Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: High blood pressure  (Read 6250 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: High blood pressure
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2022, 03:45:40 PM »

Try not to think too far ahead.  U may find your appt will be OK.  Anxiety can be caused by cortisol, the waking hormone which would raise me suddenly anytime after 3.00 a.m.  :'( I would wake terrified.  Betablocaka medication eased it fortunately. 

Let us know how you get on.

Lynda07

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2022, 04:20:13 PM »

Elliebee, yes my readings with the 24 hour monitor came down, something like 148/90 from memory - that was 11 month ago - of course this is still at the high end but my Dr agreed I could continue to try lifestyle changes, I'm due the 24 hour monitor again next month. I can't remember the exact at home readings but they were considerably higher than the 24 hour monitor. I was taking the readings at a time when no-one had asked me to take my blood pressure but I was feeling really anxious - so I took it - and I am afraid I then got myself into a downward spiral with it all. I  have cut alcohol out totally for 11 month now but I see you don't drink much anyway.

As CKLD said, it may well be fine at your appointment but I would agree with you that anxiety plays a part in it. Let us know how you go on.

Elliebee

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2022, 04:41:37 PM »

Lynda07 that’s reassuring . I’d prefer lifestyle changes to meds. What other changes have you made? I hope that they have reduced your BP further !

Lynda07

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2022, 05:18:07 PM »

Elliebee, I've tried to up my exercise - sadly I've also been diagnosed with osteoarthritis of the right hip so that's been hit and miss but I do walk daily (I have two collies so that's non negotiable lol). Some diet changes but my diet wasn't bad really. I think for me personally the single biggest thing I did was take responsibility for trying to sort my anxiety out as it was really at an all time high since 1990 at the beginning of this year and I couldn't get counselling (long waiting list). I discovered the Balance App and a website called The Anxious Truth and after years of searching they seemed to help me to some degree.

But - I still cant take my blood pressure at home. I can't believe I'm saying that after 11 months but just the thought of it scares me. I never used to be like it but am struggling to get past it.

I don't want tablets either, I gave up alcohol (and I loved a drink) rather than have to face medication.

Aprilflower

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2022, 05:49:48 PM »

My GP recently took my blood pressure, which was 180/80.  I already have a monitor so was asked to test at home for two weeks (two days to go).  I am averaging 142/72,  which I am quite happy with.  White coat syndrome is very common so I wouldn't worry too much.

They do like you to be closer to 130 but anything around 140 usually means life style changes.  Medication for high blood pressure is not always/: often affective. Check out what you can do to lower it naturally and remember, worry will raise it anyway.

Elliebee

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2022, 06:09:56 PM »

Lynda07 I think it’s anxiety pushing mine up! I’m not on any meds and try to manage symptoms naturally. My anxiety is definitely worse in second half of cycle. Still having periods - more light spotting really/ but they are erratic.
I will look at the Anxious Truth site. I use the Balance App.

Elliebee

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2022, 06:12:09 PM »

April flower I can’t even bring myself to
Monitor it at home 😬 Going to try and relax until my appointment tomorrow.

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2022, 06:33:32 PM »

What's the worst that could happen if you took your BP 3 times a day?  Anxiety is dreadful which may well increase BP .  I've lived with it since the age of 3  :'(

Lynda07

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2022, 06:50:14 PM »

CKLD, for me, the worse thing would be three readings a day that were off the scale due to my anxiety- and probably not a true reading as such, as wearing the monitor for 24 hours proved. So then I’d get in more of a state the next day and the next until in the end it would be an unhealthy obsession for me.
I sympathise with you as I’ve suffered since childhood too.

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2022, 07:01:11 PM »

It can take a while to over come anxiety.  Especially something health related.  I know that by taking my BP due to a possible diabetic problem I am making sure that I am looking after myself to the best of my ability.  Ask me to do something tomorrow though and anxiety levels rise  >:( :'(.  Spontaneous.  Me.

Anxiety can be so controlling.

Lynda07

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2022, 07:14:53 PM »

CLKD, it can be for sure.x

Elliebee

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2022, 07:19:12 PM »

Anxiety is just horrendous and definitely gets worse in perimenopause. I know what u mean Lynda07 about checking and this causing more anxiety. It’s a viscous circle.

Lynda07

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2022, 07:36:28 PM »

Elliebee, if you haven’t already I would mention to the Dr how anxious it’s made you feel so they can at least take that into account when they take your bp. That may make a difference to what they suggest next if it is high - and it might not be high anyway, thinking positively. Like you said you’d had a stressful journey to your original appointment.

Elliebee

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2022, 08:32:57 PM »

Lynda I will do. I’ll let everyone know how I get on. Thank you for all your help and advice.

CLKD

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2022, 08:34:17 PM »

Do some relaxation breathing when you get to the surgery and press the fact that you are extremely nervous. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4