Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Asthma Inhalers and Bone Density Concerns - Anyone out there who can advise?  (Read 702 times)

Freckles24749

• First Flush

Hello there,
I'm new to this forum, nice to e-meet you!
I've been exeperiencing some shoulder issues (never had any joint issues in my life previously) and I've tried a physio, made no difference at all. Tried another physio, made no difference. I'm now seeing an Osteopath. Making a big difference and is super helpful in freeing up my shoulder and increasing mobility.

On my first visit, he said that if I was taking asthma inhalers (medium dose inhaled steroids) and if I've been taking them for years (which I have since aged about 12, I'm now 49), that I needed to request a bone density scan to make sure I don't have any issues with that.

So, I requested a bone density scan from my GP. I then heard back from my GP who said that it wasn't indicated and that asthma inhaled steroids have no bearing on bone density issues.

I think this isn't right. I've found articles in various medical journals (including BMJ) about bone density issues with inhaled steroids and these have been published in the last two years. There's articles from USA/UK etc.

It's really, really difficult to get a GP appointment atm, all my interactions with my surgery about this have been via e-consult and automated texts from my surgery. I'm now chasing this down.

Am I right to be chasing this, is this is an issue? Am I worrying about nothing? Anyone out there with similar experiences?
Thank you!

joziel

I don't know anything about asthma inhalers and bone density, but if you want a dexa scan and your GP won't refer you, you can have one privately. They are not too expensive, probably about £150.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

Morning.  As oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  Frozen shoulder and hiatus hernia are common ailments in peri-menopause.

A bone density scan should be taken of pelvis and hips which is the deepest bone.  GPs tend to not refer as it costs the Practice money!  However, if they did more tests it might save the NHS in the long term.

If you are working for a company with a Health Insurance benefits, have a lookC to find out if density scans are offered though it may be a mobile practitioner who will most likely, scan ankles and feet .

Let us know how you get on.

Ayesha

A neighbour was a lifetime user of steroids for his asthma and he developed osteoporosis in his old age, I thought it was a well known side effect of using steroids long term, or am I wrong! 

Marchlove

Yes it is, but they don’t acknowledge this issue from inhalers as they say the dosage is so low.
But long term use surely must cause issues.
Could you print out the studies you have found and send them to your GP with a letter requesting a dexa scan based on this? X