Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: Has anyone used natural progesterone cream eg Biovea?  (Read 86210 times)

Scampidoodle

Has anyone used natural progesterone cream eg Biovea?
« on: December 23, 2022, 10:40:11 AM »

Hi

Looking for posts from people who have used natural progesterone cream and had a positive story? I suffer when my oestrogen is high, throughout the first half of my cycle up to ovulation. Then again when you get that rise in the second half of your cycle.

I’ve tried utrogestan and get very depressed and non functional about 5 days in and get insomnia right away too. It’s too much for me.

I’m 43, not fully into peri yet and I have the Mirena coil. I have histamine issues which for those who know are worse when oestrogen is present so need a small amount of progesterone to balance.

All those in the searches I find who have succcess have left? Hopefully not made to leave with negative comments!

Anyway if you use this and you have info please let me know! Thanks x

Kathleen

Re: Has anyone used natural progesterone cream eg Biovea?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2022, 01:49:55 PM »

Hello Scampidoodle

Unfortunately I cannot help with your question but I think Mary G,  who still posts on the forum has had success with progesterone cream. 

Can I ask if red and itchy blotches appear on your skin as part of your histamine reaction to oestrogen? I am trying to work out why this happens to me on HRT and I would welcome your insight. Many thanks.

Btw  wouldn't it  be great if everyone updated the forum when they found a solution to their problems! The information and knowledge gained here would be fantastic!

Take care and wishing you well.

K.

Scampidoodle

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2022, 02:14:03 PM »

Thanks for your reply Kathleen. I appreciate that. Hope Mary G and any others using it can help!

I just know progesterone
, or something to counter my estrogen,  helps. Twice now I’ve had my Mirena replaced and it’s immediately helped my issues. I think as it dampens my oestrogen or counters it. I’ve tried the progesterone pill but had a bad reaction with depression. Just a v small amount of progesterone seems to help. Hence me wondering about the P cream.

My symptoms during estrogen times of my cycle are anxiety, foggy head, really tired, really angry/irritable, nausea, jittery. I’m not on hrt after a disastrous trial with it a couple of years ago which uncovered that I had issues with histamine.

Red itchy patches may well be a histamine reaction Kathleen. Oestrogen raises histamine and histamine raises oestrogen. X
« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 05:38:46 PM by Scampidoodle »

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2022, 04:55:33 PM »

Hello again Scampidoodle

I hope that the ladies who are on this forum and are currently using progesterone cream can help you.

Many thanks for your thoughts on histamine and Oestrogen.  Back in the day I  would sometimes have red itchy lumps appear on my skin, usually my jawline. It would be hot and itchy for about 15 minutes and then quickly fade away. I never did find out what caused them and they may have been related to my cycle.
Nowadays a hot red patch can appear anywhere and after a few minutes of scratching it disappears. Obviously I don't have a cycle anymore but I am using HRT so perhaps that is the cause. The only thing I know about histamine is that it is influenced by B12 and I already supplement with that.

I wish you luck with your search for an effective progesterone cream and please let us know how you get on.

Wishing you well and take care.

K.

Scampidoodle

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2022, 05:37:00 PM »

Thanks Kathleen you’re very kind. Hormones are so linked to histamine and so many meno and peri symptoms are influenced by histamine. It’s a minefield!

I just ordered some Biovea. I darent use it though without a little help from someone who has used it!

X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2022, 05:54:02 PM »

What does it suggest on the product label? 

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2022, 06:09:37 PM »

There is a long thread on compounded hormones that you may find useful. Some people have found a bcp helpful in early peri, it might be worth discussing it with your gp.

CrispyChick

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2022, 07:02:50 PM »

Scampi, hellosam666 was using biovea alongside the mini pill (cerazette).

She appears to have left the forum (hopefully because she is in a good place) but she gave me lots of chat about biovea on the bhrt thread, worth looking through.

Xx

Scampidoodle

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2022, 09:44:30 PM »

Thankyou both! Appreciate it! X

Mary G

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2022, 11:14:22 PM »

Scampidoodle, I've just been alerted to your thread by another member!

I have a long thread on compounded progesterone in this section but Kathleen is right, I'm currently using branded progesterone gel with great success.

I have also used Biovea progesterone cream but I use the gel because I can easily buy it in any pharmacy in Spain.   To be honest, in my experience, they are both about the same ie no side effects and nothing like Utrogestan.

I take it you need progesterone for its calming effects?

