Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Positive Polypectomy Experience  (Read 1094 times)

acidpod

• First Flush
Positive Polypectomy Experience
« on: July 01, 2022, 01:47:00 PM »

Hi, I’ve had a long time learning and appreciating the forums here, and I feel I have something useful to say!

I’m 57 and have been experiencing PMB after increasing my estrogel during lockdown. It seemed to bump me back into a regular menstrual cycle last September.

December I had a scan and internal which were fine, and just as I was about to leave, there was an order for a hysteroscopy from a gynaecologist in the next room who I had never met!

At the time, I was filled with fear all of a sudden and refused. I thought I knew what was going on and there seemed no reason.

So I reduced my estrogel from 4 to 2 pumps, and although the bleeding changed, it carried on. So I was re referred on the two week fast track.

This time it showed I had a 1.5 cm uterine polyp.

This morning I had the Polypectomy. I was so scared by stories I had heard, I started crying when I was in there. I had been living in fear for weeks.

Result? The 4 people attending could not have been lovelier. I steeled myself for pain , I had a local anaesthetic. I felt a tiny scratch and that was it. Then they did the dilation which was just slightly uncomfortable.  I watched them remove the polyp and felt nothing. The very vaguest of cramp. It was all over in 10 minutes max. I drive home after a cup of tea, and 3 hours later no real cramps. A slightly and vaguely sore tummy.

So I just wanted to say, we are all different. I was so so scared and it was fine. So much more routine than I thought. I have sympathy and respect for those who suffered more than me, but I found it almost impossible to find positive experiences to read, so I hope it might help put someone’s mind at ease. Xx

Estrogel 2 pumps, Utrogestan daily, 3 vaginal births 18 and 21 years ago.

QueenofReds3

Re: Positive Polypectomy Experience
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2022, 02:44:38 PM »

Hi acidpod
I am so glad your experience was a positive one. Recently, I was put on 2 week referral because of thickened lining it was not until I was having the investigation that they found another polyp. In total over the last few year I have had 3 hysterospopies, 2 polyps removed and one fibroid removed. All done at different hospitals. I have never been offered local or General anaesthetic. The first 2 were absolutely fine, a bit of cramping but came away able to drive and work next day. I was also well informed about the before and after procedure. But… the recent one, very basic leaflet, absolutely painful experience I have ever encountered, the gynae never even talked to me until after, he said all clear, but I removed a polyp, did you feel the pain? I was so shocked and feeling like I was going to faint. He left the room, the nurses who were never near me when he was doing the procedure, ran over and said are you okay? I was white as a sheet. I said no I was not. One of them said you were brilliant you did not shout out. I saiid is that usual then, she said yes. I was to dress, the go. I left a fifth floor dept and tried to go down the stairs, I could not walk and felt sick. I felt from start to finish my welfare was not a consideration, I have put in a complaint as like I said the other experiences I had were like yours, caring consultant, nurses etc.
I personally do not think it is that we are all different! I have had 2 children natural births, colonoscopy, endoscopy and colposcopy and nothing was as mentally and physically damaging to me as the last experience. I will not be going to that hospital again that is for sure.

acidpod

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2022, 04:37:03 PM »

Hi acidpod
I am so glad your experience was a positive one. Recently, I was put on 2 week referral because of thickened lining it was not until I was having the investigation that they found another polyp. In total over the last few year I have had 3 hysterospopies, 2 polyps removed and one fibroid removed. All done at different hospitals. I have never been offered local or General anaesthetic. The first 2 were absolutely fine, a bit of cramping but came away able to drive and work next day. I was also well informed about the before and after procedure. But… the recent one, very basic leaflet, absolutely painful experience I have ever encountered, the gynae never even talked to me until after, he said all clear, but I removed a polyp, did you feel the pain? I was so shocked and feeling like I was going to faint. He left the room, the nurses who were never near me when he was doing the procedure, ran over and said are you okay? I was white as a sheet. I said no I was not. One of them said you were brilliant you did not shout out. I saiid is that usual then, she said yes. I was to dress, the go. I left a fifth floor dept and tried to go down the stairs, I could not walk and felt sick. I felt from start to finish my welfare was not a consideration, I have put in a complaint as like I said the other experiences I had were like yours, caring consultant, nurses etc.
I personally do not think it is that we are all different! I have had 2 children natural births, colonoscopy, endoscopy and colposcopy and nothing was as mentally and physically damaging to me as the last experience. I will not be going to that hospital again that is for sure.

Yes. Perhaps I put that incorrectly. That sounds horrific and really what I feared. The manner of the staff in attendance means so much

QueenofReds3

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2022, 05:09:33 PM »

Thanks acidpod, we should not have to fear such things, I am always nervous of going for investigations but usually come away thinking , well that was not so bad. We are all different but I meant the level of care and information given should be of the same standards in each hospital. I was shocked on how I was treated, they were late in the clinic between patients so I think the gynaecologist was stressed and I could see he was grumpy to the nurses, so unprofessional. It took me ten days to feel normal again, and mentally it has affected me so much I am untrusting of gynaecologists. Hopefully in time this will pass, I know another poster on here had a really bad experience but it’s great to see positive posts too. Fingers crossed we do not have to go through it again. X

acidpod

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2022, 05:16:22 PM »

Thanks acidpod, we should not have to fear such things, I am always nervous of going for investigations but usually come away thinking , well that was not so bad. We are all different but I meant the level of care and information given should be of the same standards in each hospital. I was shocked on how I was treated, they were late in the clinic between patients so I think the gynaecologist was stressed and I could see he was grumpy to the nurses, so unprofessional. It took me ten days to feel normal again, and mentally it has affected me so much I am untrusting of gynaecologists. Hopefully in time this will pass, I know another poster on here had a really bad experience but it’s great to see positive posts too. Fingers crossed we do not have to go through it again. X

Absolutely, fingers crossed! Xx