Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Saying Hello  (Read 1103 times)

RJT

• First Flush
Saying Hello
« on: November 07, 2022, 04:30:34 PM »

Hi Ladies. I am new to the forum, but not new to menopause. I am 61 and had a hysterectomy at at 43. Kept my ovaries so the slide into HRT took a few years. I am currently on 1 mg of oral Estradiol and slow release Progesterone.My story with these issues is a saga so I'll save volumes 1 and 2 for now.

The latest chapter is a severe case of VA and all the horrors that go with. It first popped up 2 years ago and I got it under control with Vagifem 3x per week. And then like an idiot I decided to try something new and got talked into the Femring. Went off my systemic  HRT. Huge disaster for me. It caused a flare up that has lasted close to a year.

I've been given Estradiol cream to use in addition to the Vagifem but is burned so badly I couldn't make any progress. After spending hours on this forum I realized I never did a loading dose and that I might have to power through the irritation initially.

I'm currently on day 7 of loading and the irritation has calmed down considerably. I feel like I'm making some progress.

I cannot thank you all enough for your dedication to this forum and for your honesty and support to the members. You have helped so much through some very difficult days.

discogirl

Re: Saying Hello
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2022, 04:35:15 PM »

hi RJT

:welcomemm:

this site has been a lifeline to me and you'll get lots if help xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2022, 04:41:19 PM »

HI!  VA can be difficult with it's Trial and Error.  If you have Vagifem and the area is sore, don't try to insert completely into the vagina - put it in as comfy as it is.  As the vagina becomes less dry and sore, you will be able to insert more deeply.

Some find that 'ovestin' - the other method of delivering oestrogen - rubbed gently onto the out labia: or 'yes' or 'sylc' products can do the same job.  Its' about keeping the whole vagina etc. as moist as possible to ease itching.  U may find that you require 'vagifem' and/or 'ovestin' nightly.  Get hold of a copy of "Me and My Menopausal Vagina" written by a Member of the Forum - read and pass on ;-)

When I get the nip as the spincter shuts off urine flow I swallow 2 nurofen tablets 3 times a day to ease the 'ouch'!  Some find that sitting on a 'ring' helps to protect the vagina/bottom from impact.

Welcome to the Wonderful World  ::).  Let us know how you get on!

RJT

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2022, 05:17:17 PM »

I did read the book and just passed it on the my pelvic floor PT.
I've had the Yes VM for a few months and I'm not sure I like it. I did just get a moisturizer from a pharmacy in Canada that was developed by Menopause Chicks that is just HA and but E. I think it may work for me. I haven't added it into the rotation fully yet because I didn't want to add too many variables. My goal is ultimately Vagifem every other night with cream on the outside and the HA moisturizer on the other nights.
I'm not sure I can get a script for the Vagifem for every other night in the US. 3x per week seems like the max. I may have to really fight for it.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2022, 06:00:22 PM »

We have the problems in the UK too, glad that you have The Book ;-).  Don't wait until you need the script repeated, ask around - are there dedicated menopause clinics where you live?

RJT

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2022, 09:21:53 PM »

Sadly no. I'm not even sure that is a thing in the US. It is all done through your obgyn. I am very lucky that my doc is a hormone trained provider. Most are not. So I may need to get him on board and we may need to do battle with my insurance to get it approved.
You all have given me lots of ammo to battle with though and I feel much better informed just by reading the posts on this forum.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2022, 09:06:36 AM »

Morning.  Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use to chart progress.

RJT

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2022, 10:12:51 AM »

I have one going. I have IBS so a symptom tracker is part of my daily routine. I'm making some improvement on the loading dose so for now I'm cautiously optimistic.

Ayesha

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2022, 04:55:31 PM »

Hi RJT and welcome to the forum.

I just wanted to say that VA treatment can take months to take effect, it's all about being very patient but the treatment works eventually.
It becomes a regime, trial and error at first, but it seems you are already beginning to feel relief from the symptoms.

My VA treatment is Vagifem and a small amount of Ovestin mixed with Sylk moisturiser on the outside every day. I have been on this regime for exactly a year and I am now free of the horrible symptoms of VA, if I try to reduce my treatment, I start to feel symptoms of the VA creeping back again.

My doctor is very happy for me to use this treatment every day and I never have any problems getting my medication.
Reading case histories are helpful when it comes to how other women are being treated for this horrid condition, it will give you ammunition if you have trouble with medics, its ok to use VA treatment every day if you need to.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 06:18:30 PM by Ayesha »