Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]

Author Topic: NEWBIES  (Read 81634 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: NEWBIES
« Reply #285 on: April 01, 2018, 01:43:50 PM »

Sorry that I can't  :welcomemm: everyone, been away on family duties  ::)

Browse round.  Join in.  Make Notes!!

Sapphirose

« Reply #286 on: May 01, 2018, 11:38:41 AM »

Hi all I'm sapphire
Have just joined this forum after coming across this on a menopause search anyways I am 49 and had a partial hysterectomy in my early 30s due to heavy periods all was well after that until I was 39 and kept going back and forwards to the drs with tummy pains swelling etc was going back and forward till I was 42 when eventually a locum go sent me for a scan and found a huge ovarian tumor and when I say big I mean big 2 days later I was in having everything else removed this tumor that the god said was all in my head was just under 7lbs in total weight thankfully it wasn't cancer which they thort it was I was so scared as I'd nurses my own mam through this and she passed at 47 anyways I'm now 7 years post op still suffering horrific sweats flashes etc and yes on hrt as well been told I'll need it for a while yet so that's me great to meet you all ❤️ Xxx

CLKD

« Reply #287 on: May 01, 2018, 12:09:13 PM »

:welcomemm:

Crikey, that weighed more than I did when I was born  ;D [3lb 4oz].

Browse round.   Join in.

NannyOgg

• First Flush
« Reply #288 on: May 03, 2018, 09:24:06 PM »

Hi,

I was recommended this website by my wonderful GP so hoping I can get some words of hormonal wisdom. I've been having hormonal shifts for just over 12 months now. My cycle is getting more erratic, random hot flushes and awful, awful rages. Hubby works away which doesn't help the stress levels. GP suggested either a mild anti depressant or cyclical HRT. I just can't decide which way to go. I'm quite happy for my periods to stop but I wonder if having regular bleeds for a few more years is a small price to pay for better moods and sanity, especially for my kids as they are only 7 and 5. Any advice or recommended threads would be most welcome.

::)

Tiddles

« Reply #289 on: May 04, 2018, 06:43:56 AM »

Hi NannyOgg

I sympathise with your dilemma and my experience seems to have  been similar to yours so you might find it interesting to hear what's happened to me on HRT.

My natural periods had been very erratic for about a year and when I started HRT I hadn't actually had one for 7 months. Mood changes / anxiety were the symptoms that finally led me to ask for HRT which I've now been on for 4 months and it's been a game changer.  Many of the physical symptoms have also stopped (hot flushes, night sweats) but best of all, my mood has stabilised. I was feeling suicidally depressed some days - I now have very few bad days - and the anxiety and nightmares have stopped. 

I am on sequential HRT so I have periods again and all the associated discomfort but it's preferable to the despair and hopelessness I was experiencing pre-HRT.

I was also offered anti depressants as an alternative  to HRT but I was convinced my symptoms were hormone related so chose this route.

That's been my experience so far.  I understand from reading on here that things can and may change again but for now I can honestly say HRT was one of the best things I ever did :-) Best of luck to you x

NannyOgg

• First Flush
« Reply #290 on: May 04, 2018, 09:59:14 AM »

Hi Tiddles.
This is just what I wanted to hear, thank you. I'm very low risk for BC so that is not really a worry for me. My Mother In Law said that regular periods for a few more years will be a small price to pay for not feeling psychotic. I have had the most dreadfully dark thoughts and trying various natural remedies just haven't worked at all. Did they say how long you would need to be on that one and if your bleeding will stop naturally while you're on it or if you will need to change at a later date? xxx

Tiddles

« Reply #291 on: May 04, 2018, 10:47:28 AM »

Hi NannyOgg

My understanding from what I've read is that it varies greatly from woman to woman how long menopausal symptoms go on and that what HRT does is to mask the natural symptoms of menopause caused by the hormonal changes whilst your actual menopause process carries on in the background for however long that takes. My understanding is that all the while you take sequi HRT you will have 'forced' periods, not related to the natural menopause going on in the background and will only know if your natural periods have stopped forever if you come off it long enough to find out. 

So in my case, what I'm thinking is I'll give it a couple of years and then come off and see how I am.  If the symptoms are still there I will go back on it.  Some ladies on here have been on HRT for 10 years or more.  I imagine at some stage the GP will want to review things anyway but at the moment mine is saying I can stay on it as long as I want.  I never want to go back to how I was feeling at the start of this year so I am in no hurry to come off!

My GP has said that once a full year has passed since my last natural period I can switch to conti HRT and not have 'forced' periods. I'll look into the pros and cons of that when I reach that stage in August.

With HRT it seems to be trial and error and waiting long enough to see what happens when you try something new. There also seems to be many diffferent combinations of types of HRT to try which compliicates things even more.  The good news is there are some ladies on this forum who really seem to know their stuff and so if you do decide to try HRT and then find your regime needs tweaking down the line, they can give you detailed advice about what to try based on your specific circumstances. I've also found keeping a symptom diary invaluable for helping me keep track of changes, positives, negatives etc.

Bottom line from me is HRT has worked a miracle.  I didn't want to go on it - resisted for quite a while, (tried menopace, cutting out caffeine, all sorts of things and nothing helped)  and I don't like the idea of being on it for decades but stacked against those emotional symptoms before I started taking it, well give me HRT and quality of life any day :-D xxx

NannyOgg

• First Flush
« Reply #292 on: May 04, 2018, 01:26:13 PM »

Hi Tiddles,
Yes it is all a bit of a minefield isn't it? That's good to know that there is an annual check up. If I'd had kids a lot younger or if they were a few years older then I would possible battle on a while longer but at their age, they need a Mum who is much more stable than I am now. I have to put their well being before my own determination to do things 'naturally' as it were. I have been trying Menopace too, before that was Black Cohosh and St John's Wort but as with yourself, it just hasn't touched it at all.

Thank you for the solidarity Tiddles, it has really helped already xxx

tika

« Reply #293 on: May 08, 2018, 09:05:53 AM »

Just joined this forum, think I am past the worst of menopause, and starting to feel much better, there does seem to be life after all when things settle down. Hoping I may be able to offer encouragement here and there to some ladies.

I am not on hormones now and feel much better.

Daisydot

« Reply #294 on: May 08, 2018, 02:33:56 PM »

Welcome tika,post away maybe start a new thread we love to hear success stories too,well done xx

Hurdity

« Reply #295 on: August 03, 2018, 07:55:04 PM »

Just to say  :welcomemm: to all the Newbies who have joined in the past 2-3 weeks while I've been away - won't have time to read all the posts! Hope you're all enjoying the forum and getting lots of help and support from all the wonderful women on here :)

Oh - Daisydot has left again  :-\

Hurdity x

Shadyglade

« Reply #296 on: August 04, 2018, 04:31:33 PM »

Er, don't think she came back  ???

Wish she would though.

Hurdity

« Reply #297 on: August 04, 2018, 07:26:25 PM »

Bit of a sidetrack but yes she left and came back and has now left again!

Hope all newbies are doing well and settling in - we don't bite ( often...) :)

Hurdity x

CLKD

Recent NEWBIES
« Reply #298 on: April 28, 2024, 02:05:43 PM »

I have noticed over the years that some who introduce themselves here, don't get a reply: as well as a few where I post advice, are not followed up by other Members.

I don't think it's because I give total advice which doesn't need any addition  :-\

So sorry if any1 feels left out  ::)
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]