Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: I had no idea!!! outsourcing of GP surgeries  (Read 1897 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
I had no idea!!! outsourcing of GP surgeries
« on: June 13, 2022, 11:35:52 AM »

The UK's biggest chain of GP practices lets less qualified staff see patients without adequate supervision, an undercover BBC Panorama investigation has found.

Operose Health is putting patients at risk by prioritising profit, says a senior GP.

The company, with almost 600,000 NHS patients, is owned by US healthcare giant Centene Corporation.

Operose says it's not short-staffed and operates in patients' best interests.

CLKD

Re: I had no idea!!! outsourcing of GP surgeries
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2022, 11:37:14 AM »

Does any1 here or know of any1 who uses a health facility that has been outsourced ?

ElkWarning

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2022, 12:55:11 PM »

Outsourced? GPs have never been part of the NHS. The only way the government in the 1940s were able to negotiate the formation of the NHS with doctors was to agree that practices could remain private. In many ways, the structure of a surgery is similar to that of a solicitors, hence why both have partners.

To answer your question, they were never 'in-sourced' and have instead always billed the NHS for provision of services.

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2022, 04:21:16 PM »

Hello ladies.

When forming the NHS Aneurin Bevan was asked how he won over the doctors, he replied that he 'stuffed their mouths with gold'.

With so much outsourcing  I think the NHS has become a logo to be purchased and used for marketing purposes. A bit like the Royal Mail!

Take care ladies.

K.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2022, 09:51:32 PM »

Interesting ElkWarning.  I am aware that GPs were no longer able to do small surgical procedures in Practice, it was all taken into the Hospitals. 

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2022, 07:50:53 AM »

My surgery has a 3 week wait for an appointment and that's if you can through at 8am so many people end up at the OOH nurse or A&E. I'd rather have a less qualified person available for minor issues as long as I can see a GP in a sensible time frame when I need one.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2022, 08:30:56 AM »

Apparently 'they' are supposedly under GP observation; so why not simply get an appt. with a GP  :-\

Tinkerbell

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2022, 10:11:10 PM »

Our practice is owned by Operose. It is horrendous getting appointments, adult son has had to resort to paying for private GP on two occassions now.

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2022, 07:02:23 AM »

ElkWarning

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2022, 06:19:27 PM »

Our practice is owned by Operose. It is horrendous getting appointments, adult son has had to resort to paying for private GP on two occassions now.

I believe that's what's called 'working as intended'.

Katejo

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2022, 08:28:14 PM »

My practice isn't owned by Operose (as far as I know) but it is extremely difficult to get an appointment. I had a phone conversation with a receptionist early yesterday who insisted that they absolutely couldn't see me until next week. I had logged a request with EConsult on thursday with a suspected ear infection. They keep fobbing us off with 'ask a pharmacist' even though I know perfectly well that the pharmacist can't help with anything requiring a prescription. A GP did ring me later in the day and told me to come in on Monday but I was lucky not to miss the call. I happened to be by the phone.

How did your son go about getting the appointment with the private GP? The services which I have seen advertised require you to deregister from the NHS practice first.