Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Post menopause issues  (Read 12062 times)

AlfieBo

Post menopause issues
« on: August 02, 2022, 12:45:56 PM »

:'( hi ladies I've been reading your posts lately for help of ideas. Bit of long story. I'm 62 and last period was around 9 years ago. Had usual hot flushes but nothing major. About 4 years in started with bit of dryness with sex and was going to start treatment when husband was killed in traumatic accident. I was put on antidepressants and menopause went on back burner. Now suddenly at 62 I started with a discharge and itchiness.  I'm not sexually active. Had swabs taken and pain was horrendous. Ive had smear in 2019 and that wasn't as bad. Swabs negative but trace of blood on urine dipstick no infection. I was given canestan which helped a little. Have been given estriol cream but not started yet. I have been told I have perineum atrophy I feel as if I'm going through menopause again hot sweats weepy etc. Is it possible for symptoms to come back. I don't know if this atrophy has just got so bad that I've just started feeling it. I think it could be genitourinary menopause syndrome as also lose bit of wee if sneezing ect with full bladder. Sitting is sore. Feeling so alone with this and think I'm going mad.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Post menopause issues
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2022, 12:52:35 PM »

Not going mad!  U have had a lot of stress and grief to deal with.  Often hormones can be upset when grieving, in that periods stop completely then begin as the years go by.  It may be that your ovaries shut down for a while and have now begun to reactivate = symptoms. 

Start the vaginal atrophy treatment.  One dose this afternoon and another at night.  Then every night for at least 2 weeks.  I use 'ovestin', which have you got ?  'vagifem' is also useful, some find that they require that as well as ovestin on the outer labia or a moisturiser such as 'yes' or 'sylc'.  I find that KY Jelly is enough for me.

When I get the need2P niggles I swallow two Nurofen tablets every 3 hours.  That ease the nip as the spincter shuts off the urine flow.

:bighug:  ........ CRUSE can be useful if you need to talk about your husband's sudden death, or MIND charity - they helped me when a friend died suddenly. 

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary useful to chart progress.

AlfieBo

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2022, 01:31:36 PM »

Hi we had just become grandparents for first time so had to support new baby and depressed daughter at the time then have lost 5 other close family members and friend in short period of time as well
I did wonder if I'd suddenly had a huge dip in estrogen as that what it feels like as if the reserves in my tank had just gone.
Gp has prescribed estriol cream 0.01%. Every night for 2 to 3 weeks then x 2 weekly. I'm due to go to London next week so hesitant to start this as need to wash out applicator but feel so unwell.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2022, 01:59:14 PM »

Get it up there Girl ;-).  If necessary take a separate sponge bag with a thin brush to use privately.  Warm soapy water and air dry should do it.  Whoops cat jumped through window wanting his food, be back shortly  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2022, 02:02:26 PM »

Back now.  He's not even our cat  ::)

Be kind to yourself! What support is DD and GS getting now? 

You will find that vaginal symptoms ease once you get the treatment started.  It won't improve without. 

I haven't been to London for over 25 years ........  :-\ don't know whether to say enjoy yourself  ::)

Each box of ovestin has an applicator ........... I could do a good black market trade ;-)

AlfieBo

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2022, 02:16:48 PM »

Hi

Dd and ds are just managing things as they go along now. Ds is currently buying a house so it will just be me and my lovely labrador Alfie. I just have 1 tube of cream and 1 applicator. I feel so rubbish for want of a polite word don't understand what's happening. Perhaps if I'd been sexually active I would have clicked things were not good before now. Being a widow in menopause just exacerbates everything. Been on a zoom call with work which is mental health services but kept feet up which feels better

AlfieBo

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2022, 02:18:41 PM »

Sorry just seen you meant gs. He is 5 now and is OK. He refers to grandad as a star in the sky

Tinkerbell

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2022, 02:44:06 PM »

Sorry to hear about the loss of your husband. It sounds very like VA, i used to find it difficult sitting down too.

Keep the treatment going, you may need to use it more than twice a week when you are on a maintenance regime. I never managed on twice a week.

AlfieBo

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2022, 03:24:47 PM »

As I am so sore any advice on coating the applicator with something to help or do I just grit my teeth. Also I have read on here about not washing area with soap does anyone use anything other than water. Sorry so many questions. Any ideas on what to take for the flushes. I've read about members taking? Seabuckwheat.

I've tried bicarb of soda half teaspoon in water which got rid of sting but gave me awful diarrhoea anyone had similar experience

Ayesha

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2022, 03:38:52 PM »

Everything feels worse when you are under immense stress, symptoms do get worse that's for sure!

My experience with Vaginal Atrophy is the symptoms progressively get worse, never better, therefore the sooner you start the treatment the better because it can take months to take full effect. My symptoms became so chronic it was impossible to sit down, the burning was intense and the non stop peeing.

My regime is Vagifem pessaries, Ovestin cream used locally and very important, a feminine moisturiser, I use Sylk, this is now my daily routine.
These symptoms have all calmed down now and I am back to feeling normal again, getting that sorted will help you to feel calmer about the other issues you have with the menopause.

AlfieBo

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2022, 03:58:39 PM »

Thank you for all your help. The sylk is it just for outside area or is that internal as well.

Joaniepat

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2022, 04:13:45 PM »

As I am so sore any advice on coating the applicator with something to help or do I just grit my teeth. Also I have read on here about not washing area with soap does anyone use anything other than water.
You can coat the cream applicator with some Sylk, and also apply some to the vaginal entrance to aid insertion. For washing the vulva  you can use an emollient such as Epaderm or Hydromol mixed with water between your hands. Cetraben cream is also good. You can buy a little pump dispenser from Boots.
JP x

Ayesha

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2022, 04:18:28 PM »

Sylk is perfectly safe, I just slather it on the outside and inside.
There are other moisturisers if you don't like Sylk. Yes is another popular one but they are so important in helping Vaginal Atrophy symptoms.

I forgot to add I use Aqueous cream for washing but as Joaniepat has mentioned there are other options.
So many things to remember, its a new way of life!! 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 04:24:22 PM by Ayesha »

Kate57

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2022, 04:47:03 PM »

Hello AlfieBo,
I've recently had a similar problem to yourself, very dry, itchy and sore down below ( I have not been sexually active for many years ). This problem came as a bit of a shock ... anyway I was prescribed the Estriol cream same as you. I have not used the applicator -  I didn't feel as if I would be able to insert it without a lot of pain, so I have VERY gently being applying a little on the outside and slowly and carefully inserting some more into the sore spot and going a little higher if I think I can take it ( just using a blob of cream on clean finger). This has helped a lot ...after about 3 applications. In fact after a few weeks of doing this I now feel fine. This cream has been fantastic and I've had no problem with it.
I hope you get as much relief as I have using this.
Best regards
Katie

AlfieBo

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2022, 05:35:17 PM »

Thank you Katie. Being suddenly widowed I've not been sexually active for around 5 years I've been meno for about 9. So like you this has suddenly reared its ugly head without my realising earlier. Unfortunately it's come with other meno symptoms ie hot flushes and anxiety not wanting to leave the house but think it's as I am so sore. Just feel like staying in my bed with hot water bottle and Alfie my lab. Luckily I can work from home. I've got the cream just need the confidance to use it scared it will make it worse.  :-\
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6