Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Hrt question- continuous or sequential?  (Read 1142 times)

SpaceyTracey73

• First Flush
Hrt question- continuous or sequential?
« on: March 16, 2023, 12:07:16 PM »

Good morning !
I’m a new member and have found this site an absolute life saver whilst going through this perimenopause hell 🤪
Brief summary - been suffering for about 7 years with never ending list of symptoms that come and go, the worst being anxiety, inability to deal with stress, insomnia  and ibs. Over the last 18 months I have tried a number of hrt regimes ( pills and patches ) none of which seemed to make any marked improvement. Periods are still regular ( every 19-24 days) and was obviously on a sequential regime as still having periods. My own cycle definitely seems to be overriding any hrt hormones ! This was all prescribed via a private nurse who I can no longer afford to see.
 Last week I saw a wonderful new GP in our practice who has prescribed me gel and utrogestan but on a continuous basis as she feels this may ‘even out’ my cycles / symptoms? Initially I thought great …. But now Im wondering if this is the right thing to do seeing as I’m not post menopausal ? Would continuous progesterone protect womb lining and would i still have a bleed ?  Very confused and hope one of you lovely ladies have some advice  for me 😁  thank you ….!!

Dotty

Re: Hrt question- continuous or sequential?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2023, 06:28:13 PM »

Hi and welcome.

There’s no harm in trying a continual regime but if you’re still in peri then it’s likely that you will get breakthrough bleeding. Taking it continuously will not necessarily stop your periods.

SpaceyTracey73

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2023, 02:13:52 PM »

Thank you Dotty for your reply - will give it a try and see how things  go 🤞🏻

DottyD68

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2023, 07:33:00 PM »

Hi SpaceyTracey73,

Another Dotty here.

I think we are in a similar position in many ways Menopause-wise. I started sequi HRT (Oestrogel and 14 days of utrogestan) at age 53, 20 months ago, after 7 years of trying to manage peri-menopausal symptoms by various other methods. Have definitely felt better in lots of ways but still have a range of more manageable symptoms. Was advised by GP to move to continuous regime after 12 months on assumption in was 54 and should have stopped periods but so far, after 2 attempts, it has made me feel a lot worse. So gone back to sequi regime as I don't think my body is ready. Will be interested to hear how you get on.

SpaceyTracey73

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2023, 07:31:26 PM »

I will keep you posted….!just waiting to get through the last sequi cycle before going into continuous utrogestan. Must admit I’m a bit nervous as I have no idea what part of the hrt is causing my issues - all
I know is I can’t carry on for another 7 years feeling like this   :'( . Been a particularly bad few days with anxiety through the roof and been woken up with adrenaline rushes all night …. It sure is rubbish eh !