Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Muscle twitching  (Read 5419 times)

SamP

• First Flush
Muscle twitching
« on: June 12, 2022, 02:47:46 PM »

Hi I’m new to the forum but my anxiety bad again with constant worry about muscles twitching. I saw a post regarding some ladies hanging the same issues and wonder who else has had these twitches … mine are widespread all over body since October last year. Had some remission for 2-3 weeks in March then it started again! When I use muscles I can’t feel it but at rest they all start twitching in hands arms calf’s thighs buttocks feet you name it it’ll twitch! I keep going back down the rabbit hole of The sinister disease and trying to tell myself it must be peri menopause …. Just wonder if anyone out there can offer reassurance or empathise? Saw a neurologist back in October and exam all clear … think he thought I was mad to be honest! Anyway would love to hear from anyone with similar symptoms and how you stop the mind whirling to the wrong place
Thanks
Sam

Flossieteacake

Re: Muscle twitching
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2022, 03:12:15 PM »

Hello Sam. Welcome to the forum. I get these odd twitches all the time. They can be anywhere on my body too. Once I realised it is part of menopause it helped me accept it and not worry. You have the all clear from a neurologist which is very reassuring.  :)

SamP

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2022, 03:50:03 PM »

Thank you it just seems to be constant like a bag of worms running around … it’s good to hear it’s definitely part of menopause as I can’t find a lot of info regarding it.really appreciate your reply x

Flossieteacake

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2022, 04:03:31 PM »

You are most welcome. It is a horrid feeling. I am sure other members will post soon with suggestions for you.

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2022, 09:40:26 PM »

Hi SamP. Did the neurologist giveyou any advice on what you can do to reduce your twitching which does sound severe and distressing for you? Have you heard of Benign Fasciculation Syndrome? I imagine you have had your magnesium and calcium levels checked too.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2022, 10:10:41 AM »

Hello SamP and welcome to the forum.

I am aware that an internal shaking sensation is menopausal as it was mentioned in my trusty meno book and has been reported by other ladies here. This is certainly something that has affected me and a few years after my last period the sensation was really intense all day but usually stopped in the evening.  I am on HRT but still get the jittery feeling often and although it is milder I have noticed that it now travels to my right leg. I also have other hormonal issues like low mood and tender breasts.

To quote my book 'Women describe. subtle sensations such as trembling, fluttering, unease and discomfort. More severe feelings of anxiety or panic can arise with little provocation. Tasks that you used to be able to tackle can leave you in total disarray. Mood swings from elation to despondency are common. Your patience is easily exhausted. The future may look hopeless, your loss of self-esteem is precipitous and you may feel truly depressed.'  Does this sound like what you are experiencing? My book goes on to say that low oestrogen is the cause and suggests HRT as a solution..

I hope this helps you in some way and wishing you well.

K.

Caz ann

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2022, 02:57:48 PM »

Hi . i have stated to get twitching muscles started in my nose i thought i was due to just having a coldsore . then bottom lip is stated to twich and now both my calves. i have a blood test thurday. I am 57 and have not really had any menopause symptoms apart from anxiety that has got a bit worse .i have had for about 3 months now

SamP

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2022, 04:49:26 PM »

Thanks for the replies..my neurologist at the time felt I needed to manage my anxiety better which I do try and do but it's constantly there. I had electrolytes tested which were all fine but I have started taking magnesium, vitamin D and electrolyte supplement just in case but to no avail!
I have heard of benign fasiculation syndrome and have researched this area a lot and do think it is likely to be that as I have no other neurological symptoms...I just go into panic mode sometimes thinking it's MND!! My mind likes to catastrophise which isn't helpful or healthy thus increasing the anxiety. I don't think it is a tremble or flutter to be honest it is twitching muscles all over the body which start up as soon as I am awake. Luckily I do sleep! I exercise a lot and when I do exercise I can't feel them.
I am on HRT patches and tablets which has helped the sleep and anxiety and little, also on 50mg day sertraline.
I really appreciate all the replies to this thread and thank you for your time

KaraShannon

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2022, 11:09:29 AM »

Haven't read the whole thread but for the last week I've had twitching in my left leg, under the skin, back of thigh  ::)  As if there's a butterfly in there trying to get out  ;D

Yes it worries me too, but I had it before and I think it might be a hormone thing, so many weird hormone things happening to me  :o

Jjumper

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2022, 02:12:30 PM »

Hi SamP,

I can empathise! I get this, as you describe it, random twitching in places all over my body when my muscles are at rest. Can feel like insects or worms or popping candy under my skin. Or as though I’m being tickled with a feather on the inside. In fact it is going on as I type.

It started for me when I was 37 and absolutely terrified me at the beginning. After finally accepting that it was benign, I assumed it was anxiety related (my gp was not concerned about it and did not refer me for tests). It then seemed to ease for a few years, but since starting HRT in March this year the twitching is very much back (I am now 45) so I have it every day again and it is definitely not connected to anxiety for me this time (I wonder if it just coincided with anxiety last time, rather than being caused by anxiety…)

I have read posts from women online who experience this as a symptom. And I’ve noticed that it seems to be listed as a menopause symptom more and more on websites/articles etc. which is reassuring (this wasn’t the case when I first had it). I don’t know about you but for me just knowing that something is hormone-related can be helpful as it stops the mind wandering off to other places.

