Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Acid reflux and diaphragm  (Read 3059 times)

Stella2

Acid reflux and diaphragm
« on: July 07, 2022, 06:55:56 AM »

I just thought to see if anyone has done any research on this. I have been suffering with acid reflux or heartburn or indigestion, i am never sure what it is, for a long time. I am at the stage when I can't drink coffee, carbonated drinks, I do not drink alcohol anyway, and I have to be careful with what I eat so I avoid going to the restaurants  :(. Occasionally I take omeprazole prescribed by the GP although recently they said that possibly I should do tests to see if anything sinister is involved.
Recently i have been reading about the connection between diaphragm and oesophagus and it make sense - if the diaphragm is not functioning properly, the acid from stomach will enter the oesophagus. It also makes sense that stomach has to be acidic so using antacids is not the best cure.
I have started doing some belly breathing for my diaphragm so I just wonder if anyone had any success with this or has any comments

Stella2

Re: Acid reflux and diaphragm
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2022, 07:17:19 AM »

Hi Jaypo,
Sorry you also experience this, it's awful, isn't it? I always had a problem with this but more during the peri and menopause. I have not always been careful with what I eat but now I really am and I am aware of what causes the outbreak. But I would like to be able to eat out  etc. because even when
Ii think I have chosen a meal that will agree with me I end up suffering when I am back home. So I am trying to find a way to get a bit better. I wonder if belly breathing could help x

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2022, 07:39:09 AM »

Hi Stella. It is a very uncomfortable condition to have. Although you are managing your symptoms I would agree with your doctor that investigation would be a good idea just to rule out anything sinister. My sliding hiatus hernia was identified in this way.

Have you got any soreness in your throat which is what made me 'give in' and have tests. Also, do you wake up choking on stomach acid in the night? This is a gross feeling. Lying on your right side will also make reflux worse.

Nobody likes the thought of endoscopy but it is a good way of seeing (literally) what's going on. I'm on Omeprazole for mine and can eat and drink normally again. I would obviously prefer not to have to take medication but it's not my fault my body has malfunctioned and no amount of cutting down on certain foods/drinks made a difference.

You are right about the anti acids not being a very good long term solution although they may give temporary relief.

Taz x

Stella2

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2022, 08:00:58 AM »

Hi Taz,

Thank you, my symptoms are usually pain bellow my ribs (it's not a heart attack) that lasts for long time and won't go away with gaviscon only. It has been better since I have been doing belly breathing and massage just under the ribs as per some you tube videos. I don't get the feeling in my throat, only occasionally I feel as if something is travelling up, or choking feelings, sorry to hear you are, it's awful.
May I ask you if you been sedated during endoscopy? I am a bit frightened due to my anxiety and history of panic attacks, I would rather not know what is going on... :)

Flossieteacake

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2022, 08:40:05 AM »

I had an endoscopy that revealed I have a hiatal hernia. I had local anaesthetic and was not aware of what was happening. I did not feel anything at all. I have to take lansoprazole every single day or the acid is unbearable. I know what you mean by not being able to eat out. I can never find anything outside that does not make acid worse.

Gnatty

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2022, 11:27:19 AM »

I occasionally suffer with this, and it's very interesting what you say about the diaphragm because I have always been able to calm it down with my breathing/ meditating. So yes in short, it is very helpful to do full belly breathing. I imagine too that it calms the whole system down too so works in more than one way.

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2022, 12:54:20 PM »

I've had one without sedation which was ok but the second one they hadn't got the smaller mouth guard which I needed. I agreed to give it a go anyway but had to give up part way through as it panicked me. I then was referred for it to be done under conscious sedation and this was brilliant. Once the drug is administered you are able to follow all instructions but the sedation wipes any memory of it.

Taz x

Stella2

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2022, 02:08:56 PM »

Thank you for your replies. Unfortunately I contacted the GP online and they decided to issue another Omeprazole prescription. I think I will have to push for tests, l don't think it's normal to feel like this every day. I feel encouraged to go for endoscopy after your comments. And keep on breathing...x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2022, 02:10:46 PM »

Hiatus hernia is common at 'our age'  >:(. As oestrogen levels drop muscles maybe lax inside and out of the body.  As well as the body may become dry: inside and out. It's The Change, does what it says on the tin  >:(  ::)

4 several years my main drinks have been black T, 2 sugars until lunchtime, after which my taste buds altered.  So I drank a lot of Coke which made me have a reflux cough.  Since altering my liquid intake, that cough has settled: unless I have Coke.

Omprazlone (sp) 1 capsule at breakfast helps.

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2022, 02:30:07 PM »

Thank you for your replies. Unfortunately I contacted the GP online and they decided to issue another Omeprazole prescription. I think I will have to push for tests, l don't think it's normal to feel like this every day. I feel encouraged to go for endoscopy after your comments. And keep on breathing...x

What strength have you been given?

Taz x

Stella2

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2022, 02:52:27 PM »

Not sure yet, prescription is not ready. I think it used to be 200 mg if I'm not wrong. I agree CLKD, the lovely Change. Maybe the belly breathing will stretch the diaphragm, as Gnatty said, it's good anyway x

Kathleen

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2022, 03:06:31 PM »

Hello ladies.

Stella2 -  I don't have any experience of acid reflux but I understand that breathing through your nose instead of your mouth means that you engage your diaphragm naturally. You may find that keeping your mouth closed when breathing helps you develop this new habit.

Hopefully this is useful to you and wishing you well.

K.

Abba Fan

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2022, 03:31:51 PM »

I had been using Omeprazole for years and still getting reflux, my gp upped the dose every time I went to see him. I watched this video that I shall link below and I instantly knew this was what my problem was. I didn’t have too much acid, I had too little to break down proteins. I weaned myself off the Omeprazole and I now take betaine HCL before every meal. It’s been two months and I don’t get reflux at all now.

https://youtu.be/i_UWDPrDR40

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2022, 04:03:16 PM »

tnx.  Dr James le Fanu of the Telegraph is not a fan of continual use of Omeprazolol .

Abba Fan

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2022, 04:10:45 PM »

@CKLD Omeprazole is very bad for you, I’m so glad I got off it, the Gps prescribe it like sweets.
Pages: [1] 2