Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Get rid of computers in the NHS!  (Read 3276 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Get rid of computers in the NHS!
« on: December 29, 2022, 01:58:34 PM »

A GP surgery accidentally told patients they had aggressive lung cancer instead of wishing them a merry Christmas.

Askern Medical Practice sent the message to people registered with the Doncaster surgery on 23 December.

Carl Chegwin, whose mother also received the text, said he was left upset by the out-of-the-blue message which "was enough to break someone".

The surgery said nobody was available for comment. The centre has almost 8,000 patients.

The text told recipients they had "aggressive lung cancer with metastases", a type of secondary malignant growth.

It directed patients to fill out a DS1500 form, which allows people with terminal diseases to claim certain benefits.

However, about an hour later people received a second text telling them it was an error and it was meant to wish them a merry Christmas instead.

CLKD

Get rid of computers in the NHS!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2022, 02:00:44 PM »

I fully believe that computers are the reason why so many patient records are not read or mis-understood!  When people flip through paper work in their hand, it's not as easy to miss vital information because that is filed in sections, i.e. blood results in one, X-ray results in another, general health issues ........ whereas on a computer if the information isn't turned back, so much can be missed!

Also it's time that GPs were giving Face2Face appts. - various Viruses will be around for ever so we should be getting back to actually seeing a medic as and when: after all, who pays their wages!

Ayesha

Re: Get rid of computers in the NHS!
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2022, 03:20:17 PM »

I once received a letter addressed to me regarding my breast cancer.  As I had never been to the GP with any concerns I knew it had to be a mistake.
I phoned the hospital and explained, they were mortified that they had sent the letter out by mistake.

Computers are here to stay, no gong back in time!

No problem with face to face at my surgery.  I fill in the E-Consult form and can be seen in under a week if necessary.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2022, 04:29:01 PM »

Would you share your surgery details: better not, we will all be there though I have to say that mine have been good when I explained what was required. 

Minusminnie

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2022, 08:57:38 AM »

I fully believe that computers are the reason why so many patient records are not read or mis-understood! 

One time when the doc left the room to get something i could see what looked like a precis in a box on the screen.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2022, 10:14:39 AM »

That's a good system - however, not all GP Surgeries run the same computer programmes  >:( hence the lack of linking up

However: someone in this instance pressed 'go'.  It wasn't done by robot surely?  Someone types in the information and sent it out.  Disgraceful, beyond a 'mistake'.  :'(

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2022, 10:43:29 AM »

It wasn't the computer that typed in the message and it wasn't the computer that pressed Send. You can't blame it for an error made by a human. And with notes on a computer they're typed so not the illegible scrawl most doctors produce (you've heard the joke that they fail their finals if the examiner can actually read what they've written?)

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2022, 11:53:13 AM »

That reminds of a Scientist for whom I worked: standing by him as he wrote notes and I still couldn't read them!  :-\

Joaniepat

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2022, 12:58:00 PM »

What sheila99 says. (Garbage in, garbage out.)
JP x

littleminnie

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2022, 05:37:20 PM »

We can book doctors appointments, check results and order repeat prescriptions on the nhs app.  Love it.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2022, 07:29:18 PM »

As a bit of a meander: I received a request to fill in a survey regarding the ease of booking appts at the local surgery.  I am quite happy to do so however; how did this Company 'randomly choose me' ...... if the NHS keeps my date under the Protection Act  :-\.  Surely they should have asked my permission B4 giving my information to a 2nd/3rd company who tell me that they will 'keep my data .... safe under the Protection Act'

littleminnie

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2023, 08:59:24 AM »

I received a survey too.   They can get the names from the electoral roll

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2023, 02:00:31 PM »

It says in the letter that we are drawn from NHS records  :-\

littleminnie

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2023, 05:47:12 PM »