Scampidoodle

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2022, 11:30:45 PM »

Ah thanks Mary (and whoever alerted you!) so you use gel. It’s good to hear it’s equivalent ish to biovea.

I would like its calming effects and for it to dampen the effects of my estrogen a bit. My estrogen is falling today post ovulation and honestly life is so much better. Until it starts to climb again in a few days.

When I had my Mirena inserted no one would believe how much it helped me as the dose was small and it’s local etc but it did! I don’t cope well with large doses or any drug and also struggle a lot with taking meds orally. It’s almost like I have to sneak them into my body somehow so it doesn’t react.

For info the Mirena has helped me twice now but after a while things creep back. I’ve had my current one for 6 months now and it hasn’t had the same effect this time. Maybe my own progesterone is lower now I’m 43.

So how has it helped you Mary, how much do you use, where do you put it etc X

Mary G

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2022, 11:50:14 AM »

Scampidoodle, I use progesterone as part of a continuous combined HRT regime.   I use four generous pumps (roughly 50mg) of progesterone gel and one generous pump of oestrogen gel every day.  I apply the oestrogen gel to inner thighs in the morning and the progesterone gel to both (entire) arms at night - there is an awful lot of the progesterone gel to apply.

In my case, progesterone is a necessity because I use oestrogen but I think it plays an important role as a hormone stabiliser and taken at the right dose and (this is just my experience) transdermally, I think it has a calming effect and aids sleep without the constant hunger caused by some forms of progesterone and most definitely without the dreadful side effects of Utrogestan and some of the synthetic progesterone brands.  I get a decent progesterone blood reading and good endometrial protection too so it definitely works.

It's interesting that you found the Mirena coil helpful because it contains a synthetic progesterone.   I have had two of them myself in the past but they didn't have a particularly positive effect other than birth control and keeping the womb lining thin - too thin in my case.   What it might indicate in your case is spiking, surging oestrogen and the coil was dampening down those surges - this is sometimes referred to as oestrogen dominance.   If the coil was losing its effectiveness it would suggest you are further into menopause and your own progesterone level has diminished.   Progesterone goes west first during the menopause and quite a long time before oestrogen starts seriously tanking.

Although the synthetic progesterone in the Mirena coil is mostly absorbed into the womb, enough of it gets into your overall system to cause side effects. 

Synthetic progesterone does not show up on blood tests but natural progesterone does.

I think progesterone cream could really help and I would definitely give it a try.  I hope that helps and please do come back with more questions if you need to.

Scampidoodle

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2022, 02:44:31 PM »

Thankyou Mary for all that information.

Definitely progesterone is a necessity for your regime. Mine isn’t but, I do feel like it’s the missing piece for me. I’ve just had a trial and error process with so many meds this last few months and years that it’s a scary process.

I think you’re right that the Mirena stopped the effects of spiking and surging oestrogen with the first two (inserted 2018 and 2021) - oestrogen raises my histamine levels that set off my mast cells so calming the surge is esssential for me. So many of the symptoms I get are so like the symptoms people get for low oestrogen (hot flushes, anxiety, heart flutters, facial flushing, exhaustion, depression) but for me oestrogen is the devil. I tried oestrogel a few years ago before finding out all this and I felt poisoned.

So I’ve ordered the biovea but I would be really interested in what you all think would be best, to add progesterone cream to counter my E or to take stuff to minimise the impact of E a bit, like Dim and/or calcium d glucarate. My E levels have never ever been really high, even when not in peri my levels can range from 97 at the start of the cycle to 430 just before ovulation. But that’s enough E for me, in fact the day I tested 97 I felt really good as it was on day 3 of my cycle and the E hadn’t started rising loads yet.

I think Mary G and Dangermouse are knowledgeable on this. I think Dangermouse takes Dim. But obviously anyone who has an opinion please say!

Thanks ladies I really appreciate  it xx

« Last Edit: December 26, 2022, 03:25:44 PM by Scampidoodle »

Mary G

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2022, 03:07:53 PM »

You are right, dangermouse takes DIM successfully and she has a similar oestrogen problem to yourself.   If you send her a PM, I think she will be able to help because she is great on the scientific side of hormones and she has a lot of personal experience with oestrogen dominance.

I would definitely start with the progesterone cream and possibly introduce DIM but I would ask dangermouse for her opinion.

Scampidoodle

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2022, 06:46:21 PM »

Thanks Mary I will send her a message. I’ve ordered it all so just need to wait for it all to arrive. I do feel like one of them is the solution to my issues it’s just finding the right doses and formulations and of course tolerating! X
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16