Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Heat Exhaustion  (Read 2653 times)

JoJo42

Heat Exhaustion
« on: July 26, 2022, 09:23:49 AM »

Just wondered if anyone knows anything about heat exhaustion? I woke up in the middle of the night on last Tuesday’s heatwave shivering and shaking, all my joints ached and my skin felt sore (not sunburn because I stayed home all day with the air coolers on). I got up and came downstairs and then started to feel hotter and hotter. I went outside to cool down in the early morning cool breeze when I started to sweat profusely, feeling dizzy and nauseous and then was sick a few times. Gradually, I started to feel better over the course of the day , drank plenty and my temperature settled, sickness went away and no more joint pains or tender skin (like flu). I felt better after a day or two and things went back to normal and just out it all down to the heat and the weather as I don’t cope well with summer anyway. Anyway, last night I woke in the night with the same shivering, shaking, joint pain, sore skin, fluey-feeling fever! Very weird. I came downstairs, had a drink and checked my temp which was 37.8 after I’d cooled down a bit. I haven’t been sick/faint/dizzy like last time, but I do feel a bit rough still. Had two paracetemol and my temp is ok. Had some breakfast and been to the toilet ok, no issues. Could this still be after-effects of heat exhaustion? My husband says it’s obviously something else, but it just seems odd that the first bout of illness was on the hottest day of the year and our bedroom was stifling. Anyone have any experience of this kind of thing, or know if heat exhaustion can last for  a while/ come back days later? I’m befuddled.

Dierdre

Re: Heat Exhaustion
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2022, 09:29:05 AM »

Sounds more like a virus to me. Did you do a test for Covid?

JoJo42

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2022, 09:54:00 AM »

Hi, Deirdre

I checked that and the test was negative. I wonder what it could be?

ElkWarning

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2022, 10:52:38 AM »

I've had heatstroke, and yeah, the first instance sounds spot on for that ... Mine didn't come back though, and I remained in the hot country so was still exposed to the heat.  I'd ask your doc for a full blood work up to check kidney and liver function.  They could've been put under a bit of strain and still be in recovery.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2022, 12:15:32 PM »

Heat exhaustion needs checking immediately B4 the sufferer becomes incoherent.  It may be a reaction to a hot flush, waking suddenly, being very hot followed by very cold.  What you describe is me in a panic attack  :'(

How do you feel today?

JoJo42

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2022, 04:44:27 PM »

Thank you ElkWarning. CLKD it started the other way round from a hot flush, going from shivering and chills to very hot and feverish. It doesn’t feel like a panic attack. I am thinking it’s either related to last week’s heat exhaustion during heatwave that may have left me a bit oversensitive to heat. I went for a walk in the park yesterday and it was cloudy but very humid, then when I was leaving the sun came out and it was really hot on the back of my neck for a while as I walked back to the car. I’ve been snoozing all afternoon, but i wonder now if it might be covid as i read you can get a spiking fever that comes and goes with that. Not feeling too bad now, but feeling a bit fluey stillwith no energy and a bit dizzy still when i stand up. Will have to see how it goes. Thanks folks xx

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2022, 06:40:38 PM »

I agree with Elkwarning.
I nearly passed out a couple of years ago from the heat, but my quick thinking OH got me to the car and blasted the aircon on me. Temperature came down, but I still felt rough for the rest of the day.
No sickness or anything like that, just weak and was going to pass out.
I wonder if it affects people different? 🤷🏼‍♀️
It didn’t return afterwards, BUT I did take it easy and kept as cool as I could.
Jd xx

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2022, 08:53:22 PM »

What are the 8 common signs of a heat stroke?

Throbbing headache.
Dizziness and light-headedness.
Lack of sweating despite the heat.
Red, hot, and dry skin.
Muscle weakness or cramps.
Nausea and vomiting.
Rapid heartbeat, which may be either strong or weak.
Rapid, shallow breathing.

Having watched a few pro cyclists suffering last week, it amazes me that they weren't pulled from le Tour  >:(.  Heat stroke can be fatal.

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2022, 11:29:49 PM »

Test again for covid. I felt similar to this for three days of negative tests before it registered positive

Taz x

JoJo42

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2022, 04:19:37 PM »

Thanks Taz,
no idea how the cyclists manage in that kind of heat!

I’ll do another covid test to be sure.

I feel a lot better today. I slept well last night (no more fevers, so far) and haven’t been out all day, just snoozed in the recliner chair on and off and pottered around the house. I think it might well be all be heat-related effects lingering from last week and just need a bit longer to get over it. 

JoJo42

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2022, 04:33:40 PM »

Thank you Jillydoll, I’ve had a slow easy day today and it has done me good. I think I need to take it easy for a few more days and stay as cool as poss like you say. It has been warm but with a cool breeze today which has been nice with the windows open. I know I shouldn’t say it but…roll-on autumn!

Ju Ju

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2022, 09:11:38 PM »

My grandson, age 9, was sent home from school on Tuesday last week with heat stroke. He kept vomiting and was very poorly. My daughter rang 111 for advice as it was quite alarming, but as my daughter judged, not serious enough for A&E. She followed advice and also chatted to a doctor, who wanted a urine sample to check foraUTI or diabetes. He gradually got better over the next few days, but was exhausted and unable to return to school before the end of term. This week he is back to his bright, bubbly, happy self, but it certainly took its toll last week. Apparently no other children suffered like him, but I taught in that school and found the classrooms unpleasant in warm weather and too cold in winter.

JoJo42

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2022, 05:52:17 PM »

Omg! Sorry to hear about your grandson, Ju Ju. What a worry for you all. Really glad he’s feeling better. I walked my dog in the park today and it was humid again and ended up having another strange spell of feeling hot and sick and dizzy. I came home and had to lie down straight away, but now I feel absolutely fine again. I seem to be recovering quicker each time so I think that must represent a kind of progress. I think it’s definitely heat related. I’ll give it another week and see how it goes. Hope your grandson is ok. x

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2022, 06:08:31 PM »

I've had funny turns today, think it's the heat  >:(.  I haven't the energy even to put the hose round the pot plants  :'(  :-\

JoJo42

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2022, 06:15:17 PM »

I’m ready for autumn, CLKD! Had enough of the heat. I think I must be part if the Addams Family - I like cold, dark, gloomy days,   :bat: >:D   Hope you feel better soon. I seem to have bounced from one health issue to another so far this year. Ah well. This too shall pass x
Pages: [1] 2