Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: High blood pressure  (Read 6253 times)

Elliebee

High blood pressure
« on: December 18, 2022, 11:35:28 AM »

I had a routine BUPA health assessment last week and my blood pressure was initially 141/90 (I had a stressful journey to centre). The assessor told me it was slightly high and he would repeat at end of assessment. Further 2 readings were higher at 160/90! I do suffer from health anxiety and I am worried sick now. Results were sent to GP and I’ve to go in tomorrow afternoon for Bp check. I cannot relax!
I borrowed a friends BP monitor on Friday and my my BP was all over the place so I have stopped using that as it was freaking me out even more!
I’m a healthy weight and cholesterol although slightly above 5 - my good cholesterol is very high and ratio of good to bad cholesterol is very good.
Are these BP levels Horrendous and how do I stay calm for BP check tomorrow??

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: High blood pressure
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2022, 11:57:55 AM »

Get a home monitor from Boots. Measure every day at the same time breakfast is best.  White Coat Syndrome is common.  After a few mornings U will find that you anxiety levels drop so the BP will too.

I don't think this 1 off is a worry.  My machine gives a heart rate too. 

Tell the GP/Nurse that you are anxious about the results, they are used to that.  They may take 3 readings .... don't worry about that either.

Let us know how you get on.  Mine went up to 149/70 last week after 5 days off in the 121s. 

Elliebee

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2022, 12:26:35 PM »

I borrowed a friends monitor but it made me even more anxious!

Songbird

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2022, 12:39:36 PM »

Hi Elliebee
I definitely suffer from white coat syndrome so my surgery is going to allow me to take my own blood pressure over a couple of days as part of my annual HRT check. I used my own monitor a few months ago and it was ok. I agree it’s hard to relax before you are about to take the reading but make sure you don’t have caffeine for 2 or 3 hours prior, do a bit of deep breathing, even listen to a “meditation to reduce your blood pressure” on YouTube. That’s what I do  ;)

Elliebee

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2022, 01:27:31 PM »

Just the thought of having the cuff fitted sends my anxiety through the roof. I’m looking for a good natural remedy for anxiety and morning dreads
I do listen to meditation apps and do breathing exercises too.
Just got it in my head that I’m going to have a stroke or heart attack any minute!

Tinkerbell

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2022, 01:42:21 PM »

Buy a home one, Omron are the ones i use and take two readings, twice a day and discard first reading you can then average those out over a week.
I have white coat syndrome in medical setting, always have. I have been coping with a lot of stress this year and even home readings have spiked all over the place.
One of the GPs at my practice takes a holistic approach plus BP meds if needed. He sent me a load of links about relaxation, deep breathing, mindfulness. Have to say i was a bit sceptical but after a lot of practice with the controlled breathing i now get  systolic readings lower by us much as 30 pts. My diastolic seems to behave itself a bit more.
Getting anxious makes my BP spike even on home monitor, i doubt you have true high BP. So try and relax about it and buy a home one.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2022, 01:46:47 PM »

GP told me stroke risk rises with readings that are over 180/120 constantly.
Do you exercise? I ways up mine if getting higher readings as like you worry about stroke risk.

Elliebee

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2022, 02:09:23 PM »

I do exercise- run 6k 3/4 times a week and do a weekly Bootcamp, plus walking and gardening etc. I probably need to check salt intake. We do cook from scratch but sometimes use curry pastes, soy sauces , soups etc.
My mum has high blood pressure so it could be genetic?

Tinkerbell

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2022, 02:32:16 PM »

Wow, you do exercise a lot!

It can have a genetic component,my sister has raised BP too. Although both my parents have never had high BP and they are now in their eighties.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2022, 02:56:05 PM »

I borrowed a friends monitor but it made me even more anxious!. Using 1 regularly will even your readings.  A stroke is likely if 1 has consistently high blood pressure, ias well as being overweight, lacks an exercise regime.  1 can do too much exercise, particularly if you aren't eating to compensate.

Keeping hydrated is important when exercising. 

1 is rarely aware of a stroke, my neighbour was ill for several months with no particular symptoms that would suggest one.  She's made a good recovery.

Let us know how you get on at the GP appt. 

The body requires salts.  MinL's GP kept cutting her intake down due to her dizzy spells each morning as she got out of bed: when she was rushed to Hospital the Consultant couldn't understand how she could stand at all!!! her potassium was so low it was touch and go.  She had cramps in hands and feet and I kept suggesting that she was lacking salt but "The GP told me "  >:(

The body also requires fats. 

Elliebee

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2022, 03:08:58 PM »

I don’t drink enough water , especially in winter. I do drink alcohol but only 2/3 times a week and mostly within the recommended limits.

I think anxiety is a big contributing factor.

Lynda07

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2022, 03:11:50 PM »

Hi Elliebee

I could have written your original post, except my readings were higher than yours.

I can't even take my blood pressure monitor out of the drawer at home, after some higher readings last year. It just makes me so anxious.

What helped me was wearing a 24 hour monitor from the Dr's surgery. For some reason, even though I knew it would go off every 30 minutes (hourly at bedtime) I didn't get as stressed over it. Worth a thought maybe.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2022, 03:13:56 PM »

Good idea.  As long as 1 continues with the usual daily routine: not like MinL who wouldn't move about or do housework for the whole week she wore one! so of course, readings were 'normal'. Or stayed with her son and was waiting on, hand and food.  Proved nowt hence the rush to Hospital ....... [see above].

Lynda07

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2022, 03:15:37 PM »

You are right CLKD, you do have to "carry on as normal" when wearing it. In the past I've occasionally had to jot down what I was doing at the time of readings.

Elliebee

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2022, 03:22:32 PM »

I would certainly prefer the 24 hour monitor and carry on as normal. If my reading is normal tomorrow I will still worry that this wrong!

If high then I will ask for the 24 hR monitor.

How high were your readings Lynda? Did the 24 hR monitor show lower levels?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4