Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Help Replens caused bleeding  (Read 5661 times)

Drama

Help Replens caused bleeding
« on: March 15, 2023, 06:33:47 PM »

Hi

I haven’t had a period for 14 months. Been using Replens for dryness for 3 weeks and now have abnormal bleeding. Been to GP whose referred me to gynaecologist. Now read online that bleeding can be an adverse side effect of this lubricant. Nevertheless I’m absolutely terrified wish I had never used it. Anyone else had this issue with Replens or bleeding after 12 months of no period? And did it all turn out ok? Thank you.

Flossieteacake

Re: Help Replens caused bleeding
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2023, 06:52:18 PM »

Hello Drama. Welcome to the forum. Please do not panic. Replens can cause things such as irritation but once you stop using it your skin will recover.

You may like to try Sylk or Yes for moisturiser but it sounds to me like you may have vaginal atrophy hence the bleed. This is nothing to worry about and just needs treating with localised estrogen such as ovestin or vagifem. GPs often do not know what vaginal atrophy is so this could be why it was not mentioned to you.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2023, 07:09:48 PM »

Welcome.  Agree with Flossieteacake so do ring your surgery tomorrow and ask for appropriate vaginal atrophy treatment.  U probably don't need to see a gynae., it would be better for you to be referred to a dedicated NHS menopause clinic.

As oestrogen levels drop so the body may become dry: inside and out, including the vagina.  Why did U being to use 'Replens'?  It can be a bit harsh.

Let us know how you get on.   

Drama

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2023, 06:42:35 AM »

Thank you so much for your replies. That’s the thing GPs automatically think cancer with abnormal bleeding put you on the 2 week turnaround for hospital. I hear you that it could possibly be VA and Replens has aggregated it.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2023, 07:33:09 AM »

Do ring. your surgery for VA treatment and stop the replens.  U do not need an exam, a Nurse Practitioner can prescribe on symptoms.

Saltandsniff72

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2023, 08:56:10 PM »

I stopped using estradiol estrogen cream because it caused break through bleeding which is one of the side effects.
I decided that I didn't want to use stuff that makes me feel worse and makes me worry like crazy.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2023, 08:23:52 AM »

Salt ......... it's important to use something for vaginal atrophy which may become worse.  The main products are 'vagifem' or 'ovestin', as well as if necessary 'sylc' or 'yes' moistures.  One of the side effects  :-\ - when the vaginal skin is thin there may well be bleeding when something is inserted internally which will ease with appropriate treatment.  "Break through bleeding" isn't the same as thin skin which may tear and bleed.