Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Christmas - what are you doing to survive it?  (Read 4772 times)

Zoe

Christmas - what are you doing to survive it?
« on: December 20, 2022, 09:55:14 AM »

Just wondering if any of you ladies are doing Christmas differently to compensate for peri/menopause symptoms?

Any top tips?

My chief adjustment is to stop feeling like I 'must' do certain things/contact certain people. By nature I am an initiator of relationships etc, but during these past few years have realised how few people actually reciprocate. I think this is a time of life to reflect on what really matters.

Flossieteacake

Re: Christmas - what are you doing to survive it?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2022, 10:06:42 AM »

That is a great idea Zoe.

As for me, I totally ignore it and pretend it is a normal day.  ;D

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2022, 01:43:11 PM »

I disappear on a cruise every Xmas and new year,just to escape an at home Xmas,all friends and family have all agreed to stop with cards and presents,so I'm relieved about that,such a waste of money,especially cards,which all just get chucked into the recycling......AND A HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE 🤣😂🤣

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2022, 03:05:09 PM »

.... and breath. It's 1 day, why does every one  :-X  ::)

For over 40 years DH and I travelled to where we were raised because our families lived close by.  Now we can stay at home  8).  We usually have breakfast then a walk; followed by C.mas pud: do we risk the C.mas pud dated 2017 :  :-\ :o ....... we cook in the evenings (that's DH ;-) ) so will do the meal then.  Boxing Day is left over to left overs  ;)

Now: if we had family to cater for, it would be a firm 'no'.  I hate parties. I hate crowds.  So it wouldn't even be a 'bring your own' day either  :D

Songbird

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2022, 04:43:08 PM »

My brother's doing a nightshift on Xmas night, driving a GP around to various callouts so we are having our festive meal on Boxing Day, once he gets out of his bed!  ;D
We're going to mum's on Christmas day for an afternoon tea though ☕🍰🥪

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2022, 05:13:17 PM »

People get into C.mas/New Year habits which eventually no one dares to break!  It was a relief to be able to stay here, we have over the years travelled in some atrocious weather  ::).  Let the children create their own memories?  If I didn't suffer anxiety I would get the family together in November or late Jan for a meal in a Motel that we use.  Not particularly seasonally themed .......... however.

;-)

Zoe - what have you decided to do?  I am a 'saver' so need to make suggestions so that everyone enjoys themselves, now I don't - it's not up to me any more >

jaypo

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2022, 10:53:27 AM »

When my daughter was young,I ALWAYS made sure she had the best Christmas's ever,mine as a child,weren't the best of memories so I made sure hers would be,we used to go on a forest walk and gather twigs and ivy,then we'd spray them with gold and silver paint and some glitter,they were as good as any you see in M&S selling for 20 quid  :D we'd also go and see Santa and his reindeer at the local garden centre,it was such fun, I miss those times  :'(

Zoe

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2022, 04:19:32 PM »

In the past, I have been the Christmas Queen: neighbourhood party, family and other folk over for dinner, presents, food, NYE Party, you get the idea!  ;D

However, with long covid and a horrid perimenopause, Christmas is just a reminder of everything I can't do right now.

I am also a bit fed up of the politics of it all - who wants to give presents, who doesn't, who is doing cards and who isn't. I almost need a spreadsheet to keep track!

ANYWAY, this year I decided just to do what suits me/us. Have sent cards to closest friends we don't see and bought small presents for family and friends. Just a 'minding' as my granny would say.

Christmas Day will be just three of us - me, my hubby and our son who is home for Christmas. My daughter and husband run Christmas like clockwork to accommodate all the children's naps so we will likely see them at some point, but this year I am not rearranging my routine to suit. Love them all, but this year is about having a relaxed day whilst still being pretty unwell with long covid.

Jaypo - a cruise - fab. Will note that for when I am well again!

Flossieteacake - yes, just one day gives perspective. My husband was a church minister for years so Christmas was definitely a month-long event.

CLKD - Christmas pudding early in the day - great idea. They last for years.

Songbird - sounds like you will have a lovely Christmas and Boxing Day.

I know that 'normal service will resume' in my life at some point, but it is good (I think) to take time to reflect and reassess what we have been doing for the past fifty or so years!!

My mother and father in law started going on Christmas holidays round about her late fifties. Now I know why!

sheila99

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2022, 04:31:49 PM »

I have ignored it so far but can't do for much longer. OH is off to get the turkey tonight (it's alive) and I will have to do the rest of the food shopping soon. Ideal excuse not to send cards this year, most of them will go straight in the bin when they're finally delivered sometime in Jan. No Xmas shopping yet, close family will have alpaca jumpers brought back from Bolivia, they may get something else in Jan when I face shopping.
CLKD - my mother had an excellent solution for aging Xmas puds, they may have dried out so add more and more brandy. If it's still dry at least you won't notice  :drunk:

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2022, 05:19:11 PM »

Sounds like we are all 'getting there'.  Women, doing it for themselves rings to mind  :lol:

I've always wanted live turkeys round the garden ....... a Stag with his Girls ?  Not quite enough room in our plot. 

I'll take your hint sheila99  ;)