Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Endless Period. Looking for some reassurance!  (Read 2801 times)

Njshep

Endless Period. Looking for some reassurance!
« on: August 07, 2022, 11:36:31 AM »

Hello All-
I am new to this forum.
I am 50 years old and the last couple of years has seen my cycle shorten from 26 days to anywhere between 21-24 days. Periods are much heavier with significant clots and can last a few days longer than the usual 5 I have always had.
My last period has gone haywire. I began on day 23 (July 22)
and started light…. Had one incredibly heavy day and then it seemed to stop in its tracks on day 4. What followed by 6 days of something between spotting and a light flow. Everything between brown, light pink and back to bright red. Heavy flow began after the 6 days of spotting and still continues. Todays marks day 17 of this endless period with no end in sight.
Is this a normal feature of perimenopause? I’m very worried.
I do have a dr appointment next week to discuss but looking for any insight or similar experiences to keep my anxiety at bay between now and then!
Thank you….

Taz2

Re: Endless Period. Looking for some reassurance!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2022, 12:25:54 PM »

Hi. Yes your symptoms are very common during peri menopause. My longest period was 6 weeks and during this time it's as if I started another period while still bleeding from the previous one! It's all down to fluctuating hormone levels. Have you checked out the menu on the home page? This gives an explanation as to why peri gives rise to changes in periods. It's under Menopause.

If your bleeding has been heavy for a few periods you might like to ask your doctor to check your iron levels to make sure you are not becoming anaemic.

My periods were troublesome from around 51 up until I started HRT at 53 due mainly to debilitating hot flushes. There are various treatments to help control bleeding and hopefully your GP will be able to advise on this.

You will find lots of support and friendship on this forum so any other questions don't be afraid to ask.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2022, 01:11:33 PM »

Welcome.  My periods waxed and waned for several years  ::)

My periods would last 10 days anyway.  With intense uncontrollable pain and clotting.  Then I would have 10 days off .....

How do you feel otherwise?  Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary useful.

Njshep

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2022, 02:24:23 PM »

Thank you for your replies.
I am certain my iron stores are low… dizziness, whooshing and pounding in ears after exertion, short of breath (even tho I workout intensely).
I just don’t understand how this flow can just continue on and on and on? Feel like I will need a transfusion sometime soon!😂

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2022, 02:29:14 PM »

How many pads are you using in 24 hours?  There is prescribed medication that will ease heavy bleeding . 

Njshep

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2022, 02:42:57 PM »

It varies, when it is heavy at least 8 in a 24 hour period.

joziel

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2022, 03:25:24 PM »

You probably need to be on an iron supplement.

Have you considered a Mirena coil? They are known to be great for stopping bleeding altogether.

Your doctor may refer you for an ultrasound just to check there's no reason for the bleeding but it can be very normal during peri..

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2022, 03:51:48 PM »

Has your GP suggested medication to ease the flow?

Njshep

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2022, 04:12:40 PM »

No. I have not been in yet to address this. It’s all very new (and annoying!). I see my go next week.

Njshep

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2022, 03:02:07 PM »

It’s now day 18 of this, I bumped up my appointment to today so I can hopefully get some answers as to what is happening.

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2022, 03:10:00 PM »

It is perfectly normal during peri menopause but worrying when it first happens. You do get used to it though. How heavy is the bleeding? Are you having to use night time pads during the day? Maybe tampons too?

Taz x

Njshep

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2022, 04:29:34 PM »

That is comforting to know that for many of you this was a part of peri. It’s the continual bright red blood that I find so concerning. Is this also normal?

Taz2

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2022, 04:48:48 PM »

Bright red blood is fresh which is the normal colour for period blood. In peri you can also have dark red or brown blood which has been in the uterus for longer. Have you got pain, clots?

Taz x

Njshep

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2022, 05:00:07 PM »

No pain, but loads of clots on heavy days. It’s slowing down but every time its bright red when I wipe. Not the normal tapering off to pink and brown. Just an endless steady go of red…..

joziel

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2022, 05:00:50 PM »

I think you're doing the right thing to get checked out by the doctor. They will probably give you something to try to stop the bleeding and refer you for an ultrasound scan...
Pages: [1] 2