Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Shaving /soap  (Read 3995 times)

Flossieteacake

Re: Shaving /soap
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2022, 08:38:42 AM »

I have never washed my vagina! Do you mean vulva?? I don’t put soap there, ever. Am I the only one? I just don’t think that’s good for it!! It promotes things like thrush i was told. It’s also not necessary to wash after urinating.
You can use the laser method for bikini line but personally I stopped with all that in my 30’s when I realised it was simply another expense and chore marketed at women only and men who are a lot hairier don’t feel the need to!

I totally agree with you. I never use soap there. I did when I was young as I thought I was meant to and I got bacterial vaginosis. A GP told me to never use soap there and it is self cleansing. I agree with you about removing hair being aimed at women.

ATB

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2022, 08:49:15 AM »

Oh someone just loves debating everything I say don’t they!

>> Your chances of developing thrush increase if:

your skin is irritated or damaged
you use products that irritate the skin such as perfumed products, bubble baths or vaginal washing products
you've recently taken antibiotics
you have poorly controlled diabetes
you have a weakened immune system – for example you're having chemotherapy or living with HIV
you're pregnant << ( from an nhs link, any nhs site on the topic says the same thing! It’s also a condition that lives in the vagina, gut & mouth, not back passage. )

A wash with water is not the same as using soap, which is neither necessary or recommended. Obviously we all shower and bathe!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 08:53:16 AM by ATB »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2022, 10:00:28 AM »

There shouldn't be an issue on a Forum for sharing information :  Thrush - candida - thrives on sugars.  It can affect various areas of the body.  That which affects the vagina exists in the back passage : my Gynae Registrar explained this to me in my first attack which occurred when I stopped taking The Pill in 198? .  I've also been affected following emergency hospital admission ........ so when I elect for surgery I swallow LIVE yoghurt for the 10 days B4 and after admission.  Works for me.

Candida albicans is an opportunistic pathogenic yeast that is a common member of the human gut flora. It can also survive outside the human body. It is detected in the gastrointestinal tract and mouth in 40–60% of healthy adults. Wikipedia

NHS - Why do I keep getting vaginal thrush?

the menstrual cycle, which may cause monthly thrush episodes. hormonal or vaginal pH changes. sexual activity. having a weakened immune system (such as HIV or chemotherapy treatments)    4 Oct 2019
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 10:08:27 AM by CLKD »

joziel

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2022, 10:08:07 AM »

Thrush can be caused by anything which upsets the vaginal microbiome. Washing and using scented stuff up there can for sure upset the microbiome.

I don't wash with any products, and never have. I just give it a quick rinse around the vulva with water only, when I shower. I've never had thrush in my life.

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2022, 10:09:38 AM »

NHS recommends:

Do -
use water and emollient (like E45 cream) instead of soap to wash the affected area
dry properly after washing
wear cotton underwear
avoid sex until thrush has cleared up if sex is uncomfortable

Do not -
do not use soaps or shower gels
do not use douches or deodorants on your vagina or penis
do not wear tight underwear or tights

ATB

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2022, 10:26:00 AM »

sharing info isn’t the issue, it’s replying to someone that’s already made it clear you’ve made them uncomfortable & unwelcome, with a ‘nope’ you’re wrong… when in fact I am completely right about it and you’re wrong. Thrush does not come from the anus. It lives in the vagina, gut & mouth. It is kept in balance in those areas usually but certain things including soaps disrupt the balance and create growth that causes symptoms. Everything I originally said is fact. Any NHS link will tell us that.

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2022, 12:12:41 PM »

Sorry for anyone who is upset.  The written word is of course, static.

However: thrush lives in the bowel/back passage.  ATB agrees that it lives in the 'gut and mouth'.  So how can that not involve the back passage  :-\

The various pages that I have read this morning state this as fact.  It does not 'live' or originate in the vagina although an NHS site suggerts otherwise  :-\ so more confusion >:(.  It is passed forwards due to bad toileting hygiene. 

The best description is from Natural Health, a US-based group :

Candida – How Did It Start?

Candida is a fungus, or yeast, that lives naturally in all our bodies. When it is in the right balance with our good gut bacteria there are no problems – it is when things get out of balance that the trouble starts. For many people, the initial imbalance occurs when we take our very first round of oral antibiotics (that is those we swallow not those we are given in hospital via an IV drip).

Unfortunately, the good bacteria in our intestinal tract are an innocent casualty of the sweeping effect of antibiotics. The job of antibiotics is to kill the bacteria that are making us sick however, because there are so many species of bacteria present in our intestines, both good and bad, antibiotics will not just kill the bad bacteria but will indiscriminately kill the good ones too. This leaves more room for the Candida that lives in our gut to grow and over-populate the intestinal tract causing a whole raft of seemingly unconnected symptoms including gas and bloating.

Having read yet another NHS site:

Can you get thrush inside you?

Vaginal thrush is a common infection caused by an overgrowth of the yeast Candida albicans. This yeast lives naturally in the bowel and in small numbers in the vagina. It's mostly harmless, but symptoms can develop if yeast numbers increase. About 75% of women will have vaginal thrush in their lifetime.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 12:18:25 PM by CLKD »

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2022, 12:55:39 PM »

I'm still reading and it seems that I am being old fashioned  :-\

Can thrush irritate the urethra?

Vulvovaginal candidiasis, a form of vulvovaginitis, commonly occurs in women and may cause burning pain and irritation in the vagina, bladder, urethra, vulva and labia. Urine passing over this inflamed tissue may cause considerable burning or stinging.

Source:

www.medicalnewstoday.com › articles

ATB

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2022, 01:08:42 PM »

So anyway… as I said initially, soap and other perfumed products increase risk of thrush. So do other things but that was my comment. Thrush does live in the vagina, as I said.

It’s such a nice day here, no sense going over and over and over something so minor, copying endless conflicting selective descriptions, when there are so much better things to do with one’s time.

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2022, 01:43:00 PM »

Anyone for tennis? 🤣😂

jaypo

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2022, 02:10:35 PM »

Tiptoes out of thread 🙄

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2022, 02:31:12 PM »

Prefer MotoGP myself.

ElkWarning

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2022, 09:09:38 PM »

Having read yet another NHS site:

Can you get thrush inside you?

Vaginal thrush is a common infection caused by an overgrowth of the yeast Candida albicans. This yeast lives naturally in the bowel and in small numbers in the vagina. It's mostly harmless, but symptoms can develop if yeast numbers increase. About 75% of women will have vaginal thrush in their lifetime.

Would you mind saying which 'other NHS site', because I've just searched that quote and it doesn't seem to be from an NHS website at all. Perhaps sticking to the facts, from reputable sources, would avoid confusion and upset.

Ayesha

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2022, 10:29:41 AM »

I see ATB has left which I believe is a great loss as she was so knowledgeable and helped a lot of women on the forum. I may be new here but I have browsed for a long time before joining, she was always there with a helping hand to women in great distress.

I hope she returns when she feels its the right time and more able to deal with those who have not been the kindest towards her.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 11:26:56 AM by Ayesha »

Weeloz

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2022, 07:54:48 PM »

that's a shame , How do you know she has left . I can't see that
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4