So I have now concluded that for me it is oestrogen related and it does not frighten me at all anymore, although it can be annoying sometimes. I read a post on here ages ago from someone who had it as a side effect of HRT (I think) who suggested whether it might be the oestrogen receptors ‘waking up’. Perhaps when I was in my late thirties it was fluctuating oestrogen that caused it which then calmed over the years as oestrogen lowered… now that I am on oestrogen again and my levels are rising perhaps it is causing the same effect. Who knows.

I’ve really not found anything in particular that helps it for me but I can honestly tell you that it does not worry me at all anymore. Just one of those things and if anything it makes me a little bit hopeful nowadays as it may be a sign of oestrogen actually doing something in my body since I started the HRT.

SamP

• First Flush
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2022, 05:53:00 PM »

Oh my goodness I can’t tell you how thankful I am reading your post! I need to try and stop my mind wandering elsewhere and accept it’s related to hormones … it’s so hard sometimes when it’s 24/7 during the day when I’m sat down basically. If I get up and move around or swim / walk I’m fine … also don’t feel it asleep…. It’s really reassured me there are others out there with this with peri and menopause … it started in October after 6 months of HRT so actually maybe it is the HRT??? Thank you so much that’s made me chill out a bit tonight xx

Jjumper

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2022, 12:08:03 PM »

Glad to have helped SamP. I made myself very ill with worry about this particular symptom at the beginning so I can totally understand how distressing it is for you.

I also suffered health-related anxiety about lots of other things for many many years and understand too the vicious cycle of noticing a body sensation, worrying about it, noticing it more, worrying about it more and on and on it goes. I am more aware of my own reassurance- seeking behaviours now which as I understand it from current theory only fuel anxiety rather than dampen it. Nowadays I have to be very strict with myself (in a kind way of course!). If I have a health concern I deal with it once (getting it checked by gp or whatever is required) and then, when I get the all clear or have it dealt with, I stop.

Every time I’m tempted to look it up online or make an appointment with the gp or ask a friend for reassurance or whatever, I do something else to distract myself. It isn’t at all easy but eventually the urge for reassurance fades. I even find forums like this one, although they can be really helpful and reassuring, can allow the worry spiral to continue for me, so I have to be strict with myself about how I use them.

SamP I really feel for you and I wish you all the very best in your efforts to accept your symptom and stop your mind wandering. Be kind to yourself and I’m sure you will get there and have some relief from the awful worrying…

SamP

• First Flush
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2022, 09:01:55 PM »

Really appreciate it.. I too have bad health anxiety and tend to catastrophise every ailment … I’ve had CBT and other things to help and like you said have to stop reassurance seeking which can be hard to do.
I will stop thinking the worst and it’s just reassuring to know it’s not just me! I think anxiety can certainly make it all worse then it’s a viscous circle. Thanks so much x

CathyCowey

• First Flush
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2024, 11:58:21 AM »

Oh my goodness I can’t tell you how thankful I am reading your post! I need to try and stop my mind wandering elsewhere and accept it’s related to hormones … it’s so hard sometimes when it’s 24/7 during the day when I’m sat down basically. If I get up and move around or swim / walk I’m fine … also don’t feel it asleep…. It’s really reassured me there are others out there with this with peri and menopause … it started in October after 6 months of HRT so actually maybe it is the HRT??? Thank you so much that’s made me chill out a bit tonight xx
Hi SamP,

I can empathise! I get this, as you describe it, random twitching in places all over my body when my muscles are at rest. Can feel like insects or worms or popping candy under my skin. Or as though I’m being tickled with a feather on the inside. In fact it is going on as I type.

It started for me when I was 37 and absolutely terrified me at the beginning. After finally accepting that it was benign, I assumed it was anxiety related (my gp was not concerned about it and did not refer me for tests). It then seemed to ease for a few years, but since starting HRT in March this year the twitching is very much back (I am now 45) so I have it every day again and it is definitely not connected to anxiety for me this time (I wonder if it just coincided with anxiety last time, rather than being caused by anxiety…)

I have read posts from women online who experience this as a symptom. And I’ve noticed that it seems to be listed as a menopause symptom more and more on websites/articles etc. which is reassuring (this wasn’t the case when I first had it). I don’t know about you but for me just knowing that something is hormone-related can be helpful as it stops the mind wandering off to other places.

So I have now concluded that for me it is oestrogen related and it does not frighten me at all anymore, although it can be annoying sometimes. I read a post on here ages ago from someone who had it as a side effect of HRT (I think) who suggested whether it might be the oestrogen receptors ‘waking up’. Perhaps when I was in my late thirties it was fluctuating oestrogen that caused it which then calmed over the years as oestrogen lowered… now that I am on oestrogen again and my levels are rising perhaps it is causing the same effect. Who knows.

I’ve really not found anything in particular that helps it for me but I can honestly tell you that it does not worry me at all anymore. Just one of those things and if anything it makes me a little bit hopeful nowadays as it may be a sign of oestrogen actually doing something in my body since I started the HRT.

CathyCowey

• First Flush
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2024, 12:01:18 PM »

I have been twitching for 10 years.  Quite suddenly and obviously went down the rabbit hole.  I have really low oestrogen levels and wondering has the same? it is less than -55 oestriol level..any clues?
Pages: [1] 2