Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: How to postpone a bleed while on holiday  (Read 1030 times)

Rose74

• First Flush
How to postpone a bleed while on holiday
« on: August 09, 2022, 03:40:44 PM »

Hello all I'm new here. I'm on evorel 50 patches and utrogestan tablets To be taken 2wks on 2wks off. I've been on hrt for about 6 months. I'm in the perimenopause, before the hrt my period was erratic nothing for months then a massive bleed, hot flashes etc. I've a couple of questions if that's OK.  My 1st question is I'm going abroad for 2 weeks at the end of August which means I'll be taking my 2 utrogestan tablets every night, then having  a bleed slap bang I the middle of my holiday. Is there anything I can do to postpone this bleed.
 My 2nd question is does anyone else get a rash where the patches have been that looks like love bites the rash usually last just under a week. It doesn't hurt its just unsightly, but should I be concerned I'm struggling to get a call back from my hrt nurse and to be honest my questions feel quite trivial to be bothering her.

sheila99

Re: How to postpone a bleed while on holiday
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2022, 04:45:28 PM »

You can try delaying taking utro but if you still have a cycle of your own you may bleed anyway. Is it possible the patch is pulling the skin? When I had an allergic reaction I came out in spots under it which hurt. I would ask your gp, if it is an allergic reaction it will only get worse. And check there's nothing on your skin before you apply the patch.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2022, 04:49:38 PM »

I have tried Estradot and Femseven patches and got skin reaction. The Femseven patches made me look like i had sucker marks all over my buttocks and in end i had to give up with them.

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2022, 04:51:40 PM »

My reaction was to evorel. I've changed to oestrogel which has been fine. Might be worth trying?

Ruth Emery

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2022, 05:02:11 PM »

Hello all I'm new here. I'm on evorel 50 patches and utrogestan tablets To be taken 2wks on 2wks off. I've been on hrt for about 6 months. I'm in the perimenopause, before the hrt my period was erratic nothing for months then a massive bleed, hot flashes etc. I've a couple of questions if that's OK.  My 1st question is I'm going abroad for 2 weeks at the end of August which means I'll be taking my 2 utrogestan tablets every night, then having  a bleed slap bang I the middle of my holiday. Is there anything I can do to postpone this bleed.
 My 2nd question is does anyone else get a rash where the patches have been that looks like love bites the rash usually last just under a week. It doesn't hurt its just unsightly, but should I be concerned I'm struggling to get a call back from my hrt nurse and to be honest my questions feel quite trivial to be bothering her.
Hello I have had this exact dilemma as I fly out to Greece this Saturday and will come on midway through the last week of being away which of course I did not want to do so the doctor prescribed me tablets that you take X3 a day about 3/4 days before you bleed. Can't remember what they are called though.. maybe Google the name, sorry ☺️
I take evorel 75 patches previously was on 50's and have exactly the same,I find it tends to be if I get them wet,then the skin is wet and sweaty underneath when I peel them off but the marks go usually after a couple of days. I had been putting tegaderm dressings over them because they weren't sticking and this helped a bit but now find if I seal them very well when I first apply them it's not as bad.
Norethisterone is the name of the tablets I think 👍🏻

joziel

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2022, 05:12:52 PM »

I wouldn't try to postpone a bleed if you have everything under control and in a nice pattern at the moment. You might just create chaos...

It sounds like you are having a reaction to the adhesives in the patch. Every patch brand uses different adhesives, so you might want to try swapping to a different brand. Estradot is quite popular...

Rose74

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2022, 12:10:18 AM »

Thank you all, This Hrt stuff is like a mine field. The other thing I'm getting is acne a few day's before I'm due to start taking the utrogestan. Maybe I do need to talk it all through with my hrt nurse 🤔.  She didn't want me to change my patches to a different type because theirs apparently a shortage of the others so she told me to stick with them and see if the rash gets better. So ust to confirm, it's not dangerous to delay taking utrogestan for a week?

joziel

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2022, 10:50:10 AM »

It's not going to be dangerous but you could upset your bleeding patterns and that could take some time/months into the future to recover.

Are you on testosterone? That is more likely to cause acne than anything else, often when you are having slightly too much of it or have just started it.

There are shortages of some patches but you can make a dose up by using combinations - if you are on a 50 patch and they are out of those, you can use 2x 25s for eg... I don't think you should be told to stay on a patch which you have a skin reaction to, just because of HRT stocks...! Reactions can get more severe if you continue to expose yourself to the irritant...

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2022, 11:19:29 AM »

Most of all, enjoy your holiday!

sheila99

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2022, 11:26:22 AM »

It isn't dangerous at all to delay it by a week. I wouldn't get too hung up on what might happen. If it's your own cycle inducing the bleed you will bleed regardless of the utro cycle, if it's utro that caused it you will just have a longer cycle that month. Just start counting again from day 1 on the first day of your bleed whenever that is. In my experience my own cycle always overrides the hrt one so as long as I adjust the hrt cycle to stay in step with my own it's fine.