharmacist for only giving me three days when they knew they would be closed until Tuesday. 

Flossieteacake

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2023, 11:31:46 AM »

How annoying you have to wait a week for your VA treatment when it is so vital. I hope you get it soon. I can see why you are annoyed as 3 days antibiotics rarely seems enough to kill an infection. I hope you can rest today.

holidaylover

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2023, 12:16:04 PM »

Well I'm off out for a lunch with family, just popped two more paracetamol, so shall just hope for the best til tomorrow!
I'm finished the antibiotics so may have a wee vino!  Might lessen the pain.  :-\  Hope we're seated near the toilet!!

Flossieteacake

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2023, 12:38:13 PM »

Enjoy your lunch. :)

holidaylover

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2023, 04:10:58 PM »

Thank you Flossie, we  had a lovely lunch.  Had two glasses of rose which I think numbed the pain for a bit.  Home now, going to take another couple of paracetamol as I'm getting sore again.  Sitting with pint of water and sipping a camomile tea.  Gosh, life is exciting!!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2023, 09:00:51 AM »

It does sound like an infection. 

I rarely run out of VA treatment.  On an 'in case' basis ......... when I get the need2P I swallow 2 Nurofen 3 times a day to ease symptoms.

I would speak to the Practice manager to find out why you had to wait for such important medication.  U can buy over the internet if necessary or Boots now sell a product which is for women over 50 who haven't had a bleed for 12 months  ::).  No restrictions there then  >:(

5-7 days AB treatment is required to treat urnine infections for which a fresh sample should be sent to a Lab for growing. However, with the backlog in the NHS who knows  >:(  ::)

holidaylover

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2023, 10:45:39 AM »

Thanks ladies, slightly better this morning, still a bit back ache but not quite as much urge to pee.  I'm taking paracetamol and will wait til morning and if no better will return to the pharmacy I used on Thursday.  The pharmacy that is open today is a good 40 minute walk away and I really don't feel like it when I think I can survive another day!
CLKD, I didn't think ibuprofen was the best for a water infection although I may be wrong.  Something to do with causing upper uti's or the likes. 

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2023, 12:04:08 PM »

Any info in the leaflet in the box?  Why would any form of pain relief product cause UTIs?  The bug travels on its own, by bad hygiene - unless the pain relief is inserted near the urethra, I can't see that there is a possibility.

Hopefully you will be able to get treatment tomorrow. 

holidaylover

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2023, 01:04:18 PM »

Well, I had to return to doctors last Wednesday as infection wasn't getting any better.  He gave me a 7 day course. Trimethoprim again.  Its Monday now and I am still suffering.  There are times in the day when I feel it is clearing and then it actually gets worse after I have taken my morning tablet for some reason.  Paracetamol eases the pain.  The antibiotics are seemingly doing nothing, except make me feel rather fuzzy headed in the morning.  I actually felt like I had a hangover on Saturday morning after glugging 2 glasses of alcohol free wine!  The doctor said if my symptoms hadn't improved after the course was done I should hand a water sample in.  I'm concerned though, as that would mean I may have to wait a couple of days before I get any more treatment.  Has anyone else found that Trimethoprim didn't work for them?  Should I have more of the same or do you think I need another type of antibiotic?  I'm away at the weekend and could really do with this gone.  What is worrying me is that I felt the infection niggling on the Sunday/Monday without realising what it was and then I had a cervical smear on the Tuesday which I found extremely sore due to my internal dryness.  I'm now a wee bit concerned that this could have made the infection worse. 

Flossieteacake

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2023, 01:55:23 PM »

Well, I had to return to doctors last Wednesday as infection wasn't getting any better.  He gave me a 7 day course. Trimethoprim again.  Its Monday now and I am still suffering.  There are times in the day when I feel it is clearing and then it actually gets worse after I have taken my morning tablet for some reason.  Paracetamol eases the pain.  The antibiotics are seemingly doing nothing, except make me feel rather fuzzy headed in the morning.  I actually felt like I had a hangover on Saturday morning after glugging 2 glasses of alcohol free wine!  The doctor said if my symptoms hadn't improved after the course was done I should hand a water sample in.  I'm concerned though, as that would mean I may have to wait a couple of days before I get any more treatment.  Has anyone else found that Trimethoprim didn't work for them?  Should I have more of the same or do you think I need another type of antibiotic?  I'm away at the weekend and could really do with this gone.  What is worrying me is that I felt the infection niggling on the Sunday/Monday without realising what it was and then I had a cervical smear on the Tuesday which I found extremely sore due to my internal dryness.  I'm now a wee bit concerned that this could have made the infection worse.

I have found taking a course of 3 days has never helped me and I always need 7 days of antibiotics. I often find it takes the full course before I see any improvements too. I can understand you are wondering if a different antibiotic may help as this has not shifted it so far. It could be you will feel better after this round. Having the smear test is likely to have made the pain worse for you.

Are you keeping up with vaginal moisturiser and VA treatment? I am sorry to hear you are still in pain. UTI's are really horrible.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2023, 02:01:57 PM »

A water sample needs to be sent to a Lab for growing.  Sometimes infections may become embedded  :-\

holidaylover

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2023, 02:23:37 PM »

Yes, I'm going to have to pop down to the surgery to collect a sample bottle.  This has been going on for nearly two weeks now.  Three days of Trimethoprim, a gap of three days due to Easter holidays, and now I'm on day 6 of the next lot.  I only have enough to last until tomorrow night and at this point I don't feel any better, in fact, I feel worse!  I've got the urge to pee more today and am really sore, plus headachy.   I haven't been using the Ovestin, as I only got my prescription at the end of the week, after running out and didn't know if I should use it or not.  Does the Ovestin actually help with a UTI.  I was scared it made it worse.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11